• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dravid back in ODI squad!!

pup11

International Coach
Have huge respect and admiration for Dravid as a player and an individual and without doubt he's my favourite player in the Indian team, but I can't help but think that this sort of treatment is somewhat disrespectful to the great man.

Everytime the Indian batting gets exposed they go running back to him and soon discard him when the they are back playing ODI cricket on flat-tracks, I mean if SRT who is the same age as Dravid can play ODI's for all this time then why couldn't have they allowed the same for Dravid..!?

Its good that he has now officially announced his retirement from the shorter form of the game which atleast saves him from the disgrace of being dropped again from the ODI side.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Just ftr,This is ODI cricket and England is no stranger to having Flat tracks for ODI cricket too. The difference is while in India the low scoring tracks are slow turners in England they will be seaming or swinging.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
It's a bit disappointing, but also offers an opportunity. Disappointing, because we've seen them virtually make it an excuse to go back to Dravid each time batting gets difficult, and eventually offload him for a series where flat decks are available. Let them learn to bat on tough conditions, please! Besides, this is ODI cricket and India are far from struggling there. England is no stranger to laying out carpets for big scores.
Have huge respect and admiration for Dravid as a player and an individual and without doubt he's my favourite player in the Indian team, but I can't help but think that this sort of treatment is somewhat disrespectful to the great man.

Everytime the Indian batting gets exposed they go running back to him and soon discard him when the they are back playing ODI cricket on flat-tracks, I mean if SRT who is the same age as Dravid can play ODI's for all this time then why couldn't have they allowed the same for Dravid..!?

Its good that he has now officially announced his retirement from the shorter form of the game which atleast saves him from the disgrace of being dropped again from the ODI side.
This is the first time they have gone back to him since he has been dropped and the Indian batting in ODI's is far from struggling.So don't where going back to him everytime notion is coming from.
The batting may have struggled in tests wrt the youngsters brought in, but not in ODI's. So, it's not as if desperate measures were required. Infact the strong batting was what won India the World Cup.

I am fine if it was a planned farewell but with Dravid's reaction it seems it was a panic move based on Tests and does not send a good message to the younger players at all.

It's still an opportunity, because the top five (or four) becomes so much stronger, that you have a top six capable of lasting at least 45 overs. You're looking at Sachin-Sehwag-Gambhir-Dravid-Dhoni-Raina, no less. That gives a chance to play a bottom five of bowlers, getting in five full bowlers. Ashwin can bat. Praveen can bat. Mishra can bat. Vinay can bat. While none get you centuries (Ashwin actually has an enviable FC batting record, anyway) from there, their runs add up, and that possibility should be explored. That's what makes the recall of Dravid useful, much as I find it very silly to go back to him only when things are not going good.
That is where Irfan instead of RP for both Tests and ODI's would have been a better fit. RP along with Sree and Ishant is a bad Limited over bowler in any case.

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
This is the first time they have gone back to him since he has been dropped and the Indian batting in ODI's is far from struggling.So don't where going back to him everytime notion is coming from.
The batting may have struggled in tests wrt the youngsters brought in, but not in ODI's. So, it's not as if desperate measures were required. Infact the strong batting was what won India the World Cup.

I am fine if it was a planned farewell but with Dravid's reaction it seems it was a panic move based on Tests and does not send a good message to the younger players at all.
If it was purely to make the Navy Blue valuable, it would be appropriate. However, it is panic. We're not too sure most of the under-25 players really deserve to be in an India uniform, but the timing of this decision was knee-jerk. It's good to hear him choose to retire from ODIs.
That is where Irfan instead of RP for both Tests and ODI's would have been a better fit. RP along with Sree and Ishant is a bad Limited over bowler in any case.
Irfan is an ideal choice anytime, but a little less fit lately- he missed an entire Ranji season. More practical alternatives are Praveen Kumar, Yusuf Pathan, Ashwin and Laxmiratan Shukla, and by a long shot Vinay and Mishra- three of them are already in the squad. India need to build a bowling unit/tail end like England's, with their answer to Bresnan, Broad and Swann- and they have players good enough. Ishant, Praveen and Vinay should make the team in all games, with spin support from Ashwin and Mishra. Can't be too bad.

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Just ftr,This is ODI cricket and England is no stranger to having Flat tracks for ODI cricket too. The difference is while in India the low scoring tracks are slow turners in England they will be seaming or swinging.
Flat tracks also put India at a disadvantage. We hardly find batsmen who truly exploit flat decks- you still find strike rates under 90 or even 80. Worse, India's weak four-man bowling attack gets smashed on flat decks, making it too tough even for their best batting (2009 Champs Trophy, the series against Australia that followed). They need wickets that are evenly balanced, or more bowler-friendly.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Varun Aaron replaces Ishant Sharma.

And Ajinkya Rahane replaces Virendra Sehwag.

Gambhir is doubtful and may be replaced too.

Finally Rahane gets some type of India call up:D , though not sure i want Varun Aaron to make his international debut in ODI's.

Hopefully both get a fair chance though in the team.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Varun Aaron replaces Ishant Sharma.

And Ajinkya Rahane replaces Virendra Sehwag.

Gambhir is doubtful and may be replaced too.

Finally Rahane gets some type of India call up:D , though not sure i want Varun Aaron to make his international debut in ODI's.

Hopefully both get a fair chance though in the team.
Seems to imply that Sehwag wasn't at 100% when he padded up for the third Test, unless he's picked up something new.

I haven't seen Aaron bowl yet. How's his control?

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I guess the plan is to make Rahane open. Not sure about that.

Would rather have had Mukund staying behind too as he has already been there for a while now.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Haven't seen much of Aaron either.

Just the IPL this time and he looked decent and quick. Certainly better than Umesh Yadav or Mithun.

Howe_zat

Audio File
"It's an individual thing, I guess. I don't know why they decided to give up on their pace. I love bowling fast, and it is my strength. I will never compromise on my pace," he told the Indian Express. "And it's a lot of fun to hit people on the head."
Intriguing.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Yeah, he is supposed to consistently bowl above 140 Kmph and has even reached 150 Kmph according to some reports.

Haven't seen much of him at all tbh though. Will be interesting to see how he goes,though judging bowlers on ODI's can sometimes be tough.

Manee

Cricketer Of The Year
No, this guy actually has some pace. In England, he'll probably be mainly at 85mph with the odd ball over 90mph, but still that is better than all other Indian pacers.

shankar

International Debutant
:wallbash: If one wanted to parody the adhoc selection policy of BCCI, them picking Varun Aaron is exactly what you'd have shown.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tbf, they had to select somebody and not the worst of selections seeing as he has some match practice in Australia playing the emerging players tournament.

The rest of the bowlers back in India are in the off season right now and not like many real bowlers ahead of him either who are clear standouts. Better than selecting Sreesanth for ODI's or the RP selection,imo.