• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Test Rankings - Updated Jan 2012

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Everyone else's are just miniature adjustments - these all happening because winning at home to Sri Lanka is now worth slightly more than it was before.

biased indian

International Coach
Neil Pickup said:
Everyone else's are just miniature adjustments - these all happening because winning at home to Sri Lanka is now worth slightly more than it was before.
but they all played weeker SL side rite,,,,why should they gain for what SL have achived since that series ????

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
biased indian said:
but they all played weeker SL side rite,,,,why should they gain for what SL have achived since that series ????
Because Sri Lanka aren't as weak as everyone thought?

Besides, it's so small it really doesn't matter much.

NA

Cricket Spectator
I don't know what life would be like without the CricketWeb rankings, thank Freddie they're back!!

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
I gave it a try based on Neil's formula on page three (took way too long):

Home Table
  1. Australia (1756)
  2. SA (1349)
  3. India (1270)
  4. Eng (1261)
  5. Pak (1213)
  6. SL (1204)
  7. NZ (980)
  8. WI (781)
  9. Zim (111)
  10. Ban (27)

Away Table
  1. Australia (1304)
  2. Pakistan (806)
  3. India (711) **
  4. Eng (659) *
  5. SA (645)
  6. SL (634)
  7. NZ (549)
  8. WI (195)
  9. Zim (184)
  10. Ban (58)

* If the Ashes had been 3-1 in favor of Australia, England would have been #3 on the away table, and at #2 or #3 place overall. At 2-1, they would have been the clear #2 team. 5-0 just killed them.

** Only due to 1-1 in Australia compared to 5-0 for England. England clearly superior almost everywhere else, but if England had gone 1-1 or 2-2, England would just dominate the away charts and be way ahead of everyone bar Australia. The 1-1 vs. SL and 2-0 in Pakistan didn't help either.

Also, please note that I did not give the overall table as I do not know how much Neil weighs away vs. home. I can provide that once I get more data.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Thank you Neil for the spreadsheet:

These are the overall rankings:

1. Australia 1543 (+30)
  2. England 1028 (-2)
  3. India 953 (+44)
  4. South Africa 891 (-62)
  5. Pakistan 856 (-74)
  6. Sri Lanka 814 (+57)
  7. New Zealand 800 (-14)
  8. WI 410 (-49)
  9. Zim 207 (-7)
  10. Bang (-3)

Big Winners:

Australia: Unstoppable. Their 5-0 win over England means Australia have a totally ridiculous rating at home. Which means, winning in Australia is worth a LOT of points...and that leads to

India: Improved their previous record in SA, improved their record in WI, and got free points for the series draw in Aus because winning there is now worth even more than it was before.

SL: Win in England and NZ, huge ones that the rating system did not expect.

Big Losers:

South Africa: Big losses to Australia didn't hurt that much, but the losses away from home hurt. Still strong at home though, and a win over Pak should bring them back.

Pakistan: Win over Eng helped but then they gave it away and more with 3-0 in England.

I am going to speak to Neil to make sure I didn't make any mistakes though, so until he approves it this is still 'tentative'.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Checked with Neil, and these in fact look accurate.

Basically this proves that:

1. Australia
  2. Rest of the ****e that can barely win overseas

The India in England and India in Australia are huge series that (IMO) will bring India back down a reasonable #5 or so overall.

Last edited:

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
New Rankings after the Pakistan/SA series:

1. Australia 1543
  2. England 1031
  3. India 955
  4. Pakistan 909
  5. South Africa 858
  6. Sri Lanka 816
  7. New Zealand 800
  8. WI 412
  9. Zim 207
  10. Bang 53

Why did SA go down despite winning? The same reason they went down last series: previously they had blown out India and Pakistan at home. Now both of them won a test in SA, and SA actually worsened their record against both.

India is very high due to 1-1 in Aus (no one else comes close) and 1-1 in England. They will likely drop after they tour England and Australia next year.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well, so far it didn't go as predicted with India winning in England when I expected them to lose.

I still expect them to go down after the Aussie series (they were 1-1 last time, don't see matching this time).

Overall Table
  1. Australia (1547)
  2. England (1017)
  3. India (981.4)
  4. Pak (913.36)
  5. RSA (861.11)
  6. NZ (837)
  7. SRL (819.67)
  8. WIN (418.23)
  9. Ban (81)

With the exception of Australia and Windies (and Ban), everyone is pretty close. India move up in points but England still have a comfortable lead in points. With the win in England (2nd best team in the world) and a draw in Australia (the best team in the world), as well as a win in WI and an improvement of their record in SA (they actually won one), India are now the second best away team in the world. No other team matches that.

A big reason was that England just got annihilated by the best team in the world, while India drew with them the last time. Obviously, things could (and IMO will be) different after the Ind-Aus series later this year, but for now they are comfortably the second best away team. Oddly enough, outside the top three teams (Aus way ahead, then India then England), every other team sucks big time away from home.

Last edited:

Magrat Garlick

Global Moderator
With the exception of Australia and Windies (and Ban), everyone is pretty close. India move up in points but England still have a comfortable lead in points. With the win in England (2nd best team in the world) and a draw in Australia (the best team in the world), as well as a win in WI and an improvement of their record in SA (they actually won one), India are now the second best away team in the world. No other team matches that.
Thus making the current team the best tourists from India since the early 70s?