• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Do you like Ian Chappell?

Do you like Ian Chappell

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Is this poll prompted by his latest missive on Steve Waugh, Bradman and someone else I can't recall who he spoke about for the millionth time today but I stopped listening because I'd heard it all before?

Burgey

Well, I think we can all agree he isn't as big a **** as Botham, because few people are. He may be as big a **** as Bradman, but wasn't half the player. And I think he's wrong about Steve Waugh, who I don't regard as a selfish cricketer at all. Certainly not as selfish as someone like a Kallis or a Tendulkar, for example.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
He said most selfish Australian cricketer he's ever seen, so Kallis and Tendulkar are irrelevant.

How he could say he's more selfish than Clarke and Warne is beyond me though.

Burgey

Yeah, good point. He was obviously thinking of Kallis and Tendulkar when he limited his comments about Waugh to Australians only.

I don't think Clarke was ever selfish in the way he batted or his on field leadership tbh. I can't recall him, for example, delaying declarations to get to a milestone. If the reports of the way he carried on are accurate, there might be something to him being selfish around he change room and team structure. Warne seems a narcissist tbh.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Clarke was a selfish vice captain and he's basically admitted as much.

Warne's reaction to being dropped by Steve Waugh shows him as selfish imo. Of course it is also an example of a lot of other traits, but its definitely selfish. The fact he still goes on about it is incredible.

duffer

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's less cringe than the newer guys on Nein but that isn't saying much. Something about the guy makes him very hard to like though.

Probably because he seems to think he's the authority on everything.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Yeah, good point. He was obviously thinking of Kallis and Tendulkar when he limited his comments about Waugh to Australians only.

I don't think Clarke was ever selfish in the way he batted or his on field leadership tbh. I can't recall him, for example, delaying declarations to get to a milestone. If the reports of the way he carried on are accurate, there might be something to him being selfish around he change room and team structure. Warne seems a narcissist tbh.
Not delaying declarations and going for the glory tactics are just as selfish as playing for personal milestones tbh. The guys who only want the team to win will always be able to get the balance right. Captaincy glory is no different to any other personal milestone glory as far as I am concerned. What I mean is, it is one thing to declare when you think you have a reasonable chance of winning. Quite another to declare coz you are known for funky declarations and want to keep up that image.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
As far as Ian Chappell is concerned, he is definitely a very shrewd analyst of the game. And while most of his "it was not liket his in my day" and "aggro is everything" repetations can get boring, there are lots of truths in what he says. His grumpiness is annoying but overall, he is still the best in the Channel 9 dumb-box. :)

OverratedSanity

Very mixed on him. He can sometimes provide genuine insight in the combox, which, in an environment where everyone else is doing the matey matey shtick, is a welcome change. He's a grumpy old man, but that's not necessarily a bad thing as it can be entertaining to listen to. But, yeah, he can be annoying and flat out stupid too, like when he called this lbw decision "marginal" justifying it with the "the shot was bad so he should be out" logic. Stuff like that shows a stubbornnness which I can't stomach and find much more annoying than his comments on Waugh/Bradman etc.

Last edited: