• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald Bradman's average

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I wish I had pTalking of squash, another Aussie Heather McKay must be an option for better than Bradman. Only lost 2 matches (1960, 1962) in over 20 years of matches (she retired in 1981). Won 16 consecutive British Opens, the first 2 World Champs
I wish I had mentioned this tbh

Slifer

International Captain
Soz last thing I’ll say about Wilt in this thread but yeah I am a big basketball lover too.

View attachment 32794

Most FG’s attempted in a single season leaderboard, this is why its not such a big deal compared to Bradman, bloke shot the ball 800 more times that season than anyone else ever has.
Again, that's just scoring. Wilt dominated on both ends. In addition to scoring he was pulling down 20 + rebounds and only GOD knows how many blocksand steals at the other end. Steals and blocks weren't official stats his time, had they been, no doubt in my mind that he'd have recorded a quintiple doubles or two. Here is an excerpt:

"On March 18th, 1968 the NBA's greatest record breaker allegedly did something amazing: a quintuple-double (the first and only one in NBA history). The NBA didn't count blocks and steals back then so we don't know what his official numbers were. On that day, however, the belief is that Wilt dropped 53 points, 32 rebounds, 14 assists, 24 blocks, and 11 steals in just a single game. As crazy as that is, it was routine for Chamberlain to put up numbers like that. Back then, he was about as dominant as they come and he was soo good that the NBA had to change some of their rules."

Slifer

International Captain
You should read Migara's post again. Half the spinners you have mentioned played before India became a serious cricket nation.
"Pace bowling is only one aspect of cricket. They produce batsmen and spinners at a rate others cannot match." In quotes is what Mig wrote and he made no mention of any qualifications , therefore I'll assume he meant throughout India's test history, which began in 1932. Every last spinner I mentioned played a test while India was a test nation. Sooo yeah Australia matches India in terms of producing spinners. ✌

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Federer was something special when he was peaking. Not convinced anyone has reached the standard since when he had his first run at no.1. Combination of Nadal/Djokovic/Murray coming along and Federer dropping a bit led to the competitiveness since IMO
Also the heavier balls and slower courts and more of a homogenization of the surfaces. It was the equivalent of the CEO pitches era in cricket AFAIC. And yes, this is a hill I am prepared to die on. Federer is still the GOAT for me.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Also the heavier balls and slower courts and more of a homogenization of the surfaces. It was the equivalent of the CEO pitches era in cricket AFAIC. And yes, this is a hill I am prepared to die on. Federer is still the GOAT for me.
Still Laver for me :D

Chrish

International Debutant
While not a physical sport, what Magnus Carlsen has achieved for almost a decade is simply inhuman..

In this chess machine era, anyone and their grandma can learn playing chess literally from their basement. Competition level is at such a high level with so many players with peak ELO rating that are too close to each other; and yet no one seems to be able to dethrone Carlsen. Simply genius!

ashley bach

International Captain
Shame Bobby Fischer didn't try to achieve more greatness in the game. Some of the things he did though were out of this world, winning the US
championships 8 times, the first when he was 14. Once he won with a perfect 11 wins, not sure if that has ever been done before.
Then in the candidates he beat 2 greats both 6-0, another achievement that I don't know has been equalled.
It's a pity he was stark raving mad. In fact that's being generous, he was a completely insane lunatic.

Chrish

International Debutant
It’s not analogous because competition level in chess is infinitely higher than cricket. If Bradman had averaged what he did playing against 30 countries instead of three, then we can talk..

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
It’s not analogous because competition level in chess is infinitely higher than cricket. If Bradman had averaged what he did playing against 30 countries instead of three, then we can talk..
That is such an atrocious analogy lol

Bradman was an individual player in a team sport. He stood out as an individual player. It's the number of other batsmen in the world he's "competing" against not the other teams.

Chrish

International Debutant
That is such an atrocious analogy lol

Bradman was an individual player in a team sport. He stood out as an individual player. It's the number of other batsmen in the world he's "competing" against not the other teams.
Nope. More number of players competing (bowlers or batsmen), harder it is to dominate the sport.

It applies to both, individual and team sports (Messi vs Ronaldo etc.).

Chrish

International Debutant
You wouldn’t see one team dominating the sport for a decade in Soccer like what happened in Cricket because overall caliber of talent is just higher in Soccer. Plenty of teams play it at extremely high level as opposed to just two or three. That makes it difficult for either the team or individual players to dominate..