• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald Bradman's average

Gob

International Coach
Seriously it's not debatable when it comes to batting. What about that don't you get.

India since 1970:

Gavaskar
Armanath
Vishy
Sidhu
Kambli (that's a stretch)
Sachin
Azhar
Dravid
Laxman
Ganguly
Kohli
Pujara
Sehwag
??????

Australia

Chappell G
Chappell I
Border
Walters
Jones
Waugh S
Waugh
Boon
Katich
Langer
Martyn
Hayden
Taylor
Slater
Warner
Smith
Khawaja
Gilchrist
Hussey
Clarke
Ponting
Etc etc

It's not close. Stop the bs.
Why not group them?

ATG

Aus - Chappell, Border, Waugh, Ponting, Smith
Ind - Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid

ATVG

Aus - Clarke, Hayden, Gilchrist, Warner
India - Kohli, Sehwag

VG

Aus - Chappell I, Walters, Jones, Waugh M, Taylor, Langer, Slater, Martyn, Hussey, Katich, Khawaja, Labuschagne
India - Azar, Vensagar, Amarnath, Ganguly, VVS, Pujara, Vishwanath, Sidhu

Slifer

International Captain
Why not group them?

ATG

Aus - Chappell, Border, Waugh, Ponting, Smith
Ind - Gavaskar, Tendulkar, Dravid

ATVG

Aus - Clarke, Hayden, Gilchrist, Warner
India - Kohli, Sehwag

VG

Aus - Chappell I, Walters, Jones, Waugh M, Taylor, Langer, Slater, Martyn, Hussey, Katich, Khawaja, Labuschagne
India - Azar, Vensagar, Amarnath, Ganguly, VVS, Pujara, Vishwanath, Sidhu
Group them which ever way, Australia still has wayy more class batsmen than India over whatever time frame. It's not close. And with Oz you still have Boon, Redpath, Rogers, Yallop. Oh and two things Gilchrist is an ATG wicket keeper batsman and Hussey is an atvg batsman.

Gob

International Coach
Don't rate Hussey that highly personally. My judgement is probably clouded by the fact that he was always seems to be close to the chopping blocks towards the latter part of his career and decided to retire when he was finally in good form prior to one of the hardest away years for Australia in 2013 leaving Clarke as the only decent bat

On the bright side, that probably brought Steve Smith back to the squad

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Just reading about Tennis now, Bjorn Borg won 11 slams by 25. Then retired at 26 before briefly coming back in his late 30s ala Bob Simpson

If he had not missed a decade of tennis in his prime years, he might have the raised the grand slam bar to a ridiculous height. Interesting what if

Just reading about Tennis now, Bjorn Borg won 11 slams by 25. Then retired at 26 before briefly coming back in his late 30s ala Bob Simpson

If he had not missed a decade of tennis in his prime years, he might have the raised the grand slam bar to a ridiculous height. Interesting what if
And in those days AO wasn’t considered important like now.Same for Laver, Amateur vs professional 7 years in between.
And Sampras won 14 slams at age of 31 and retired winning a slam.If he had rivalry like now between Big 3 ,maybe he would have played more years.

Last edited:

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And reading a bit more, Monica Seles won 8 slams by 19 before getting stabbed on court

That truly is a what if as that massively changed her life and career trajectory

Slifer

International Captain
And reading a bit more, Monica Seles won 8 slams by 19 before getting stabbed on court

That truly is a what if as that massively changed her life and career trajectory
I'll do you one better, Maureen Connolly aka Little Mo. Won 9 majors by the time she turned 20. Those 9 were the last nine she played which means she was undefeated. She was the first woman to win the Grandslam in a calendar year. She had a 92% winning record. Then she had a horrible horse riding accident and was forced to retire. What could have been....

Slifer

International Captain

Yeah but Borg was consistently shut out at the US open and I kinda feel that once McEnroe ended his streak at Wimbledon he lost his aura of invincibility there. Still agree that he probably would've won a few more majors. At the very least at French Open.

shortpitched713

International Captain
Not really tbh. Gretzky average wise, isn't that far ahead of Gordie Howe or Mario Lemieux. Bradman I'd twice as good as what a great batsman averages. That's nuts.
This has nothing to do with your actual point, so don't think I'm nitpicking you, but I hear a lot of time that Bradman was twice as good, or worth twice as much as an ATG batsman.

That's objectively NOT true:

ATG Batting Lineup
Hayden ~ 50
Average Opener ~ 35
Dravid ~ 52.5
Sanga ~ 57.5
Kallis ~ 55
Sum ~ 250

Average Test Team + Bradman
Opener ~ 35
Opener ~ 35
Bradman ~ 100
Mid Bat ~ 40
Mid Bat ~ 40
Sum ~ 250

So, to conclude, when you consider players' value over replacement, Bradman by himself ends up being worth about as much as 4 ATG batsmen in a lineup combined.

PS: I always thought that when playing alongside Bradman, if you had a mix up between the wickets, you'd want to run yourself out instead of him. And it bears out, as he was only run out once out of his 80 innings. Poor Bert Oldfield must have felt a right **** when that happened, although it was still early in Bradman's career, so probably not as egregious. If you run out a Bradman in his prime heyday, you probably ought to just get dropped for sheer stupidity. :laugh:

Slifer

International Captain
This has nothing to do with your actual point, so don't think I'm nitpicking you, but I hear a lot of time that Bradman was twice as good, or worth twice as much as an ATG batsman.

ATG Batting Lineup
Hayden ~ 50
Average Opener ~ 35
Dravid ~ 52.5
Sanga ~ 57.5
Kallis ~ 55
Sum ~ 250

Opener ~ 35
Opener ~ 35
Bradman ~ 100
Mid Bat ~ 40
Mid Bat ~ 40
Sum ~ 250

So, to conclude, when you consider players' value over replacement, Bradman by himself ends up being worth about as much as 4 ATG batsmen in a lineup combined.

PS: I always thought that when playing alongside Bradman, if you had a mix up between the wickets, you'd want to run yourself out instead of him. And it bears out, as he was only run out once out of his 80 innings. Poor Bert Oldfield must have felt a right **** when that happened, although it was still early in Bradman's career, so probably not as egregious. If you run out a Bradman in his prime heyday, you probably ought to just get dropped for sheer stupidity. :laugh:
Imagine that walk back to an Australian dressing room knowing you ran out the Don...

Prince EWS

Global Moderator

ATG Batting Lineup
Hayden ~ 50
Average Opener ~ 35
Dravid ~ 52.5
Sanga ~ 57.5
Kallis ~ 55
Sum ~ 250

Opener ~ 35
Opener ~ 35
Bradman ~ 100
Mid Bat ~ 40
Mid Bat ~ 40
Sum ~ 250

Not all run outs are mix-ups in the sort of way you can sacrifice yourself either. Sometimes batsmen end up just short without a 'yes/no' call.

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year

ATG Batting Lineup
Hayden ~ 50
Average Opener ~ 35
Dravid ~ 52.5
Sanga ~ 57.5
Kallis ~ 55
Sum ~ 250

Opener ~ 35
Opener ~ 35
Bradman ~ 100
Mid Bat ~ 40
Mid Bat ~ 40
Sum ~ 250

Uh why does the hypothetical ATG batting lineup have only an average opener?