• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Cricket Tour? Meet-up and Games

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Right, in aid of getting this back to people's attention:

Message from Goughy - "Was talking to a guy last night and mentioned the possibility of the CW cricket tour to Bulgaria - He was saying that free accomodation at the National Sports Academy wouldnt be a problem and that 2 games could be arranged and there could be coaching (development) sessions set up with students and at a school."

I've just checked out WizzAir who fly from Luton to Sofia and the flights are dirt cheap. So - free accommodation, flights that cost about as much as a night out, and a place in history. What are you possibly waiting for? Let's get this thing on the road and actually do something rather than spending our lives talking about it.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to Neil for doing that.

He seems to be the man that can drive this from the UK end and Ill sort out the Bulgarian end.

The 2 games would probably be against the Ambassadors XI and the National Team (known as National Sports Academy)

Never know, I may even host an official reception at Chez Goughy :)

Last edited:

PY

International Coach
If it is after July 11th then I am in.

& I'm happy about it not turning into a total half-arsed job.

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thanks to Neil for doing that.

He seems to be the man that can drive this from the UK end and Ill sort out the Bulgarian end.

The 2 games would probably be against the Ambassadors XI and the National Team (known as National Sports Academy)

Never know, I may even host an official reception at Chez Goughy :)
British diplomatic staff?

33/3from3.3

International Vice-Captain
I reckon the best part of this would be saying to your mate two weeks later
You "You know I've faced national team bowlers and scored 23"
Them "Which nation?"
You "murmurmumblebulgariamumblemurmur"

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
They usually play a game against touring opposition, as far as I know they are mainly diplomats bolstered by the ex-pat community.
Yeah, I know the score, was just enquiring for my brother is British diplomat and has represented ‘Ambassador’s XI’ (mainly in the Caribbean and Central Africa) but his currently eyeing up a posting in Sofia for next year and I’m sure he will be interested in playing if any sort of game went down. And who knows the prospect of a game of cricket may put him of a proposed move to Basra international airport.

Last edited:

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
]And who knows the prospect of a game of cricket may put him of a proposed move to Basra international airport.
If he plays football then there is a very lively football scene that the Brit Dips are heavily involved in and there is a good ex-pat Rugby/drinking club here.

I think Id take here over Basra :)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
If it is after July 11th then I am in.

& I'm happy about it not turning into a total half-arsed job.
Repeating myself, I'm available May 23-27 and July 6 onwards.

July is clearly the best for PY here - what about the rest of us? Commitment please!

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
July is probably the most expensive time to fly, but at the same time we usually have a plant wide shut down around that time period so it would be a good time to a vacation.

Put me down as a maybe (still) until I find out more about what'll be going on next year.

Langeveldt

Soutie
Sorry I missed this thread, must have been banned!

I'm very much up for this too.. Goughy is sound as, having spent a great few days in Pretoria with him at the beginning of the year.. Over 18's will have plenty of fun if he gets his way :laugh:

To be honest, with my life going a bit mental at the moment, its about fourth down on my list of priorities, after work of course, being in SA and going to France.. But basically if I can go, then I will..

I've been to Bulgaria before and can vouch for it being a great place, and very convenient to get to if you are in Europe.. Dead cheap, relitively safe, and I'm looking forward to the chance to play cricket there.. I have to commend Goughy and Pickup for their thoughts in this thread..

I'm willing to help with any press/media/photography stuff and I will bring all my camera kit along too.. Hope my services were good enough in Pretoria to be required again

PY

International Coach
RIght, is there any known date for when this can be finalised because I've got to to sort something at work which needs to be finalised in terms of dates and being utterly daft, I'm up for changing my career path dependent on this tour. :laugh: :p

I know it's quite a long way away if it is done in July but still, a failure to plan is a plan to fail.

Matteh

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
July would be fine for me, would have Uni/Exam Invigilation stuff out the way.

The free accomodation thing confirmed means i can basically commit with no foreseeable problems.