• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Did Imran Khan use to do intense ball tempering frequently?

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
there are 2 things that are normally affected by such allegations. 1. the integrity of the player as a person and 2.the integrity of the player as a cricketer. Here in Bedi's case you have quoted a single instance of him where he tried to remove grass from the pitch. nothing more. that shows he once tried to do some thing not descent for cricketer just like say Lillee once using aluminium bat and caught.are there a lot of instances and persons alleging Bedi for such sort of behaviour? then i admit.. what you are saying has some matter in it and that Bedi was not that much perfect as a cricketer. but this is a single instance. so there is nothing much to it.

now who was the player in 1993 series. any evidence?
Manoj Prabhakar, and there was plenty of evidence. Even Almanack has it.

And LOL at equating ball tampering to pitch tampering. It has an official complaint too. Afridi's ball eating has gone viral as blatant cheating, but this? The worst piece of cheating I have ever heard from a cricket captain. And if you think this is made up,

1. This article was there for 7 years,a dn Sunday Times is a well reputed newspaper in SL. bedi has taken no legal action for libel.
2. The Written complaint is still with Ahamedabad cricket club. It was swept under carpet in the name on keeping relations with the countries.

Last edited:

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Manoj Prabhakar, and there was plenty of evidence. Even Almanack has it.

And LOL at equating ball tampering to pitch tampering. It has an official complaint too. Afridi's ball eating has gone viral as blatant cheating, but this? The worst piece of cheating I have ever heard from a cricket captain. And if you think this is made up,

1. This article was there for 7 years,a dn Sunday Times is a well reputed newspaper in SL. bedi has taken no legal action for libel.
2. The Written complaint is still with Ahamedabad cricket club. It was swept under carpet in the name on keeping relations with the countries.
Its more likely that Bedi can't afford the legal fees and/or doesn't believe that the bloke that wrote that piece could satisfy any judgment he got than he doesn't think he could prove his case

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
What ever, even looking at the scorecard the dodgyness is un mistakable. From heavy scoring to complete devastation against spinners.

Daemon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
He cheated. Doesn't matter how many people did it or whether he got away with it, he cheated. Taste it smali.

subshakerz

International Coach
He did and a lot of posters here conveniently ignore it. I used to not want to believe it before I heard a past Pakistan player admit one game during a lunch break that not only did Imran tamper with the ball but he taught and encouraged them to do it as well.

So while others here rank him as one of the top 4 or 5 players of all time, I state my objections and am generally accused of bias but he was a blatant cheat and also while his overall record looks great his record away from home is not to an ATG status and his godly home record was probably somewhat assisted by what even he termed as "patriotic umpires".

So between the cheating, difference between home and away record (considering the dead pitches in Pakistan compared to the helpful ones in England during the era) I can't consider him a top 5 player of all time.
He was though still an ATG player and an inspirational if somewhat o er rated captain who played his heart out for his team and adaptable as showed how he reinvented himself after his injury and worked on his batting.
Thats just plain wrong. During his peak from 80-88, when he had mastered reverse swing and had his pace, he achieved excellent results in England, Australia and WI as well, so it is an insult to suggest that ball tampering is the key to his success. Outside of 80-88, his record at home was about as ordinary as it was outside home.

subshakerz

International Coach
Ball tampering was a cricketing norm and was only scandalized when Imran and co were able to achieve success with the 'dark art' of reverse swing which opposing team were unprepared for.

I dont consider mild ball tampering a big deal at all. Imran actually talked about his Sussex incident as a case of what should not happen on the international level.

And before we target Imran unfairly:

Hadlee in favour of ball tampering (5 Feb 1995) | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo
'
ICC should let bowlers 'prepare' the ball - Donald | South Africa Cricket News | ESPN Cricinfo

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.sport.cricket/XLBiDQrisYQ

Muloghonto

U19 12th Man
Thats just plain wrong. During his peak from 80-88, when he had mastered reverse swing and had his pace, he achieved excellent results in England, Australia and WI as well, so it is an insult to suggest that ball tampering is the key to his success. Outside of 80-88, his record at home was about as ordinary as it was outside home.
imran's succcess from early 80s-88 can be easily explained and it wasnt all just pure skill, though a considrable part of his success was that he was fast, he was a damn smart bowler and had quite a few tools in his armory, while being at his physical peak for the early 80s.
But two major components of his success was a) ball tampering and b) cherry picking the best overs. I saw imran live and he cherry-picked the prime bowling options in his latter years. He would only ever bowl the opening overs and to the strict tailenders from mid/late 80s onwards. If two batsmen were set, he rarely bowled and did only 2-3 overs stints to give releif to the other main bowlers.
If every fast bowler bowled 7 overs at the start of an innings, 2-3 overs in the period between 20 and 50 overs, then bowled to tailenders or waited for the new ball, their figures would be better.

smash84

The Tiger King
But two major components of his success was a) ball tampering and b) cherry picking the best overs. I saw imran live and he cherry-picked the prime bowling options in his latter years. He would only ever bowl the opening overs and to the strict tailenders from mid/late 80s onwards. If two batsmen were set, he rarely bowled and did only 2-3 overs stints to give releif to the other main bowlers.
If every fast bowler bowled 7 overs at the start of an innings, 2-3 overs in the period between 20 and 50 overs, then bowled to tailenders or waited for the new ball, their figures would be better.
lol wut?

This thread is getting ridiculous by the minute :laugh:

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Smali, the ridiculous is yet to come, this **** will hit the fan when somebody makes a comparison of the 80s all rounders (Botham, Imran, Kapil, Procter, Hadlee) and rate them the better on who was the "least intense ball tamperer"! :p

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
imran's succcess from early 80s-88 can be easily explained and it wasnt all just pure skill, though a considrable part of his success was that he was fast, he was a damn smart bowler and had quite a few tools in his armory, while being at his physical peak for the early 80s.
What exactly is wrong with cherry picking overs. Just makes him more intelligent than the rest. If someone uses his brain to become a better cricketer, I don't see anything wrong with that and should be considered as an ATG if his acheivement is at that level. In addition, Imran has a higher percentage of wickets of the top and middle order than the tailenders.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
What exactly is wrong with cherry picking overs. Just makes him more intelligent than the rest. If someone uses his brain to become a better cricketer, I don't see anything wrong with that and should be considered as an ATG if his acheivement is at that level. In addition, Imran has a higher percentage of wickets of the top and middle order than the tailenders.
I don't know if Imran cherry picked his overs, but if he did (I will smack the poster on the head who chooses to ignore this part in his response) how does that not count against him? It's not the same as allowing your best bowler to bowl downwind or pick an end based off scuff marks on the pitch. It would be actively abdicating from an unfavourable match situation. No place for that sort of behaviour in team sport.

smash84

The Tiger King
I don't know if Imran cherry picked his overs, but if he did (I will smack the poster on the head who chooses to ignore this part in his response) how does that not count against him? It's not the same as allowing your best bowler to bowl downwind or pick an end based off scuff marks on the pitch. It would be actively abdicating from an unfavourable match situation. No place for that sort of behaviour in team sport.
You would have to be really stupid to believe in the cherry picking myth being woven here. Imran has a fairly low percentage of tail en wickets. He was Pakistan s premier strike bowler till 1988. In his last 3 years he played pretty much as a batsman and rarely bowled. Some nitwits think that is cherry picking overs to get cheap wickets. They dont know **** about imran's career.

And agent your arguments are quite silly. Try to avoid posting in this thread. :)