• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of All-Rounders (Tests)

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Ray Lindwall, Richie Benaud and Ravi Ashwin are as much of all rounders as Pollock, Hadlee and Kallis.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
Steve Waugh was a better all rounder than some of these imposters during the first half of his career.

Just keep on going until Derek Pringle gets a vote.

Bolo.

International Vice-Captain
Ray Lindwall, Richie Benaud and Ravi Ashwin are as much of all rounders as Pollock, Hadlee and Kallis.
Kallis was ranked the number 1 AR for something like a hundred matches. That's about twice as many matches as anyone else has managed on top in any discipline.

Lindwall averaged 21.

I'm sure your comment is intentionally wrong, but I'm not sure you realise how wrong it is.

trundler

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kallis was ranked the number 1 AR for something like a hundred matches. That's about twice as many matches as anyone else has managed on top in any discipline.

Lindwall averaged 21.

I'm sure your comment is intentionally wrong, but I'm not sure you realise how wrong it is.
I'm taking about role rather than ability. I threw Kallis in there to troll but Hadlee and Pollock were both #8s who were frontline bowlers, just like Ashwin and Benaud. Kallis way too high tho.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
The interest in going beyond 20 and on to 30 is obviously there, judging by the comments and the number of votes lodged for the 21st spot.
The vote count:
Armstrong 2
AG Steel 1
Barlow 4
McMillan 1
Benaud 1
Holder 1
Ashwin 2
Hammond 1

I declare Eddie Barlow the 21st player on the list.

The List
1. Garry Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Keith Miller
5. Ian Botham
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Kapil Dev
8. Aubrey Faulkner
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Shaun Pollock
11. Ravindra Jadeja
12. Ben Stokes
13. Monty Noble
14. Tony Greig
15. Trevor Goddard
16. Chris Cairns
17. Vinoo Mankad
18. Mushtaq Mohammad
19. Andrew Flintoff
20. Jack Gregory
21. Eddie Barlow

Voting is now open for the 22nd spot on the list of Test All-Rounders.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Without being too critical, Barlow's WPM (1.33) is quite modest. It would appear that any figure above 1 WPM might qualify.

I'll stick with Armstrong - after all, he only missed out on 20th spot only by virtue of an inferior (1.71) WPM figure.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
Without being too critical, Barlow's WPM (1.33) is quite modest. It would appear that any figure above 1 WPM might qualify.

I'll stick with Armstrong - after all, he only missed out on 20th spot only by virtue of an inferior (1.71) WPM figure.
Unfortunately for Barlow 5 tests he played were scrapped from the record books. The 1970 Rest of the World series v England were originally designated as tests but later were made unofficial. In that series he took 12 wickets in one "test" (7 wicket bag and 5 wicket bag) and in another he took a 5 wicket bag. He also scored 2 100s in that series. Had those matches been included his WPM and bowling av would clearly be better.

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
John R Reid (considered the equal of C Cairns when picking ATG NZ teams). If he'd played for a decent team (rather than the equivalent of Bangladesh c. 2002) his stats would be better.

Lillian Thomson

Hall of Fame Member
If anyone with more than one wicket per match qualifies I'm going for Basil D'Oliveria. Averaged 40 with the bat and was a very economical partnership breaker with the ball.