• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of Wicketkeepers Poll

capt_Luffy

International Regular
This is a bad take. Ian Healy was about as pure a glove man as there's been since the Allan Knott-Bob Taylor era. Genuinely a level above most anyone who's come along since with the gloves save Jack Russell. The bloke was genuinely outstanding.
I thought the same about Saha and Jayawardene that's why I commented.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why are people voting for Healy? Was his keeping really that good to make up for average batting?
Before Gilchrist started the modern fad, Healy's batting was perfectly fine for a keeper though. He made some important runs too.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I know it's going to be a hot take, but I think most older keepers are sufficiently overrated. Why? Let's see Healy for example. An exceptional keeper, not shoddy as a batsman but nothing special also. Will probably make the top 5 in the poll. Is he a better keeper than Jayawardene or Saha? Or a better bat than them? Really tough to say, he definitely has the edge for longevity, but given both of them will probably not make the list; I made this claim.
Saha and Jayawardene are/were nothing special with the bat. They were excellent keepers (about Parore level). What set Healy apart is that he came in as a young unknown when Australia were at a low ebb and became the heart of the team - another Rod Marsh but with better keeping skills. His keeping to Warne added much to Australia's ability to compete with everyone and to become world no 1. (Gilchrist added to that with his batting). He might be a terrible commentator but he had that mongrel Aussie swagger and did a lot of the mental disintegration stuff really well too. No doubt Australia's excellent slip catching of the era was also due to having a good keeper who soon judges where everyone should stand. He was good.

As a pure keeper Jack Russell was probably better, but he wasn't a matchwinner by taking dismissals off a great leggie, nor could he inspire a team (especially due to England selectors dropping him because of a failing top 6) or score vital runs.

Burgey

Yeah Healy's work in the 93 Ashes to Warne and May was next level. Backed it up in 97 as well. That leg side stumping he took off Bevan in the 97 Ashes was the stuff of legend.

As has been said, terrible commentator, but if you get a chance to watch any of the master classes on keeping which he did a few years back, it's brilliant.

Was by all reports also the hardest worker in that Aus side. Did hours and hours of extras after training.

OverratedSanity

Healy was the best keeper I've seen. Just so clean against pace, was athletic enough to pull off the diving catches and his work to Warne was amazing. I think my favourite bit of keeping is this one where a wicket didn't even fall:

Taking it is impressive enough but at first I didn't even notice he had flicked the bails off for the potential stumping.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Healy was the best keeper I've seen. Just so clean against pace, was athletic enough to pull off the diving catches and his work to Warne was amazing. I think my favourite bit of keeping is this one where a wicket didn't even fall:

Taking it is impressive enough but at first I didn't even notice he had flicked the bails off for the potential stumping.
He and Russell were the two best keepers I watched, think Jayawardene (off the top of my head) is a fair bit back in 3rd. But Healy was just brilliant behind the stumps.

He was however also a dick and a cheat, but yeah the best I've seen as well.

Edit... **** that take was sensational.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
I've heard that Warne himself preferred Healy to Gilly, not sure if that was a personality issue or not though tbh.

For me personally I usually go Gilchrist in my AT XI because he was very good / good enough vs Warne, but any other spinner and I would personally go with Knott.

But for most, is the batting on its own enough to guarantee Gill his spot?

Burgey

Great clip. And the best part of it is the score

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
For those of you who have seen both, who was the better keeper between Knott and Healy?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting start to the latest round. 3 voters and 9 different nominations. Now up to 17 from a dozen votes. Different criteria for different people.

Qlder

State Vice-Captain
Hoping for some late points for Marsh or Russell otherwise Sangakkara's going to get in (Sanga is in a battle for 8-9th with Engineer and Oldfield)

Last edited: