• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW Ranks the Bowlers

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Just before Steve waugh's 2000-2001 Aussie side was landing for their "Last Frontier" series, I recieved a mail from my friend Jeremy Patton from Australia/ He told me how his children (they all play cricket boys and girls) felt Indian famed batting line up (Tendulkar, Dravid, Ganguly and Laxman) would stand no chance before the attack of Fleming, Gillespie, Kasprowicz and above all McGrath and Shane Warne. He asked me what I thought.

I remember writing a long e-mail back for him to share with his children why I felt India might just surprise Australia and why Warne may not do to India what he had been doing to others around the world but most of all I wrote about why I felt McGrath though so accurate and consistent in his line and length that he could be handled by batsmen as long as they remembered where their off stump was, played back to him (unless he bowled a half volley) and left him alone as often as they could since he kept bowling a very similar line (and length) and relied on batsmen playing forward and erring in judgement when his lateral movement (never excessive) would ensnare them.

Of course what happened is history and it was, of course beyond my wildest dreams that India would come back as they did in Calcutta but Jeremy wrote to me a long letter about what his children said when they read my mail and what they were saying now that it had come true. It was very gratifying.

I recall this since on this thread, I once almost got into a debate on why McGrath is not such an all time great as the modern cricket fan makes him out to be. I think I realised in the nick of time that it was a futile debate since I was completely isolated.

I recalled this yesterday when I was reading gary Sobers last book Gary Sobers : My Autobiography (also his best) and was very interested to read what he had to say about McGrath. Sobers' book was published in 2002 so he probably penned these words about McGrath about six months to a year after that India Australia series. Interestingly, he does not rate Warne as the greatest spinner or even the greatest leg-spinner. Here have a read. Its interesting because my views on that are well known here.

Warne, Gupte and that "Ball of the Century"

The current crop of Australian bowlers, Glenn McGrath, Shane Warne and Jason Gillespie, are rated the most potent in the world and as a unit they are very effective but individually I think I played against better.

Watching someone and playing against them are two different things, but to me Gupte was a better bowler than Shane Warne. One reason is that Gupte had far wider variety, and his disguised googly was far better than Warne. Warne is a big spinner of the ball and not many turn it that far although another Australian, Stuart MacGill seems to be able to. But turning the ball are not always the biggest criterion; length and line are just as important.

However I do believe that Warne has improved. When he played in Australia against the West Indies after the injury break, he looked a much better bowler because he had a much bigger mix. The fellows did not pick his googly as well as they used to. He does not spin it away from them as much as he did. I was impressed with what I saw; he certainly looked a lot better than when he was turning it too big. He took a lot of hammer from Brian Lara but he also had him in a lot of trouble.

Lara and India's Sachin Tendulkar seem to have the measure of him. It's the Englishmen who appear to have the most trouble with him. They are beaten before they face him because they are so concerned by his reputation. Thats an ongoing problem. If the English can't play a bowler, he instantly becomes the greatest, no matter how he does against other countries. Ever since Warne bowled Mike Gatting around his legs, the press and the players would have you believe that Warne is the best. Another Aussie, David Sincock bowled me with a chinaman just like that once but people don't go on about it forever. One ball doesn't make you a king and this dismissal was as much Gating's fault as it was Warne's ability. If a player bowls to you a ball outside the leg stump on a turning wicket, you should cover your stumps - thats basic. You can not be out leg before wicket. If Gatting had gone across instead of trying to play the shot or stand up, it would have been no problem. The same principle applies to me when I was bowled by Sincock. It was my fault. I was taken by surprise because he had never bowled like that before.

Gupte was always on the spot, bowled a googly and a good leg-break and had some of the best batsmen in the world confused. The Weekes, Worrells and Walcotts made runs against him but he also had them in trouble. Wickets in the West Indies were very good in those days and spinners found them very difficult but Gupte came to the Carribean and took 27 wickets in 1952 series. He didn't play a lot of test cricket but he took a lot of good wickets.He was so acurate, varied the flight and pushed it through, and he could bowl two different googlies. You had to watch him carefully to play him because of his variety.

