• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dhoni Vs KP ; ODIs

Who's the better ODI player?

• Total voters

Matt79

Global Moderator
People seem to be focused solely on batting, ignoring that Dhoni is a genuine allrounder, whereas KP can bowl a bit, but you wouldn't rely on him bowling 10 overs a match. The question didn't specify to only consider their batting. And Dhoni > KP as captain...

Precambrian

Banned
People seem to be focused solely on batting, ignoring that Dhoni is a genuine allrounder, whereas KP can bowl a bit, but you wouldn't rely on him bowling 10 overs a match. The question didn't specify to only consider their batting. And Dhoni > KP as captain...
And a better captain too.

pup11

International Coach
I think Dhoni has changed himself dramatically as a batsman in the last one year, he from being a complete dasher has changed into a smart ODI middle order batsman who keeps the scoreboard moving and never lets the team get bogged down, and apart from this his wicketkeeping abilities too do give him a slight edge over KP, but having said this, i think Dhoni has an advantage over Pietersen due to strength of the Indian batting line-up, Pietersen with the English ODI side clearly lacks that luxury.

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Given his overall contribution to the team, including keeping wicket and captaincy, I'd say easily Dhoni. I personally think KP is the superior batsman.

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I kinda presumed the question was about batting. Dhoni's obviously better if you take captaincy and wicket keeping into account.

biased indian

International Coach
it has to be batting other wise how you can compare those two at this stage

for me what i am more impressed is dhoni was a guy whom you wanted at crease to score say 8 runs per over ...form that he is now in a class similar to Bevan(still alot to do reach there in full) a guy whom you can depend to see you through in tight situations...Dhoni for me if your chasing and KP if you are setting a target

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
As an ODI player: Dhoni>>>>Pietersen
As an ODI batsman: Dhoni>Pietersen
As a test player: Pietersen>Dhoni
As a test batsman: Pietersen>>>>>>>>>>Dhoni

G.I.Joe

International Coach
To me, KP is in the Tendulkar mould - a boom or bust player. He's more likely to go for the 100 than an unbeaten 50 (although that also has to do with him batting higher up than Dhoni).

Dhoni has in the past shown that he too can play the big innings (183* in a chase is incredible stuff), but he's changed his game for the sake of his team. He's now on the path to becoming an upgraded version of Bevan, the same sit-down-and-finish-your-peas stickability, but with a much superior strike rate.

KP is the better batsman to watch in the conventional sense. Both batsmen have displayed an ability to innovate, Dhoni's unorthodox methods have a cheekiness to them, while Pietersen's unorthodox game has an audacity to it.

Without bringing the wicketkeeping or captaincy or the intangibles like aura into the equation, I'd find it difficult to choose one.

I've got both of them in my team in the ODI draft. So yeah, this whole post was merely a build up so I could gloat on that :D

Last edited:

social

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
"Legend", "Upgraded version of Bevan" - can I have some of what you guys are smoking?

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
DWTA. That is particular, in fact very particular criteria. Also, tell me when has Pietersen bailed out England from such a situation? And Dhoni is equally if not more destructive in such a case.
In his debut ODI series he would have done it three times if he had better support.

Actually examples to come to mind ATM, was that ODI vs Australia @ Bristol in the 2005 summer, CT06 vs WI..

Uppercut

It's a bit of a strange thing to ask. Pretty much every ODI success England have had in the past few years has been largely down to KP.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Word, KP carries the ENG batting ODI line-up alot more than any batsman i've ever seen in my time of watching cricket (no disrespect to A Flower & Tikolo).

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
It's a bit of a strange thing to ask. Pretty much every ODI success England have had in the past few years has been largely down to KP.
Well what do you expect from the guy who also said that KP can't play spin?

G.I.Joe

International Coach
IMO, KP plays top class spin better than Dhoni. Dhoni is better against the lower tier of spinners.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
DWTA. Dhoni showed his ability to face Murali and Mendis, pretty much the best spinners in the world atm, in ODIs in favorable conditions.
And KP plays Warne and Murali better. Saying KP is better than Dhoni against top class spin doesn't equate to Dhoni being crap against them. It just means he's not as good.

Uppercut

He benefits from current tactics in ODIs. The generally done thing is to allow the batsmen easy singles, letting them hum along at 4 an over. When Dhoni's at the crease he picks the gaps and runs so well between the wickets that he ends up humming along at about 6 or 7 an over.