• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you think Murali was a chucker?

Do you think Murali was a chucker?

• Total voters

uvelocity

International Coach
Then should have said like Chaminda Vaas and Zaheer Khan. Meh!

As much as means up to 12 degrees. Their maximum extension is 12 degrees. Basic maths it is!
they could have said anybody. It's all derived from a quote by Angus Fraser;

"While we watched the likes of [Glenn] McGrath, [Shaun] Pollock, [Steve] Harmison and Donald, we quickly realised that the levels [of tolerance] were far too low," Fraser said. "All those bowlers possessed actions any youngster would be wise to copy, yet their bowling arms were nowhere near as straight as we anticipated.
however you are deliberately misquoting to try to push a barrow. your attempted ambiguation is both childish and disingenuous. It does nothing to further understanding or adult discussion and should be discouraged.

Bending the rules on chucking - Cricket - www.smh.com.au

uvelocity

International Coach
One other thing which confuses me regarding Murali, is in the video mentioned earlier he bowls in a brace which is demonstrated to have no elbow movement whatsoever. And he bowls normally. The only bowler who was actually given a figure anywhere I can find, is murali, with his doosra, at 14 degrees.

If he can bowl in an arm brace with no bend, why then in testing is there such a difference?

Bruce Elliott said:
"Murali straightened his arm 14 degrees when bowling the doosra. That's the upper end of what's acceptable and you wouldn't want to see it go beyond that."

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
One other thing which confuses me regarding Murali, is in the video mentioned earlier he bowls in a brace which is demonstrated to have no elbow movement whatsoever. And he bowls normally. The only bowler who was actually given a figure anywhere I can find, is murali, with his doosra, at 14 degrees.

If he can bowl in an arm brace with no bend, why then in testing is there such a difference?
I think the unusual way he bowls creates the straightening rather than the other way around. The brace just stopped his arm straightening; an effect his action creates naturally but isn't dependant on the result of.

Psycho Macaque

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
Ah, the "if I state something authoritatively, it must be true" line of post. I especially like the application of this when what is being stated ("we all decided") is blatantly false. Kudos to you, Sir, for taking it up a notch in the absurd posting stakes.
No, not at all. I don't pretend to be some authority. I just innocently meant that I watched him bowl week in week out and I saw some sort of 'kink' in hois action. OK, that 'kink' was a blatantly humongous chuck... like when Steve Backley threw a javelin... you know, when you just could tell when the arm was giantly bent and then suddenly all mystically straight.... it was weird... it was like... well, it was like he chucked the ball down the other end... sort of chucky style... but whatevs... talented little chucker, that one... like he was comfortable bending the rules because he felt like it.. lovely to see, if you like the odd chuck.

Psycho Macaque

What 'guy'? Me? Oh yes I'm real. 'How real?' you're wondering? Wellllllllllllllllllll, as real enough to have watched such an abundant amount of cricket it's unreal and the only four bowlers have looked like massive chuckers to me have been Murali, Bhajji, Shabbir Ahmed and Saeed Ajmal. How much did Murali look like a chucker? Well, it's almost imperceivable. But he chucked it loads. I didn't realise there were that many sympathisers in the world still. I couldn't believe the pathetically happyclappy little stance a few of you took on the whole 'he was tested' thing... it made me lose faith in your forums ability to be objective and see the whole picture. But that's cool. I can see a lot of you are like unprofessional in your trains of thought. It's good for me... like a bunch of Forrest Gumps, I'm not saying I feel superior but.....

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, this is all a bit '2001'.

I thought we'd moved past this.

I thought we'd all decided that it was blatantly obvious that he chucked. That the conditions under which he was tested was nothing like match conditions. That he was just lolloping up and dobbing it down rather than trying to impart as many revs as he could on the ball.

His doosra was miles worse - his offies were OK most of the time, unless he was desperately striving for wickets. I'm sort of stunned batsmen didn't pick his doosra more easily. If it looked a 'dodgy' delivery it was more often than not going do be a doosra.

Mental though, this thread, I feel like I've gone through a timewarp.
Clearly the international batsmen don't have the benefit of your keen eye or your cricket experience (of 'watching it loads') to judge something like that.

Psycho Macaque

I don't think you quite grasp the meaning of the word 'objective', given your luddism.
Yeah, OK - tell me what agenda I have then? Is it nationalism? Bias against SL or subcontinentals in general? Jealousy?

Orrrrrrrrrrrr, maybe, just maybe he chucked? No? I hate peoples little pernickety views on why people think Murali chucked - it's pathetic. You don't agree - cool, fine, you're probably wrong - but to bring the word 'objectivity' into it is a load of cods... I'm objective - I have no huge allegance or agenda - just chucking.

Psycho Macaque

Clearly the international batsmen don't have the benefit of your keen eye or your cricket experience (of 'watching it loads') to judge something like that.
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeahhhhhhhh. Good effort... I suppose it's much more easy seeing the utterly huge chuck from behind the bowler's arm.....

Psycho Macaque

Ohh yeah, you got me there. 'Assertions', like we can't see it with our own eyes. This is all a bit 'meh' - as I said, it's well over 10 years old.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!

Aside from the whopping brace on his arm, was years between the two events and he'd been tested and cleared repeatedly through that time. Stands to reason he'd have made some adjustments.