Warne by contrast is a lot flatter. He bowls the flipper well and as I've said, his googly has improved. As far as I am concerned, great leg break bowlers don't bowl round the wicket, which he did a lot in his early days. The great leg-spinners always bowled over because they could push the ball across the batsman and make it come back. Its much easier to bowl the googly coming over the wicket than to bowl round because in the latter case your arm is too far out to be truly effective. Warne for many years bowled round the wicket into the rough.

I'm not saying that Warne is not the greatest bowler today although there are not many good leg spinners to chose from. He has a nice aggressive attitude and will tie up good batsmen, but I would like to see him bowl a lot more variety and to improve that googly still further.

Warne arrived at the end of another cricket cycle, at the end of an era of all out pace, at least for the successful teams. There is no doubt that he has helped resurrect the art of spin bowling around the world.
Sir Garfield Sobers in Garry Sobers : My Autobigraphy (2002) to be continued. . .​

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I remember reading Sobers' autobiography and being surprised by his assertion of Gupte over Warne - though his arguments aren't without merit. He did seem to get the Gatting dismissal mixed up with another famous delivery (Gooch, I think?) though, insofar as Gatting wasn't actually bowled around his legs as Sobers' describes it in that passage.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I remember reading Sobers' autobiography and being surprised by his assertion of Gupte over Warne - though his arguments aren't without merit. He did seem to get the Gatting dismissal mixed up with another famous delivery (Gooch, I think?) though, insofar as Gatting wasn't actually bowled around his legs as Sobers' describes it in that passage.
Thats right. It went across his body and not behind him.:)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Sobers on McGrath and his place amongst other fast bowlers
Among the modern day quick bowlers, Glenn McGrath is right there at the top. He can destroy you if you are a front foot player but if you can go back and across to him, he finds it difficult to bowl to you because his radar seems set on a certain length. Play a few shots to him and he can be knocked off his length, as well as making him annoyed. No bowler bowls well when he loses control of his temper because he stops thinking straight.

McGrath is not in the class of the great West indian fast bowlers. He is accurate, has good line and length and moves the ball nicely off the seam but he does not have the pace of Michael Holding, Andy Roberts and Wes Hall or the bounce of Joel Garner, Colin Croft, Curtley Ambrose and Courtney walsh. But he is still in his prime and only time will tell how good he is.

However, I don't agree with this talk of him as one of the greatest Australian fast bowlers of all time. I don't believe he is as good as dennis Lillee or as quick as another Aussie of the same era, Jeff Thomson. Thommo was excessively quick and we did not see enough of him internationally, which was a shame. According to Ian Chappell, in the West Indies we missed the best and quickest of him in Test cricket.

It's hard to rate the best ever fast bowlers because there have been so many good ones. As I have said, pace is not the only criterion, as shown by Holding, Ambrose, Trueman and Lillee, all of whom did far more than just run up and bowl as fast as they could. Alan Davidson was a very good bowler too, and another whom I would rate above McGrath. Graham McKenzie wasn't bad, In every era a new face turns up and you kind of forget those who have gone before and how good they were. Its too easy to apply the word great to someone for taking more wickets or scoring more runs than in the past. Those are not the criteria to use because they are playing so much more Test cricket nowadays.​

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Number 3 and I'll go once again for:
1 John Wisden, (I'll give up on him soon)
2 Curtly Ambrose.

Last edited:

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
This is getting brilliantly tight:

Ambrose - 13
McGrath - 12
Hadlee - 11
Lillee - 5
Warne - 4
Murali - 4
Wasim/Waqar/Grimmett/Wisden - 2 each
Lindwall/O'Reilly - 1 each

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Sobers on McGrath and his place amongst other fast bowlers
Among the modern day quick bowlers, Glenn McGrath is right there at the top. He can destroy you if you are a front foot player but if you can go back and across to him, he finds it difficult to bowl to you because his radar seems set on a certain length. Play a few shots to him and he can be knocked off his length, as well as making him annoyed. No bowler bowls well when he loses control of his temper because he stops thinking straight.

