• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Debate thread for 2024 Ranking of Wicketkeepers Poll

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's early in the poll to be debating poll results but, in anticipation of Kumar Sangakarra getting a fair share of nominations, I would question his credentials to be ranked too highly. He played just 35.8% of his Tests as a 'keeper and in those Tests barely averaged above 40 - well below his impressive 57+ average. The fact that others were preferred as 'keeper in 86 of his Tests suggests his actual 'keeping skills weren't so highly regarded.

capt_Luffy

International Vice-Captain
It's early in the poll to be debating poll results but, in anticipation of Kumar Sangakarra getting a fair share of nominations, I would question his credentials to be ranked too highly. He played just 35.8% of his Tests as a 'keeper and in those Tests barely averaged above 40 - well below his impressive 57+ average. The fact that others were preferred as 'keeper in 86 of his Tests suggests his actual 'keeping skills weren't so highly regarded.
Sangakkara was pretty much an automatic choice as a batsman since the initial 48 matches. For that time, as far as I read, he was quite good with the gloves, keeping to Murali in SL. He was replaced as Jayawardene was a superior keeper (than most actually) and a useful batsman. Regarding his average, while keeping probably affected it, he also hit his peak late, as he did with ODIs where he never gave up on keeping.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Sangakkara was pretty much an automatic choice as a batsman since the initial 48 matches. For that time, as far as I read, he was quite good with the gloves, keeping to Murali in SL. He was replaced as Jayawardene was a superior keeper (than most actually) and a useful batsman. Regarding his average, while keeping probably affected it, he also hit his peak late, as he did with ODIs where he never gave up on keeping.
The poll is for Test Wicketkeepers and, as good as Sanga was, he surely only be judged on those 48 Tests. From that perspective, there are many proven 'keepers who must rate more highly.

capt_Luffy

The poll is for Test Wicketkeepers and, as good as Sanga was, he surely only be judged on those 48 Tests. From that perspective, there are many proven 'keepers who must rate more highly.
Even among keepers who played as long as Sangakkara in 48 matches, very few averages 40+; and none those so while batting at 3.

capt_Luffy

We are talking 'keeping ability as well as batting prowess. We need to have a balance.
From everything I have read and seen, Sangakkara was a very decent keeper and him keeping to Murali in SL wasn't an issue. And that balance is the reason I haven't votes for Andy Flower, yet.

Last edited:

capt_Luffy

Sangakkara should still be up there then. Nothing wrong with his keeping. Unlike Andy Flower. Anyone voting for Flower in the top 100 keepers should be infracted.
Dude, do you like hate Andy Flower, especially his wicket keeping for some reason?? You sound like he dropped your first born child on his head behind the stumps.

Last edited:

TheJediBrah

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Dude, do you like hate Andy Flower, especially his wicket keeping for some reason?? You sound like he dropped your first born child on his head behind the stumps.
He's an insult to the art of wicket keeping. Weird face too

Great batsman though, underrated if anything

CricAddict

Cricketer Of The Year
He's an insult to the art of wicket keeping. Weird face too

Great batsman though, underrated if anything
There is absolutely no proof for what you say. Say this about Kamran Akmal and I can show you 100s of youtube videos showing up his hilarious wicketkeeping. But Andy Flower was a safe keeper.

TheJediBrah

There is absolutely no proof for what you say. Say this about Kamran Akmal and I can show you 100s of youtube videos showing up his hilarious wicketkeeping. But Andy Flower was a safe keeper.
Bro you've been proven wrong on this like 7 times on this very forum by multiple posters, including references to Zimbabwe cricket forumers who all hated his keeping how are you still perpetuating this

TheJediBrah

Why are people voting for Healy? Was his keeping really that good to make up for average batting?

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
On my OP for the voting post I said 70/30 would be a good ratio to combine 'keeping/batting skills. Like Sanga, Healy was very good 'keeping to a class spinner.

capt_Luffy

I know it's going to be a hot take, but I think most older keepers are sufficiently overrated. Why? Let's see Healy for example. An exceptional keeper, not shoddy as a batsman but nothing special also. Will probably make the top 5 in the poll. Is he a better keeper than Jayawardene or Saha? Or a better bat than them? Really tough to say, he definitely has the edge for longevity, but given both of them will probably not make the list; I made this claim.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I know it's going to be a hot take, but I think most older keepers are sufficiently overrated. Why? Let's see Healy for example. An exceptional keeper, not shoddy as a batsman but nothing special also. Will probably make the top 5 in the poll. Is he a better keeper than Jayawardene or Saha? Or a better bat than them? Really tough to say, he definitely has the edge for longevity, but given both of them will probably not make the list; I made this claim.
When I saw "older keepers" I thought you might be talking about the inclusion of Ames or my votes for Evans and Oldfield. I, for one, don't put Healy in the "older" category. He had the benefit of playing in a strong side and keeping to Warne and McGrath but I still see him better (as a keeper) than many more recent glovemen. Certainly well above more contemporary countrymen such as Wade, Paine and Carey (though the latter has improved).

capt_Luffy

When I saw "older keepers" I thought you might be talking about the inclusion of Ames or my votes for Evans and Oldfield. I, for one, don't put Healy in the "older" category. He had the benefit of playing in a strong side and keeping to Warne and McGrath but I still see him better (as a keeper) than many more recent glovemen. Certainly well above more contemporary countrymen such as Wade, Paine and Carey (though the latter has improved).
I wasn't really comparing of that class, but the company above that, i.e., alongside the likes of truly elite modern keepers like Saha and Jayawardene.

Burgey

This is a bad take. Ian Healy was about as pure a glove man as there's been since the Allan Knott-Bob Taylor era. Genuinely a level above most anyone who's come along since with the gloves save Jack Russell. The bloke was genuinely outstanding.