• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

DoG's Top 100 Test Batsmen Countdown Thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
If only the quick in that analogy had been fortunate enough to be omitted in unhelpful conditions, he would presumably be rated higher by you.

I realize you're just trolling but if you consider yourself anything approaching a student of cricket and think spinners are less reliant on conditions than quicks then I can give you some vitamin E cream to help with the healing of your lobotomy scars.

sunilz

International Regular
There is no need to bring Lillee everytime when there is a discussion on Ashwin/ Jadeja . There is absolutely no doubt that both of them ( Ashwin in particular ) have failed in SENA countries . If they were good we should have won atleast 1 of the test series in SA or ENG last year . Still can't believe how poorly Ashwin bowled in 2nd test in SA and 4th test in ENG . They both are definitely favourable track bully . plz don't make this another IND vs AUS thread .

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
If only the quick in that analogy had been fortunate enough to be omitted in unhelpful conditions, he would presumably be rated higher by you.

I realize you're just trolling but if you consider yourself anything approaching a student of cricket and think spinners are less reliant on conditions than quicks then I can give you some vitamin E cream to help with the healing of your lobotomy scars.
The quick in question here did the selectors,himself and his fans a huge service by ruling himself out due to injuries, dust, pollution, food whatever.

I do have plenty of Vitamin E in my body. Thanks for the offer anyways. Might suit a needy.

Burgey

No he hasn't . You are completely ignoring his awesome record in Asia + WI.
Team records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo.com

This is a tortured stat but you will get rough idea.
I'm not ignoring it ffs.

Not being picked as a bowler in unhelpful conditions is the equivalent of a batsman getting left out of playing on bunsens or seamers, having a higher average as a result of being picked in Adelaiade and somehow getting rated in the top 30 players of all time ahead of some poor **** who's faced up to the 80s Windies in Perth or to Anderson in England.

Its for this reason, as an analogy though the circs are slightly different, that I rate Chappell lower than others despite an excellent average which is higher than other players who I put ahead of him. He picked and chose his tours too much for my liking. I have little doubt if he'd gone to England in 81 or toured Pakistan or India, he'd have thrived there because he was a great player - but imo he gets marked down because he didn't go. Do you think he should get rated higher, having not played in those places, than blokes who had to toil in those conditions and who have similar or even slightly lesser averages? You may, but it leaves a hole in his record imo.

So it is with someone like Jadeja and his bowling. If you aren't getting picked all the time (which I want to emphasize isn't his fault btw), so that you aren't a Monty to get a game in all conditions, how then can you be elevated up into the top 30 or 50 of ATG bowlers ahead of others who have comparable records but who had to bust their chops on green/ seaming/ fast/ whatever decks while he put his feet up and licked his lips waiting for his next game on a bunsen?

Last edited:

Burgey

There is no need to bring Lillee everytime when there is a discussion on Ashwin/ Jadeja . There is absolutely no doubt that both of them ( Ashwin in particular ) have failed in SENA countries . If they were good we should have won atleast 1 of the test series in SA or ENG last year . Still can't believe how poorly Ashwin bowled in 2nd test in SA and 4th test in ENG . They both are definitely favourable track bully . plz don't make this another IND vs AUS thread .
Thank you for this. I have been trying to emphasize that I am in no way saying Jadeja or Ashwin are useless. Far from it. But as I have emphasized, to be ranked that high all time is a massive call, more so imo when you aren't an automatic pick for your regular side. That's all I'm saying here.

I think Jadeja's batting has gone through the roof in the past few years, fwiw. Enough that I would pick him ahead of Ashwin all the time these days, even were it the case Ashwin was arguably a point or two better bowler. It's go tto the point where I would like him if he (a) lost the Kohli clone beard, and (b) did away with that idiotic sword thing he does.

Burgey

Way to derail a great thread guys. How does Dogs 100 best batsmen thread turn into this ATG bowler drivel?
It facilitates discussion around player ratings. That relates to bowling or batting ratings, particularly when DoG has provided ratings methods for both, and put a **** load of effort into it. I don't think anyone has to deferentially sit here and say "Please bestow upon us no.81, oh benevolent one", and I don't think DoG would want to do that anyway.

Burgey

I've literally not even started, nor am I going to. I thought it was a pretty reasonable discussion concerning what are after all very high-level rankings tbh, but everyone probably knows where each other stands so it's best left where it is I suppose.

h_hurricane

For what its worth, Jadeja has played 68% of his matches at home. In the case of Lillee it is 63%. Ashwin has 61% of his overall matches at home. All the more reason for bucketing them into one category.

h_hurricane

It facilitates discussion around player ratings. That relates to bowling or batting ratings, particularly when DoG has provided ratings methods for both, and put a **** load of effort into it. I don't think anyone has to deferentially sit here and say "Please bestow upon us no.81, oh benevolent one", and I don't think DoG would want to do that anyway.
Agree with his. DoG has put in a monumental effort here and hats off to him. Gives him a breathing space if anything.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
After Jadeja appeared on DoG's bowlers ranking thread, I remember there were some 4-5 pages of back and forth before next bowler was revealed. Jadeja does this to CWers.

Bolo.

Its a measure of the statistically greatest careers, not a divine proclamation on who the best players are.

jaideep

U19 12th Man
I will try to predict the top 25 -

1.Bradman
2.Smith
3.Sobers
4.Hobbs
5.Lara
6.Tendulkar
7.Viv
8.Sangakkara
9.Hammond
10.Hutton
11.Ponting
12.Sutcliffe
13.Kallis
14.Headley
15.Barrington
16.Chappell
17.Waugh
18.Weekes
19.Gavaskar
20.Walcott
21.Border
22.Younis
23.Dravid
24.Kohli
25.Pollock

Last edited:

Bolo.

My prediction is that G Smith will crack the top 20 and be the highest ranked bat averaging sub 50. The changes to the formula benefit him a lot.

Slifer

International Captain
It is surprising that there has been no all rounder with a batting average of 40+ and bowling average less than 30.

Ravindra Jadeja has a decent chance to achieve that target.

He currently has a batting average of 36 and bowling average of 25.
Pardon my ignorance but didnt Faulkner average 40+ with bat and 26 with the ball??