McGrath is not in the class of the great West indian fast bowlers. He is accurate, has good line and length and moves the ball nicely off the seam but he does not have the pace of Michael Holding, Andy Roberts and Wes Hall or the bounce of Joel Garner, Colin Croft, Curtley Ambrose and Courtney walsh. But he is still in his prime and only time will tell how good he is.

However, I don't agree with this talk of him as one of the greatest Australian fast bowlers of all time. I don't believe he is as good as dennis Lillee or as quick as another Aussie of the same era, Jeff Thomson. Thommo was excessively quick and we did not see enough of him internationally, which was a shame. According to Ian Chappell, in the West Indies we missed the best and quickest of him in Test cricket.

It's hard to rate the best ever fast bowlers because there have been so many good ones. As I have said, pace is not the only criterion, as shown by Holding, Ambrose, Trueman and Lillee, all of whom did far more than just run up and bowl as fast as they could. Alan Davidson was a very good bowler too, and another whom I would rate above McGrath. Graham McKenzie wasn't bad, In every era a new face turns up and you kind of forget those who have gone before and how good they were. Its too easy to apply the word great to someone for taking more wickets or scoring more runs than in the past. Those are not the criteria to use because they are playing so much more Test cricket nowadays.​
I very much would have to disagree with this assessment of McGrath, though it was made half way through his career.

McGrath ended up being probably the most penetrative bowler in world cricket and dominated batsmen in an era of flat pitches and incredibly powerful bats. The 2000s have seen some of the best batsmen in history and is the time when we've had more batsmen average over 50 than any other era. Yet McGrath as a bowler overcame both of these hinderances and ended up with a record that the best bowlers would be envious of.

Warne was the first spin bowler to take a decent number of wickets and average under 26 since pitches were covered. His googly was never his strength, it was always his natural variation and his cricketing brain. In his youth his flipper was so venemous that it made the best batsmen look like fools. After his injury issues and recovery period from 1998-2001 he lost some of this natural talent but was still one of the best spinners history has ever seen. He redefined how a legspinner could bowl. Before Warne a 4 ball every over was par for a spinner. Even putting aside whether he was better than Murali or not, Warne was certainly better than anyone in the three decades before his arrival.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
I very much would have to disagree with this assessment of McGrath, though it was made half way through his career.
I do not think myself good enough to disagree with the views of someone like Sir Garfield. So I shall keep my peace :)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Eh, everyone who puts Warne in an all time XI, or Malcolm Marshall, or Glenn McGrath is disagreeing with the views of Donald Bradman. Cricketers make the stupidest statements sometimes, even the great ones. Have a look at the ranking of Warne's top fifty cricketers.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Eh, everyone who puts Warne in an all time XI, or Malcolm Marshall, or Glenn McGrath is disagreeing with the views of Donald Bradman. Cricketers make the stupidest statements sometimes, even the great ones. Have a look at the ranking of Warne's top fifty cricketers.
As usual you read in a post what you want. But I am not surprised.

If Sobers says he thinks Warne is not the greatest, I may agree with him or I may not. The fact that in this case I think the same is not because he is sobers. I have just read this book and my views on warne are known even here for years.

Coming back. Of course just because sobers says so it doesn't become gospel. It is just his opinion. Another cricketing great may disagree with him. And that would be his opinion. There is no way everyone (even five of the greatest cricketers of all time, will agree on these things all the time. That does not make their statement stupid. Its just a matter of opinion.

Finally coming to what I posted in response to the other poster . . . I was trying to say in an indirect way that this wasn't my opinion I was quoting but that of sir garfield sobers. Maybe it wasn't that clear from my sentence but your sarcasm is welll. . . as I said I am not surprised.

RhyZa

School Boy/Girl Cricketer
I enjoyed Sobers take on it. Fans think they know everything but often players feel differently. One can assume bias or personal experience clouds judgment but when there are so many variables in comparing players, it's yet another factor to consider.