• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Declining batting orders making rookies look good?

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Umar Akmal say hello. And don't worry all the top teams have decent prospects waiting in the wings when the legends retire.

As for batting declining. T20 is causing a lot of the batsmen to forget where their off stump is.

Jacknife

International Captain
The only thing I've noticed recently that's helped the bowlers out, is that there have been some very good sporting pitches, which in turn have created exciting test matches. Some batsman's techniques have been found wanting soon as the deck has some life in it, which has been a bit of a surprise tbf.

Athlai

Not Terrible
We've had a few matches that offered something for the bowlers recently, and it has been awesome.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Asad Shafiq, Azhar Ali, Umar Akmal say hello. And don't worry all the top teams have decent prospects waiting in the wings when the legends retire.

As for batting declining. T20 is causing a lot of the batsmen to forget where their off stump is.
Did i even mention Pakistan? :unsure: also Akmal has been dropped several times lately so questions have to be asked about whether he's gonna make an impact in the future, the guys you name may have potential but what are Pak gonna do when Ul Haq and Khan hang up their bats? it will leave a huge hole imo.

Flem274*

123/5
Chanderpaul retiring will have the same effect, likewise Sangakara for Sri Lanka, and perhaps Kallis for South Africa.

On the bright side, England, South Africa, NZ and the Windies have very few batsmen on the verge of retirement. The English blokes are hitting their straps, the South Africans have Smith, AB and Amla (with Elgar and Rossouw in the wings) to bridge the Kallis gap and despite the Australian speed wobbles NZ have batsmen on the rise, and the West Indies have just brought in new blood.

Test match batting will be fine tbh.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Think it's more to do with some more sporting wickets giving the bowlers some movement for all 80 overs between new balls.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Chanderpaul retiring will have the same effect, likewise Sangakara for Sri Lanka, and perhaps Kallis for South Africa.

On the bright side, England, South Africa, NZ and the Windies have very few batsmen on the verge of retirement. The English blokes are hitting their straps, the South Africans have Smith, AB and Amla (with Elgar and Rossouw in the wings) to bridge the Kallis gap and despite the Australian speed wobbles NZ have batsmen on the rise, and the West Indies have just brought in new blood.

Test match batting will be fine tbh.
I think SL are gonna be in serious trouble as most of their key batsmen are around 33/34, so unlike us missing one in Chanders they are likely to miss three or four at the same time, i agree about NZ and England but i do think SA will have a problem when Kallis goes and they will have to change their line-up due to him being an alrounder,

In closing even though Chanders will be missed it was very encouraging that we managed to get 590 in India without him, it was a glimpse into the future that i very much enjoyed!! :D .

Athlai

Not Terrible
33/34 year old batsman still leave them 2-4 years to replace them though. Not like Mathews and Chandimal haven't shown a lot of promise either.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Did i even mention Pakistan? :unsure: also Akmal has been dropped several times lately so questions have to be asked about whether he's gonna make an impact in the future, the guys you name may have potential but what are Pak gonna do when Ul Haq and Khan hang up their bats? it will leave a huge hole imo.
Replacing Younis will be difficult, but we have Misbah type players in the domestic circuit.

Umar Akmal is back in the team for England. :)

Fawad Alam can be a potential replacement for Younis.

You don't need to worry about Pak, we are never short of talent.

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Replacing Younis will be difficult, but we have Misbah type players in the domestic circuit.

Umar Akmal is back in the team for England. :)

Fawad Alam can be a potential replacement for Younis.

You don't need to worry about Pak, we are never short of talent.
I think lacking that experience in the middle order is bound to hurt, but what may hurt more is when Ajmal, Rehman and Cheema call it a day!!.. :D .

WindieWeathers

International Regular
33/34 year old batsman still leave them 2-4 years to replace them though. Not like Mathews and Chandimal haven't shown a lot of promise either.
Yeah Mathews has been a revelation this year and Chandimal looks very talented, but the problem for SL is that most of their middle order are old, so they are gonna have to replace them in pretty much the same time frame, which is gonna be very hard to do imo, and it's the same thing India are gonna be facing soon!!..i can't wait to see how they deal with that!! :laugh: .

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Cheema isn't even in my Pakistan XI squad. Gul, Junaid, Wahab all ahead of him. In fact we also have Talha in the squad for England and he is the quickest Pak bowler. Even faster than Wahab.

Ajmal can be replaced by Raza Hasan, or Usman Qadir (Abdul Qadir's son).

WindieWeathers

International Regular
Cheema isn't even in my Pakistan XI squad. Gul, Junaid, Wahab all ahead of him. In fact we also have Talha in the squad for England and he is the quickest Pak bowler. Even faster than Wahab.

Ajmal can be replaced by Raza Hasan, or Usman Qadir (Abdul Qadir's son).
You mean the same "Raza Hasan" i saw Kraigg Brathwaite toy with at the u19 world cup? ok then!!..not sure he has the same "mystery" as Ajmal though!! :D , Usman Qadir doesn't have much of a FC record right now either, not sure it's healthy to be relying on kids, i could name Yannic Cariah (Trinidad Leggy) and Amir Khan (Guyana Leggy) and say they could be the next "superstars" but i'd just be guessing really, right now all our hopes are on Sunil Narine and for good reason too.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
You guys can't even play spin anyway, so stop worrying about Pakistan's future prospects and start worrying about your own.

As I have said, Pakistan is never really short of talent.

Flem274*

123/5
So this thread has officially become a chest-beating pissing contest. Coolos.
That's giving it some serious benefit of the doubt in the first place.

In other news, Ross Taylor will be the best batsman in the world, Kane the second best, and Jesse the third. Doug Bracewell will take 500 wickets at 21 and Boult 450 at 23.

I am also writing this with a straight face.