• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of Opening Batsmen (Tests)

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Also is Grace being considered? He was obviously better than some of the 11.
Better than who and by what criteria? Reputation and being a big fish in a small pond? I'll accept he set a high standard over a century ago but it's impossible to draw valid comparisons.

Nikhil99.99

U19 Cricketer
Hobbs
Hutton
B.Richards
Barry imho was the best but unlucky for playing just 4 test
Hutton has the most complete record
Hobbs was the most complete batsman and the greatest

Pap Finn Keighl

International Debutant
Better than who and by what criteria? Reputation and being a big fish in a small pond? I'll accept he set a high standard over a century ago but it's impossible to draw valid comparisons.
Only Cricketer, arguably better than Bradman and Sobers. ( that too without considering his Bowling )

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Barry Richards is second only to Viv in batsman I’ve seen, but as long as “Test” are part of the equation neither he nor Grace are candidates for this.

gftw

U19 12th Man
My bad. Was going to go through the first 4 rounds really quickly to not waste any time since the order shouldn't be any different from the list the other batsmen list we created, but I'll give each round the normal amount of time to confirm. I can also skip right to #12 and use the base that we already have if most people would like that, but I am curious to see if the order remains the same and to see if Barry and Grace are voted for earlier on and where they rank.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Why is it funny to rate the finest opener of the last ~70 years (by a considerable margin) over the many similarly placed middle order batsmen who are all bunched together in the ATG pantheon?
I judge on facts, which include statistics. Gavaskar, as good as he was, averaged a tad over 51 while there is a raft of players (including 3 openers) averaging over 55. Outside of India, where he understandably played most of his Tests, he played more Tests in England where his average was quite modest (41) with just 2 centuries from 28 innings.
Sunil was definitely an ATG player, but to rank him above all, other than Bradman, is drawing a long bow.

gftw

U19 12th Man
Sutcliffe - 1
Hutton - 10
Chopra - 1
Gavaskar - 2
Khawaja - 1

The List
1. Jack Hobbs
2. Len Hutton

The vote for the #3 test opener of all-time begins now.