• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Dennis Amiss - How Do You Rate him?

Johan

U19 12th Man
same way as Glenn Turner , he also confused me , there is barely any discussion regarding him even though his statistics make him look a borderline ATG , averaging 53.7 as an opener in 70s and his away average 10 odd higher then home , only really failed against Australia , averages 40+ against everyone else and also seems a very competent one day player with 48 average and 73 SR in 70s at that , how do you guys rate him?

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
I started following the game in the early 1970s, so his peak years were ideally timed to make a huge impression on me, and I thought the world of him. As you say, he struggled against Australia. That was hardly unforgivable against Lillee & Thomson in 1974/75 and, thereafter, I reckon there was a mental element to that. Similar to Gooch for years after his debut pair actually, but that's another story. I think it's fair to say that he struggled against genuine pace, his 200 on a slow Oval wicket in 1976 not withstanding. But he played enough innings of the highest class to suggest that he was a very fine player indeed. Such a shame that there doesn't seem to be any footage available of his innings in the WI during the 1973/74 series. Or his huge hundred at the start of the 1976/77 series in India. Nice to see him remembered here.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Is it fair to say the 1970s had the best openers of any decade: Gavaskar, Greenidge, Fredericks, Boycott, Amiss, Turner, Redpath, Majid Khan, as well as Barry Richards and Barlow? They did especially well considering the quality pace bowlers of the era.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Is it fair to say the 1970s had the best openers of any decade: Gavaskar, Greenidge, Fredericks, Boycott, Amiss, Turner, Redpath, Majid Khan, as well as Barry Richards and Barlow? They did especially well considering the quality pace bowlers of the era.
Redpath is another bloke people hardly remember though his stats are pretty good.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Most of the decade was extremely high scoring and had 3 great pacers in Lillee, Roberts and Snow for the most part. Lillee was out injured for a long time and Snow barely played. It's only the latter third which saw the rise of fast bowling really. I don't think the 70s were particularly tough on the whole. Late 70s sure but I doubt many openers were piling on the runs then.

BazBall21

International Regular
Most of the decade was extremely high scoring and had 3 great pacers in Lillee, Roberts and Snow for the most part. Lillee was out injured for a long time and Snow barely played. It's only the latter third which saw the rise of fast bowling really. I don't think the 70s were particularly tough on the whole. Late 70s sure but I doubt many openers were piling on the runs then.
Yeah and WSC benefitted from the early stages of fast bowling really taking off. Do you consider the 80s a tough era for batting?

Aritro

International Regular
I've heard good things about "Money" (1984) and "Time's Arrow" (1991) but never read them. I got a little way into "Lionel Asbo: State of England" (2012) but it all seemed a bit sneery and classist.

You have to feel for him though because no matter what Dennis Amiss does in life, he'll always be in the shadow of his illustrious father Kingsley; a fine opening batsman for Warwickshire and England.

wpdavid

Hall of Fame Member
Anyway, in answer to the question, my somewhat imprecise ranking of England's openers since I've been watching the game is this:
Level 1 - Boycott, Amiss and Gooch
Level 2 - Cook
Level 3 - Stewart, Vaughan, Trescothick and Stauss
Level 4 - Atherton
Level 5 - Broad, Robinson and Fowler
Level 6 - Butcher, Sibley and Burns
But please don't ask me to justify any of that. And I've probably forgotten someone anyway.

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I've heard good things about "Money" (1984) and "Time's Arrow" (1991) but never read them. I got a little way into "Lionel Asbo: State of England" (2012) but it all seemed a bit sneery and classist.

You have to feel for him though because no matter what Dennis Amiss does in life, he'll always be in the shadow of his illustrious father Kingsley; a fine opening batsman for Warwickshire and England.
wot?

Time’s Arrow is a decent read though. Better than any of the blustery old tripe that Kingsley wrote.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Anyway, in answer to the question, my somewhat imprecise ranking of England's openers since I've been watching the game is this:
Level 2 - Cook
Level 4 - Atherton
But please don't ask me to justify any of that. And I've probably forgotten someone anyway.
A fair call, but I would have rated Broad higher - purely on his heroics in the 86/87 Ashes series where he averaged almost 70.

BazBall21

International Regular
Level 2 - Cook
Level 4 - Atherton
Agree mostly but think Atherton and Strauss should be same tier