• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the second greatest batsman ever redux, 100 men from 5 eras whittled to 1

Victor Ian

International Coach
Graeme Pollock
Doug Walters
Geoff Boycott
Clive Lloyd
Barry Richards
Zaheer Abbas
Greg Chappell
Sunil Gavaskar
Alvin Kallicharran
Gordon Greenidge

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 1, Heat 6:

Greg Chappell (17 votes)
Sunil Gavaskar (17 votes)
Graeme Pollock (15 votes)
Gordon Greenidge (13 votes)
Clive Lloyd (8 votes)

Barry Richards (7 votes)
Geoff Boycott (2 votes)
Zaheer Abbas (2 votes)
Doug Walters (2 votes)
Alvin Kallicharran(0 votes)

Round 1, Heat 7

Viv Richards
Graham Gooch
Javed Miandad
David Gower
Allan Border
Martin Crowe
Alec Stewart
Mohammad Azharuddin
Aravinda De Silva
Steve Waugh

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Round 1, Heat 6:

Greg Chappell (17 votes)
Sunil Gavaskar (17 votes)
Graeme Pollock (15 votes)
Gordon Greenidge (13 votes)
Clive Lloyd (8 votes)

Barry Richards (7 votes)
Geoff Boycott (2 votes)
Zaheer Abbas (2 votes)
Doug Walters (2 votes)
Alvin Kallicharran(0 votes)
Joke.

Round 1, Heat 7

Viv Richards
Graham Gooch
Javed Miandad
David Gower
Allan Border
Martin Crowe
Alec Stewart
Mohammad Azharuddin
Aravinda De Silva
Steve Waugh

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah. Azharuddin under-rated on CW IMO.

I don't suspect I really rate Crowe lower than the rest of you do unless he'd actually be in your top four.
I suspect you do if you consider Azharuddin the better bat overall. Crowe is definitely one of a few batsmen around considerably better than their average suggests. As has been harped upon several times, he was picked too early against Lillee and Thomson & finished playing virtually on one leg. The majority of his career he was a >50 batsmen, and he played in the era of Marshall, Imran, Garner, Akram, Younus etc and pretty much got the better of all of them.

watson

Banned
Can't leave out the batsman who played the greatest innings of all time according to the much vaunted book 'Masterly Batting' by Chasingthedon and Fred et al.

Quite like this round as I was able to choose 5 batsman who were both great and critical to the success of their respective teams.

Viv Richards
Graham Gooch
Javed Miandad
Allan Border
Martin Crowe

Last edited:

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Viv Richards
Graham Gooch
Javed Miandad
David Gower
Allan Border
Martin Crowe
Alec Stewart
Mohammad Azharuddin
Aravinda De Silva
Steve Waugh

Real toss up between Gooch and Waugh for that fifth spot. Could've gone either way.