• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketweb decides the second best batsman ever. 32 player bracket, Contest Thread!

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Gentleman Joe.. You are up!!! :p

EDIT: Just to be clear, if this one does end a tie, do we get a triple threat semifinal? Sobers Vs Sachin Vs Lara will be sooo epic!!! Worthy of a final in such a battle, I would think.

Last edited:

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Sachin is actually up 18 to 17.

Didn't notice cricaddict's vote.

So again.

G.I to either tie or give Sachin the win.

I think Sachin would face Sobers in the next round.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Sachin vs Sobers battles have tended to run closer on CW than Lara vs Sobers (Lara > Sobers FTR, contrary to the prevalent CW petite bourgeoisie opinion), so I'm going Sachin here.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
Sachin vs Sobers battles have tended to run closer on CW than Lara vs Sobers (Lara > Sobers FTR, contrary to the prevalent CW petite bourgeoisie opinion), so I'm going Sachin here.
I can't think of any logical reason that someone would think Lara > Sobers.

harsh.ag

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I can't think of any logical reason that someone would think Lara > Sobers.
1. More stylish
2. Batted at the top of the order more often
3. More runs per innings
4. The backfoot punch through the off-side
5. 400 and 375

among others...

watson

Banned
1. More stylish
3. More runs per innings
5. 400 and 375

among others...
Sobers averaged 72 at 3 and 64 at 4, so it's not case of Sobers being a mere lower order wonder. The fact that he had to bowl a lot probably prohibited him being higher up the order more often.

I was about to say that Sobers is like Tendulkar in that he was successful against everyone, everywhere - a huge plus. But just noticed that he was very ordinary against the Kiwis. Interesting.

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Not making excuses. But the New Zealand tours were almost always after long Australian tours and it seems that he wasn't always that motivated against them. There were also various niggles and injuries that he carried over from the previous tours.

I am speaking from memory, so I speak under correction.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
1. More stylish
3. More runs per innings
5. 400 and 375

among others...
1. Nup
2. Sobers would've if he'd not been an allrounder
3. Fair enough
4. Sobers quick hands