• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Test Rankings - Updated Jan 2012

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
I think the Official ICC rankings reflect the current standings in terms of teams correctly than this one.

I mean to have SL so low down is unfortunately not reflecting the reality as does having England at No.2.

IMO the current standings are

Australia
India
SL / SA
Pakistan
England / NZ- ro be determibed by the upcoming series
West Indies
Bang
Zim

Matt79

Global Moderator
India are definitely number 2 if you take their recent series performances plus their efforts in Sydney and Perth.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
http://content-nz.cricinfo.com/ci-icc/content/current/page/211271.html

Official Team Rankings

LG ICC Test and ODI Championships

12 Jan 2008

Team Matches Points Rating
Australia 28 4005 143
Sri Lanka 32 3490 109
India 33 3591 109
South Africa 37 3991 108
England 40 4299 107
Pakistan 33 3107 94
New Zealand 18 1646 91
West Indies 28 2053 73
Bangladesh 18 65 4

LG ICC ODI Championship

31 Dec 2007

Team Matches Points Rating
Australia 35 4565 130
South Africa 35 4325 124
New Zealand 33 3683 112
India 48 5256 110
Sri Lanka 37 4014 108
Pakistan 28 3005 107
England 35 3736 107
West Indies 32 3192 100
Bangladesh 29 1350 47
Ireland 8 227 28
Zimbabwe 26 508 20
Kenya 6 0 0

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I like the CW rankings a lot, but in this current climate you only have to watch cricket to realise that India are the 2nd best team in the world.

It doesn't mean THAT much, since the gap between them and Australia is still gigantic, but its still clear that they're #2.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I would agree, but India have a habit of playing down to the opposition - those lossses such as the 3-0 wipeout in new zealand, only 1-0 in four Tests in Windies, etc hurt.

Other teams lose to Australia in a bigger fashion, but they also go 3-0 against West Indies (for example). Performances like that drag India down.

JASON

Cricketer Of The Year
Rankings after WI-SA series:
  1. Australia 1564.25
  2. England 1011.99
  3. India 1005.99
  4. South Africa 916.28
  5. Pakistan 842.16
  6. New Zealand 783.28
  7. Sri Lanka 780.23
  8. West Indies 466.06
  9. Bangladesh 81.43

Also, in two weeks, India are going to drop.....HARD.
In my opinion CW rankings take 3-5 years for a team to move rank the way its been worked...

This IMO fails to take into account there is very little between Teans 2-8 and movement between these teams in rank can happen over 1 year and over 2-3 series..

Whereas ICC Test rankings are very senstive to teams current performances over 1 year or over 2-3 series and as a result change over a year or over 2-3 series with teams 2 thru to 8 moving rank based on their current performances...

not on what they did 4 years ago ...nor can they cling to No.2 rank with repeated poor performances just because they had a good ranking 4 years ago...

In that way , ICC rankings reflect current position more accurately and reliably because it takes into account this flux between teams 2-8...

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I would agree, but India have a habit of playing down to the opposition - those lossses such as the 3-0 wipeout in new zealand, only 1-0 in four Tests in Windies, etc hurt.

Other teams lose to Australia in a bigger fashion, but they also go 3-0 against West Indies (for example). Performances like that drag India down.
Few things:

Who cares, its about winning the series, whether its 1-0 or 3-0.

If you can't peform against the best (see NZ, Pakistan, SL and South Africa (and recent England) test performances vs. Aus) then winning 3-0 vs. WI means crap all.

And most importantly, South Africa just lost a home test vs. WI.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
If you can't peform against the best (see NZ, Pakistan, SL and South Africa (and recent England) test performances vs. Aus) then winning 3-0 vs. WI means crap all.
But the fact India do perform against the best is the reason they are so high. Otherwise, they are mediocre almost everywhere else.

