• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Opening Batsmen (Tests)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It will be very interesting to see if there is much deviation in the list of openers as extracted from the poll on all batsmen. That order established the first 11 openers as:

Hobbs
Hutton
Gavaskar
Sutcliffe
Boycott
Trumper
Simpson
Smith
Sehwag
Hayden
Greenidge

ataraxia

International Coach
So...if this exercise comes up with a different ranked order of openers than the list we have just finished, which one is definitive? Does this list render the other one out-of-date, even though it has literally been CW canon for a matter of days?
I think this one will get a much better result, simply because there are less candidates for each of the top eleven spot and controversial (as to their quality) players won't have as much of an advantage.

That said, it's a pretty bad, if interesting, general ranking method this.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The recently completed list for batsmen saw voting open for 3 or 4 days. I wouldn't use the term "definitive" for either list though rushing this voting does render it questionable (see TheJediBrah's comment).
I would have preferred to see the voting as an extension (and enrichment) of the 11 openers on the recent list.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
I think this is worthwhile. Openers are often very different from middle order bats and can go unappreciated. There were very few no 6s in the top 50 batting (admittedly some 5/6s), but almost all of the positions were 1-5 in the batting order. If there was a more even distribution there would thus be 20 openers in the top 50 batters, but instead there are only 11.

jayjay

U19 Cricketer
I'd have gone Gavaskar first, Greenidge second...tbh the voting either needs to stay open longer and attract a wider group of members (I don't think there are many on this site anyway) or it's redundant as there is already a batsmen list.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I'd have gone Gavaskar first, Greenidge second...tbh the voting either needs to stay open longer and attract a wider group of members (I don't think there are many on this site anyway) or it's redundant as there is already a batsmen list.
I may not agree with your 1 and 2 but I respect your opinion and agree with your sentiment re redundancy.