• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Opening Batsmen (Tests)

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I think I would scrap this thread and start again at Number 12. A few new names might generate more interest and discussion rather than shuffling the same eleven into a potentially slightly different order.
Strong agreement from me. As it stands, what are we trying to achieve? Either this will confirm the ranked order of the top eleven openers from the top 50 batsmen list, in which case we are just wasting time here and should start at number 12, or we will end up with a different ranked order of openers than we did a few days ago, in which case our list of top 50 batsmen is immediately out of date. What's the point?

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I always find it fascinating how blokes who were contemporaries/nearly so and had fairly similar levels of output rank compared to each other in these lists. One always gets shafted. Southee compared to Anderson in the bowling list, for example.

Gob

International Coach
I always find it fascinating how blokes who were contemporaries/nearly so and had fairly similar levels of output rank compared to each other in these lists. One always gets shafted. Southee compared to Anderson in the bowling list, for example.
Well Jimmy A is/was much better than Timothy

gftw

U19 12th Man
Boycott - 9
Smith - 2
Greenidge - 3
Lawry - 1
Hayden - 1

The List
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton
3. Sunil Gavaskar
4. Herbert Sutcliffe
5. Geoffrey Boycott

The vote for the #6 test opener of all-time begins now.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Smith.

WG's Test record would get him a five year contract in the current England set up, but I don't think he should be in this list.