• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Test Rankings - Updated Jan 2012

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Well, so far it didn't go as predicted with India winning in England when I expected them to lose.

I still expect them to go down after the Aussie series (they were 1-1 last time, don't see matching this time).

Overall Table
  1. Australia (1547)
  2. England (1017)
  3. India (981.4)
  4. Pak (913.36)
  5. RSA (861.11)
  6. NZ (837)
  7. SRL (819.67)
  8. WIN (418.23)
  9. Ban (81)

With the exception of Australia and Windies (and Ban), everyone is pretty close. India move up in points but England still have a comfortable lead in points. With the win in England (2nd best team in the world) and a draw in Australia (the best team in the world), as well as a win in WI and an improvement of their record in SA (they actually won one), India are now the second best away team in the world. No other team matches that.

A big reason was that England just got annihilated by the best team in the world, while India drew with them the last time. Obviously, things could (and IMO will be) different after the Ind-Aus series later this year, but for now they are comfortably the second best away team. Oddly enough, outside the top three teams (Aus way ahead, then India then England), every other team sucks big time away from home.
Are you in charge of these now ss?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I suppose, until Neil tells me I'm not or if he decides to start doing these again. This is all Neil's work by the way, I'm just the 'plug in the numbers' monkey.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I know, I've been around a while, remember? :p I can't see Neil ever reclaiming number-crunching rights TBH, he's going to be too busy from now on, so the answer is yes, you're now in charge of them.

CW Ratings: formula devised by Neil Pickup, product maintainence and running costs by Manan Shah.

pup11

International Coach
I think India is the second best test team in world cricket atm, and though India's Odi form has been awful for sometime now, but there form in test matches has been pretty good especially (and suprisingly) in away games.
If Indian bowlers can maintain the same form that they showed against England this summer then they might just give the Aussies a run for their money.

R_D

International Debutant
I think India is the second best test team in world cricket atm, and though India's Odi form has been awful for sometime now, but there form in test matches has been pretty good especially (and suprisingly) in away games.
If Indian bowlers can maintain the same form that they showed against England this summer then they might just give the Aussies a run for their money.
India's batting still too unpredictable and could say the same about bowling. Its too reliant on right conditions. Zaheer and Kumble are the only consistent performers.
Pitches are flat as they get in Aus and i'm sure bowling is going to struggle.

Hope they prove me wrong again thou.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Even if India go and do 2-2 in Australia, they won't improve their rating. In fact, anything less than 1-1, 0-0, 2-2 result will see them drop severely in the rankings as that will represent a worse performance than previous series.

For India to beat out England for the #2 spot, they will have to beat Pakistan 2-0, or 3-0. But even if that happens, the lead will be very very small, and anything less than a drawn series in Australia will restore England to the #2 spot. England, if they draw the series in SL, or do better than that, can put India out of reach of the #2 spot. The only way that India can jump ahead of England in that case is by beating Australia in Australia.

If you guys want other scenarios, let me know :).

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Sri Lanka lower than what I thought they would be.
Indeed, thought they'd be above New Zealand for sure.
You are both actually right. I forgot that SL played NZ in and tied the series. Here are the updated rankings:

1. Australia 1548.30
  2. England 1012.73
  3. India 981.91
  4. Pakistan 915.54
  5. South Africa 862.27
  6. Sri Lanka 821.21
  7. New Zealand 807.56
  8. West Indies 438.85
  9. Zimbabwe 210.08
  10. Bangladesh 81.43

Sorry about that. I went and made sure there aren't any other errors.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
South Africa leapfrogs Pakistan with today's series win in Pakistan:
  1. Australia 1546
  2. England 1016
  3. India 988
  4. South Africa 918
  5. Pakistan 868
  6. Sri Lanka 827
  7. New Zealand 807
  8. West Indies 439
  9. Zimbabwe 203
  10. Bangladesh 81

The rest are minor rating adjustments as winning in Pakistan is worth slightly less and winning in SA is worth slightly more.

Last edited:

bugssy

Cricketer Of The Year
im suprised the gap is as big as it is....not much in between 2nd and 5th. and i though n/z would be higher than that!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
im suprised the gap is as big as it is....not much in between 2nd and 5th. and i though n/z would be higher than that!
Their away rating is about the same as Sri Lanka's but their home rating is worse. Sri Lanka really benefited from the tie in England.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
South Africa leapfrogs Pakistan with today's series win in Pakistan:
  1. Australia 1546
  2. England 1016
  3. India 988
  4. South Africa 918
  5. Pakistan 868
  6. Sri Lanka 827
  7. New Zealand 807
  8. West Indies 439
  9. Zimbabwe 203
  10. Bangladesh 81

The rest are minor rating adjustments as winning in Pakistan is worth slightly less and winning in SA is worth slightly more.
This SL series will be big for England if they want to keep their #2 spot, as well as the India/Pakistan series for India if they want to be #2.

However, even if India get to #2, the Aus/India series looms large and anything other than a massive performance by the Indians (e.g. a drawn series down under) will return England in the #2 spot.