• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Opening Batsmen (Tests)

Teja.

Global Moderator
Victor Trumper

Not just because I want him to be next in line, but because in the list of top 50 batsmen he actually was next in line, and I appear to be the only person who doesn't want to render that list pointless barely a week after it was finished.
Yeah, I was going to vote for Trumper but i) I looked up that he averaged lower as an opener and ii) his career overlapped with Hobbs for half a decade and Trumper's average as opener/player stayed roughly the same as his career average as an opener/player during that period but Hobbs averaged about 20 runs more as an opener over a decent sample of 25ish tests in the overlapping period.

This was true even if I only accounted for Ashes tests played by Hobbs.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
I would put Gooch ahead of many on that totally stats driven list. He opened in over a hundred (or a hundred(ish)) Tests and though his average was in the lower 40's he played for a long time and in some very tough series.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Ok, I'll push back on this a bit. Trumper is a different case to the others in this list. He averaged 39 overall but only 32 as an opener (averaged 49 batting 3 or lower). So there's actually a good argument to be made that he should be lower on a list of openers than on a list of batsmen.
Ashley mallett chose trumper in his test team of the century as a middle order batsman rather than a opener.

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah, I was going to vote for Trumper but i) I looked up that he averaged lower as an opener and ii) his career overlapped with Hobbs for half a decade and Trumper's average as opener/player stayed roughly the same as his career average as an opener/player during that period but Hobbs averaged about 20 runs more as an opener over a decent sample of 25ish tests in the overlapping period.

This was true even if I only accounted for Ashes tests played by Hobbs.
Yeah, no question Hobbs was greater, nor that Trumper was statistically more successful in the middle order.

Leaving aside Trumper specifically though, I just wanted to try to maintain the integrity of a list that we completed and published a matter of eight days ago.

I appear to be in a minority with this, though that won't stop it annoying me!

gftw

U19 12th Man
Smith - 5
Grace - 1
Greenidge - 3
Trumper - 3
Simpson - 1
Hayden - 1

The List
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Herbert Sutcliffe
5. Geoffrey Boycott
6. Graeme Smith

The vote for the #7 test opener of all-time begins now.

_00_deathscar

International Regular
I think it's not a bad idea to run the list again for openers only.

The top 30/50 whatever batsman list was for batsman. While rare, someone could have done a good job of being a very good bat in middle/lower order and being a good opener and made it high up in the list, without actually being a GOAT/ATG level (or top 5 or whatever) level opener.

Separately, because the criteria for that one was so wide, the voting was a lot more spread out - here it's focused on openers only.

Hence, worth running again.