• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

De Silva Vs Miandad

subshakerz

International Coach
Miandad in ODIS was better than his SR suggests. He was literally the backbone behind many Pakistan innings and was much more consistent than DeSilva.

ma1978

International 12th Man
Before I looked at the numbers, I would have said De Silva in a canter but that’s bias because I saw him in his prime and Miandad past his prime, the 1996 World Cup being the apogee of my youthful cricket fandom (apogee of many other things too it seems)

The numbers don’t lie here though - De Silva is gun, Miandad more gun

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Before I looked at the numbers, I would have said De Silva in a canter but that’s bias because I saw him in his prime and Miandad past his prime, the 1996 World Cup being the apogee of my youthful cricket fandom (apogee of many other things too it seems)

The numbers don’t lie here though - De Silva is gun, Miandad more gun
Yeah I too have sharpest cricketing memories from about the same time. He was exceptional in 96 and 97 (see year by year record). One can stretch it by two more years and consider his peak from 1994 to 1997 when he averaged 44.xx with SR of 86.xx. That's Tendulkar level of output who himself was going through one of his purple phases.

Screenshot_20240425-135417.png

subshakerz

International Coach
Yeah I too have sharpest cricketing memories from about the same time. He was exceptional in 96 and 97 (see year by year record). One can stretch it by two more years and consider his peak from 1994 to 1997 when he averaged 44.xx with SR of 86.xx. That's Tendulkar level of output who himself was going through one of his purple phases.

View attachment 40069
Nice. But using this peak metric, Miandad averaged 51 at a better than career SR between 1982 to 1988 in 115 games, including do quite well against WI and Aus.

smash84

The Tiger King
I did see both of them bat a fair bit, and while there were very few like De Silva when he was on song, he wasn't on song often in his career

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
As someone who appreciates bowling more than batting, I've gone for Aravinda as he is one of only a handful of batsmen whose batting craft has made me stop and watch that rather than the bowler trying to outfox him. Better output and skillful though Miandad be, Aravinda was adroitness and lissomness of batsmanship personified; a cadenced grace in batting form. If you were batting at the other end, you'd go for the single just to have the chance to watch his harmony of movement in action.

Migara

Cricketer Of The Year
Miandad was much more consistent.
Aravinda was simply destructive. One of the very few batsmen actually Miandad's team feared.