• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Malcolm

U19 Vice-Captain
Quality Opposition Average/Runs per innings/Strike-rate: 61.92 55.57 48.33 (rank 6)

No.27 may be slightly lower than what many people were envisioning for George Headley, the 'Black Bradman'. He carried the West Indies through their formative years and lost a lot of his career to the Second World War. Up to the end of 1939, he had played 19 matches and averaged 66.72 (66.04), all of his runs scored against quality opposition.
Does the English second XI he played against in 29/30 and 34/35 count as a quality opposition?

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I still am convinced that he should be rated lower than Hayden. Sehwag was an exaggerated version of Hayden - where Hayden was aggressive, Sehwag was reckless. Where Hayden was weak against the moving ball, Sehwag was positively inept. On his day Sehwag was brutal, powerful and disdainful of the bowling he faced. The moment the ball moved off the seam he was comically incompetent.

His record suggests he was one of the top batsmen of all time. He was. He also wasn't but that didn't matter so much because of the era and environment he played in.

Underrated and overrated player.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
Top 25 prediction -

1.Bradman
2.Smith
3.Sobers
4.Hobbs
5.Lara
6.Viv
7.Tendulkar
8.Sangakkara
9.Hammond
10.Hutton
11.Sutcliffe
12.Kallis
13.Ponting
14.Barrington
15.Chappell
16.Waugh
17.Gavaskar
18.Chanderpaul
19.Younis
20.Dravid
21.Kohli
22.Border
23.Weekes
24.De Villiers
25.Pollock

Last edited:

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
Virender Sehwag was without a shadow of doubt the most entertaining top order batsman I have seen for a decent length of time (ignoring the likes of Viv who I only saw a bit). He started off as a very compact batsman who had the technique to cop up with any challenge is faced. Those hundreds in his first season in SA and Eng are testimony to that. Soon after becoming a permanent opener though, he thought that his best game would be to blast the hell out of the new ball and in the process added a bit of recklessness to his game. He could have become a solid 40-45 averaging opener in the Slater-Gibbs mould if he wanted to, but in the process of taking his destructive batting to another level, he lost a bit of defensive game which especially exposed him in places like Eng in the last stages of his career.

Overall a truly great career even with the holes in his resume. Hats off, Viru.

AndrewB

International Vice-Captain
Sehwag is second on Charles Davis’s list of the fastest scorers, behind Afridi and just ahead of Gilchrist.

Jessop is listed as a footnote (too short a career for the main list) which shows why he was revered: SR of 112, compared to Sehwag’s 82.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
Virender Sehwag was without a shadow of doubt the most entertaining top order batsman I have seen for a decent length of time (ignoring the likes of Viv who I only saw a bit). He started off as a very compact batsman who had the technique to cop up with any challenge is faced. Those hundreds in his first season in SA and Eng are testimony to that. Soon after becoming a permanent opener though, he thought that his best game would be to blast the hell out of the new ball and in the process added a bit of recklessness to his game. He could have become a solid 40-45 averaging opener in the Slater-Gibbs mould if he wanted to, but in the process of taking his destructive batting to another level, he lost a bit of defensive game which especially exposed him in places like Eng in the last stages of his career.

Overall a truly great career even with the holes in his resume. Hats off, Viru.
Had a very bad tail end of career.
Should have retired at end of 2010 - would have averaged 54.01 with a S/R of 82.18 after 86 tests (!).

stephen

Had a very bad tail end of career.
Should have retired at end of 2010 - would have averaged 54.01 with a S/R of 82.18 after 86 tests (!).
And if Ponting had have retired in 2007 he'd have had an average of 59.9 after 110 or so tests.

stephen

My point is that most players play past their prime and average 5-10 runs lower than their peak average.

Logan

U19 Captain
Sachin scored 2951 runs at an average of 50 with 8 centuries in 38 matches this decade. Far better than most middle order even now

ataraxia

International Coach
Top 25 prediction -

1.Bradman
2.Smith
3.Sobers
4.Hobbs
5.Lara
6.Viv
7.Tendulkar
8.Sangakkara
9.Hammond
10.Hutton
11.Sutcliffe
12.Kallis
13.Ponting
14.Barrington
15.Chappell
16.Waugh
17.Gavaskar
18.Chanderpaul
19.Younis
20.Dravid
21.Kohli
22.Border
23.Weekes
24.De Villiers
25.Pollock
Absolutely no way is Tendulkar going to be higher than Hammond IMO. Or Ponting higher than Barrington. Gavaskar/Waugh being higher than Chanders I don't think will happen. Dravid higher than Weekes probs not either. I'll go ABDV next, then Pollock, then Dravid.