• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CW chooses the 2 best bowlers ever: 60 spinners + 100 pacemen in 2 separate contests

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
like I know this forum enough to know Cowie has an infinitely better chance of advancing further than Caddick which is the biggest justification I need for Cowie over Caddick to be a sensible choice.

you're really in the minority with your thoughts viirya

mr_mister

btw John Saunder is Jack Saunders. John/Jack are interchangeable as names or at least commonly were back then. You might be right on Nadkarni

edit - Raghunath Nadkarni and Bapu Nadkarni are the same person, on howstat he's listed as Raghunath Nadkarni tho

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Had a bit of time to go through the list.. the most blatant misses are:
Andy Caddick
Graham McKenzie
Peter Siddle
Geoff Lawson
Iqbal Qasim
Steve Harmison
Monty Noble
Tim Southee

There are 30-40 that I don't think belong, but of them the most obvious ones to be replaced with the above are:
Mohammad Nissar
Amar Singh
Bob Appleyard
Bernard Bosanquet
Jack Iverson
Ted McDonald
George Ulyett
Jack Cowie

Some players I couldn't even find:
Vincent Van Der Bijl - do you mean Cyril Vincent?
Rag Nadkarni - do you mean Bapu Nadkarni?
John Saunders - do you mean Jack Saunders?

Garth Le Roux didn't play tests
Dear God. You really are an example of the limitation of statistics aren't you.

mr_mister

it sucks coz I like the effort he's put into finding new players to add, just shocked he he wants to replace Cowie, McDonald Van Der Bijl instead of some other players I could understand maybe to be subbed out like Max Walker or Nathan Lyon

and viriya Bosanquet apparently invented the googly so he gets massive bonus points for that. you're one dimensional in your analysis of cricket

Last edited:

the big bambino

International Captain
Caddick especially is hugely underrated imo. Dude averaged 26 in non-Ashes tests but because he faced the GOAT batting line-up for majority of the matches he played he ended up with a 30 average. He also has 234 wickets - in the top 50 there.

Definitely deserves to be in any top 100 list.
No he doesn't. He bombed against everyone except NZ and a disintegrating WI.

the big bambino

International Captain
Just had a re look at Australia's spinners. All of them are quality and deserve to be there. Only hmm ... maybe is Lyon.

viriya

International Captain
like I know this forum enough to know Cowie has an infinitely better chance of advancing further than Caddick which is the biggest justification I need for Cowie over Caddick to be a sensible choice.

you're really in the minority with your thoughts viirya
Cowie probably was a bad example of someone to replace since you did say FC records count. But my main point is there are 4-5 players that definitely deserve a spot and I'm sure you can find players to replace from the 30 odd names I gave as potential non-worthies.

viriya

International Captain
it sucks coz I like the effort he's put into finding new players to add, just shocked he he wants to replace Cowie, McDonald Van Der Bijl instead of some other players I could understand maybe to be subbed out like Max Walker or Nathan Lyon

and viriya Bosanquet apparently invented the googly so he gets massive bonus points for that. you're one dimensional in your analysis of cricket
I don't mind the arguments for Cowie based on FC records since I didn't consider them. The idea that someone gets picked otherwise just because doesn't make sense imo.

Last edited:

mr_mister

okay. hope i didnt come accross as hostile. old mate complaining about my aussie spinners put me in a bad mood

i'll find a place for Caddick and some others

would anyone be opposed to Amar Singh and Mohammad Nissar being replaced? I'm giving them most of their credit for being the first decent indian quicks, i dunno how good they were in reality compared to their international peers. Nissar did have an awesome introduction to test cricket tho

viriya

International Captain
viriya probably watches less cricket than watson.
I haven't watched any pre-1950s cricket matches aside from small snippets.. have you watched any of those matches to really rate players "properly"?

It's just popular to **** on someone like Harmison and pick some dude you've heard is great but don't really know aside from some honorific article you've read. Most players got obituaries that waxed lyrical those days..

Last edited:

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A more or less 30 average in one of the most batting friendly decades is "bombed"?
That's not quite true, Caddick played between '93 and '03 and while it was better batting conditions than say the 1980s, it wasn't nearly as batter dominated as the next decade between 2003 - 2013.

the big bambino

International Captain
A more or less 30 average in one of the most batting friendly decades is "bombed"?
90s was one of the better bowling decades. So yeah.

How about this one?

Clive Rice? Clive Rice? Never heard of him ... Do you mean Clive Lloyd? because he was a batsman. :laugh:

the big bambino

International Captain
okay. hope i didnt come accross as hostile. old mate complaining about my aussie spinners put me in a bad mood

i'll find a place for Caddick and some others

would anyone be opposed to Amar Singh and Mohammad Nissar being replaced? I'm giving them most of their credit for being the first decent indian quicks, i dunno how good they were in reality compared to their international peers. Nissar did have an awesome introduction to test cricket tho
It your thread but I'd leave them in. Especially if you are thinking of axing them bcos viriya doesn't rate anyone who didn't play 20 tests and hasn't heard of anyone who didn't play test simply bcos of circumstances beyond their control.

viriya

International Captain
That's not quite true, Caddick played between '93 and '03 and while it was better batting conditions than say the 1980s, it wasn't nearly as batter dominated as the next decade between 2003 - 2013.
He was around for a good majority of the time the aussies were dominating and had to play most of his matches vs them.