• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

CricketWeb Cricket Tour? Meet-up and Games

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Can the stupidity. This has the potential to be absolutely fantastic.

I am absolutely, definitely 100% in on this and if there is anyone in the UK who has been a long term member and I know well but is struggling in terms of travel or finance then I may well be able to help out. I've spent long enough in my life worrying about every last pound to know where you are coming from.

Dates-wise there are three options for me. (a) Between 21 March and 17 April, (b) 22-28 May (summer half term) or (c) 6 July onwards. I would imagine that if we did it properly I could find a day or two either side of the half term break - but not too much.

Bulgaria also appears to have the longest summer holidays in Europe (BBC News) - so it would have to be the April or May time if we were to try the schools links. Is April too early? I would guess so.

Do we have eleven? If I am honest, I don't see the names being listed thus far as being good enough. I know it's a weak standard, but still, so are several of us!
Wow, top guy, I couldn't ever envisage myself doing anything like that, unless for a really good friend.

Shaggy Alfresco

State Captain
http://bulgarian-cricket.hit.bg/

the website for the Bulgarian Cricket Federation (in Bulgarian).

Apparently my Bulgarian friend lives in Ruse, on the Danube. I'd love to go meet him.

He also says that if we're going in the summer, we have to go to the Black Sea Coast, and that Sofia is a smog-infested ugly hellhole which we should avoid at all costs.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member

I am absolutely, definitely 100% in on this and if there is anyone in the UK who has been a long term member and I know well but is struggling in terms of travel or finance then I may well be able to help out. I've spent long enough in my life worrying about every last pound to know where you are coming from.
Jeeys... never seen this one so excited.

Kweek

Cricketer Of The Year

Dates-wise there are three options for me. (a) Between 21 March and 17 April, (b) 22-28 May (summer half term) or (c) 6 July onwards. I would imagine that if we did it properly I could find a day or two either side of the half term break - but not too much.

Bulgaria also appears to have the longest summer holidays in Europe (BBC News) - so it would have to be the April or May time if we were to try the schools links. Is April too early? I would guess so.

Do we have eleven? If I am honest, I don't see the names being listed thus far as being good enough. I know it's a weak standard, but still, so are several of us!

think I can do most dates, but more in favour of july 6 onwards...
problem with march/april and may dates is that I got uni and possibelly exams..
but hey i can always see whens what...really want to be a part of this

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
It looks to me like the biggest stumbling block here would be numbers.

The most obvious solution to me would be to look at finding how many CWers are committed to it initially: then look as to whether they have any friends who are up for it - I can imagine a couple of my former University 4th XI team mates would quite possibly be up for it. From flicking back through the thread, realistic options appear to be:

Goughy
Me
SJS
The Sean
Matteh
Richard
Kweek

+ Heath and NP10.

That's 7 (9) - almost there!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
TBH, given I'm soon to be made redundant I don't really have a clue what my situation will be come April\May\June time. Beyond question, I'd love to be a part of the "tour", but if I'm working for Exeter City Council or SouthWest Water it'd probably not be possible to dictate dates I wanted off, especially if I'd only been there a couple of months.

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
http://bulgarian-cricket.hit.bg/

He also says that if we're going in the summer, we have to go to the Black Sea Coast, and that Sofia is a smog-infested ugly hellhole which we should avoid at all costs.
Black sea coast is full of Brits, Germans and Russians and is very touristy. There is obviously good reasons to go as so many people do. However, its more of a beach holiday thing and not the 'real' Bulgaria.

Sofia is an ex-communist Eastern European Capital. Its not Paris in the Summertime. Its a cultural experience. A complete mishmash of post communist decay and shiny new developments. Its also a pretty safe city compared to most places.

Craig

World Traveller
Black sea coast is full of Brits, Germans and Russians and is very touristy. There is obviously good reasons to go as so many people do. However, its more of a beach holiday thing and not the 'real' Bulgaria.

Sofia is an ex-communist Eastern European Capital. Its not Paris in the Summertime. Its a cultural experience. A complete mishmash of post communist decay and shiny new developments. Its also a pretty safe city compared to most places.
Yeah I didn't have any problems in Eastern Europe. Felt perfectly safe, although I did my hands in my pockets just in case (my wallet had Singapore money anyway). I would be in if I was in Europe. Wanted to go, but never got the chance.

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
Would be a bit of a hit to the wallet, but if I keep saving I reckon I'm a realistic prob.

Reckon it should be limited to CWers, not sure how it'd be playing with a bunch of someones mates.

Craig

World Traveller
If I did make it and that is a one 1/10000000 chance at this stage, I can probably take the title as the slowest bowler and I'm not a spinner :mellow:

Pickup and Dickinson have seen me bowl so they can attest to that. Thing was I was very sore the next day.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Would be a bit of a hit to the wallet, but if I keep saving I reckon I'm a realistic prob.

Reckon it should be limited to CWers, not sure how it'd be playing with a bunch of someones mates.
Granted. But better to play with someone's mates and have eleven than not happen at all. If they are people who can cope with me for years then they're sound...

HeathDavisSpeed

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hmmm...

Sounds like I'm going on a cricket tour to Brisbane in March/April. Could blow out my funds for going to Europe... Not too sure. It all depends on the timing. Later in the Summer would be possible, otherwise unlikely.