• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW's Ranking of All-Rounders (Tests)

Fuller Pilch

Hall of Fame Member
This is a great discussion. I disagree with quite a few of the rankings but great to see rationale.

This is what the list would look like if voted for by me and then I will add in my vote for the CW list.

Here goes:

1. Garry Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Ian Botham
5. Richard Hadlee
6. Kapil Dev
7. Keith Miller
8. Shaun Pollock
9. Wasim Akram
10. Andrew Flintoff
11. Aubrey Faulkner
12. Ben Stokes
13. Monty Noble
14. Tony Greig
15. Shakid Al Hasan
16. Chris Cairns
17. Trevor Goddard
18. Ravindra Jadeja

Considering Flintoff is not on the list yet (Remarkable that Cairns and Goaddard can make it on though), so my vote for 19 is Mr Flintoff.
How is it remarkable when Cairns and Goddard were clearly better than Flintoff? He was an excellent ODI player, however.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's been over a week since #18 was announced. Has this thread stalled due to the lack of truly ATG or even ATVG all-rounders?
Perhaps we should stop at 20.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It appears that @gftw may have abandoned this thread (no update in 11 days) so I'm taking the liberty to declare the voting for #19:
Ashwin 1
Barlow 1
Gregory 3
Armstrong 1
Flintoff 5
G.Chappell 1
Rhodes 1
Vettori 1
Mayers 1

Which gives us an updated list of:

The List
1. Garry Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Keith Miller
5. Ian Botham
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Kapil Dev
8. Aubrey Faulkner
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Shaun Pollock
11. Ravindra Jadeja
12. Ben Stokes
13. Monty Noble
14. Tony Greig
15. Trevor Goddard
16. Chris Cairns
17. Vinoo Mankad
18. Mushtaq Mohammad
19. Andrew Flintoff

I now declare the voting open for the 20th (and final) position on the list.

Last edited:

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
It's been 48 hours since any votes have been cast so we can declare the 20th (and final) position of our All-Rounder list. The voting was:
Ashwin 1
Armstrong 3
Gregory 3
Hammond 2
Barlow 1
White 1

To break the tie, I decided to look at stats. Armstrong had a batting average of 38.68 and a bowling average of 33.59 while Gregory's figures were 36.96 and 31.15 (a slight edge to one and then the other) so I then looked at WPM and Armstrong's 1.74 was well below Gregory's 3.15 making the latter the choice for the final slot.

The List
1. Garry Sobers
2. Imran Khan
3. Jacques Kallis
4. Keith Miller
5. Ian Botham
6. Shakib Al Hasan
7. Kapil Dev
8. Aubrey Faulkner
9. Richard Hadlee
10. Shaun Pollock
11. Ravindra Jadeja