And most importantly, South Africa just lost a home test vs. WI.
Yup, I'll have the new rankings out monday.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Who cares, its about winning the series, whether its 1-0 or 3-0.
The point of the rankings is to figure out the strength of the sides relative to each other. If you count the 2005 Ashes the same way as 2007 Ashes, you can't accurately judge the two sides in both competitions. In one series, a team won, but the other team competed well and the sides were close, whereas in the other series, it was a blowout. You have to be able to track the difference, otherwise you can never have a ranking system.
  1. Australia 1576.34
  2. England 1010.96
  3. India 981.43
  4. South Africa 914.74
  5. Pakistan 840.10
  6. New Zealand 780.20
  7. Sri Lanka 778.17
  8. West Indies 464.90
  9. Bangladesh 80.66

India didn't fall as I thought they would. With a whole year of home Tests coming up, they may very well be the clear #2 side by the end of next year.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
What are these rankings based on?
England are clearly not the 2nd best test team in the world.It should be between India and south africa.

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
South Africa will go top of the ICC's world rankings this week and be Officially "Best Test Nation in the World" despite having lost by an innings and 384 runs, at home to Australia last winter!
oh my god south africa being rated the best side in the world at test cricket......waht a joke.. they havnt beaten australia at home or in australia in a series since there return from banishment...... australia have beaten south africa in our last 5 test matches... and not even a close contest.... its called a white wash, australia just coming off a 16 game winning streak....this has to be a joke... your just winding me up.....there is no way south africa can possibly be no 1......who have they beaten???? what there african neighbours Zimbabwe a few times and england i spose.....if thats true the system is flaud, maybe a boxing type system has to take place with a world champion, and the rest of the world can contest the contender possition, to try and dethrone the champs. over a five test match series i think that would really get things hot in the test arena. unless you beat the best you cant claim to be the best....... india did well in the recent series but they didnt beat australia in the series. australia hasnt lost a series since the ashes fiasco of 2005, what a set up that was lol....! and i cant even remember in my life time before that. it would have been sometime during steve waugh's rein in india sometime in the mid to late 90's..... grab a brain ICC you cant say australia arnt the no1 side.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
oh my god south africa being rated the best side in the world at test cricket......waht a joke.. they havnt beaten australia at home or in australia in a series since there return from banishment...... australia have beaten south africa in our last 5 test matches... and not even a close contest.... its called a white wash, australia just coming off a 16 game winning streak....this has to be a joke... your just winding me up.....there is no way south africa can possibly be no 1......who have they beaten???? what there african neighbours Zimbabwe a few times and england i spose.....if thats true the system is flaud, maybe a boxing type system has to take place with a world champion, and the rest of the world can contest the contender possition, to try and dethrone the champs. over a five test match series i think that would really get things hot in the test arena. unless you beat the best you cant claim to be the best....... india did well in the recent series but they didnt beat australia in the series. australia hasnt lost a series since the ashes fiasco of 2005, what a set up that was lol....! and i cant even remember in my life time before that. it would have been sometime during steve waugh's rein in india sometime in the mid to late 90's..... grab a brain ICC you cant say australia arnt the no1 side.
That post you quoted is from 2003.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
:laugh::lol::laugh::lol::laugh::lol: :laugh::lol::laugh::lol:

kanga_kid

Cricket Spectator
lol better late than never...!

i know i just realised it was posted like 5 years ago lol....im not so furious now!....!

biased indian

International Coach
The point of the rankings is to figure out the strength of the sides relative to each other. If you count the 2005 Ashes the same way as 2007 Ashes, you can't accurately judge the two sides in both competitions. In one series, a team won, but the other team competed well and the sides were close, whereas in the other series, it was a blowout. You have to be able to track the difference, otherwise you can never have a ranking system.
  1. Australia 1576.34
  2. England 1010.96
  3. India 981.43
  4. South Africa 914.74
  5. Pakistan 840.10
  6. New Zealand 780.20
  7. Sri Lanka 778.17
  8. West Indies 464.90
  9. Bangladesh 80.66

India didn't fall as I thought they would. With a whole year of home Tests coming up, they may very well be the clear #2 side by the end of next year.
Does this ranking take into account the points the team currently have ??????

if such a highly ranked team .... 50% better is held to 2-1 and still it gains point and the other team loose point there is some thing wrong with the methodology..

agree india had drawn the last series in australia..but what was the point difference between them during that time was it more than 500...but u cannot give such a high importance to last series and that to which was played 4 years ago.. ???