• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Donald Bradman's average

Jayro

U19 12th Man
Do you think anyone playing more than 50 tests would ever be able to sustain a better or equal batting average to Bradmans ?

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
The playing conditions have completely changed now. It is not about playing just one format against 1 country within 2 countries anymore. Players will need to be adaptable to strong sena/SC teams, various formats, different balls and a variety of pitches.

So there is no chance one would be able to replicate Bradman's average in future.

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The playing conditions have completely changed now. It is not about playing just one format against 1 country within 2 countries anymore. Players will need to be adaptable to strong sena/SC teams, various formats, different balls and a variety of pitches.

So there is no chance one would be able to replicate Bradman's average in future.
This isn't logical. If Bradman could do it, there's no reason another couldn't come along. You think every wicket and bowler in the 30s and 40s was the same? If anything there was more variety with uncovered pitches and less restrictive rules (eg. bodyline being allowed). They also played a lot more First-class cricket and tour matches so the workload wasn't reduced. There was less Test cricket against minnows back then too, that's one factor that would make it easier to dominate now to a similar extent.

There's only been 1 of him in 150 years though so it might not happen in time before Test cricket goes extinct

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A better argument for why another Bradman wouldn't come along is the increased professionalism in the game now compared to the 1930s/40s. Makes it less likely for an outlier to perform to that extent.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I've looked for examples in other sports as well, to compare. There is nothing like Don Bradman, when it comes to statistical outliers I'm aware of. Not Babe Ruth, not Pele, not Wilt or Russell. He's a standard deviation, in statistical performance, above all of them as well, and one of a kind in modern sporting history. So the answer to OP, is no.

Last edited:

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I've looked for examples in other sports as well, to compare. There is nothing like Don Bradman, when it comes to statistical outliers I'm aware of. Not Babe Ruth, not Pele, not Wilt or Russell. He's a standard deviation above all of them as well, and one of a kind in modern sporting history. So the answer to OP, is no.
Haven’t done a lot of research then have you?

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
I've looked for examples in other sports as well, to compare. There is nothing like Don Bradman, when it comes to statistical outliers I'm aware of. Not Babe Ruth, not Pele, not Wilt or Russell. He's a standard deviation above all of them as well, and one of a kind in modern sporting history. So the answer to OP, is no.
Dhyan Chand scores goals like runs in cricket - Don Bradman.

WG - 1868-1877

Lohmann and Barnes too

Coronis

Cricketer Of The Year
Dhyan Chand scores goals like runs in cricket - Don Bradman.

WG - 1868-1877

Lohmann and Barnes too
iirc isnt there another Indian bloke who scored more goals per game then Chand?

Lohmann and Barnes aren’t as much outliers really are they? First of all there’s 2 of them, plus all the other bowlers with similar averages who also have similar WPM.

Got nothing for WG in first class though, bloke was ridiculous.

shortpitched713

International Captain
I don't think you can compare WG's First Class record to Bradman's Test record. Not really apples to apples in any sense.

And I don't think Barnes or Lohmann's records are statistically nearly as impressive as Bradman's.

I don't know about Chand though, and can't say I even understand enough about the game of field hockey to comment on his output. But if he scored over 1,000 goals, and it's anything like football, then that could put him at roughly Pele level. Who I am confident is not as much of an outlier statistically as Bradman.