• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricketers you pick often in drafts

ataraxia

International Coach
Can't think of any massive outlier for me yet (apart from Dennis Lillee 0 and Ian Botham 0 obvs). I imagine Compton and Inzi would be up there purely because I used to think CW rated them higher than is reality.

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
Without doing an accurate tally, players I have picked on more than 3 occasions are: Sobers (5+), Hobbs, Sutcliffe, Donald, Willis, Roberts and Boucher.

JOJOXI

International Vice-Captain
Through the power of spreadsheets and having a job where sitting at my computer is normal i have calculated my list.

Players i have drafted 5 times or more in Test drafts:

NameCount
Mike Procter
12​
Alastair Cook
11​
George Headley
10​
Jim Laker
9​
Graeme Pollock
8​
Frank Worrell
8​
Wasim Akram
8​
Waqar Younis
8​
Victor Trumper
8​
Ted Dexter
8​
Bill O'Reilly
8​
Alan Davidson
8​
Maurice Tate
7​
MS Dhoni
7​
Herbie Taylor
7​
Everton Weekes
7​
Graeme Smith
7​
Quinton de Kock
7​
Jack Gregory
7​
Keith Miller
6​
Denis Lindsay
6​
Bob Willis
6​
Mohammad Yousuf
6​
Gary Sobers
6​
Clyde Walcott
6​
Hanif Mohammad
6​
Courtney Walsh
6​
Vijay Hazare
6​
Rohan Kanhai
6​
BS Chandrasekhar
6​
Jacques Kallis
5​
Fred Spofforth
5​
Richard Hadlee
5​
Curtly Ambrose
5​
Denis Compton
5​
Viv Richards
5​
Kumar Sangakkara
5​
Adam Gilchrist
5​
Glenn McGrath
5​
Brendon McCullum
5​
Kapil Dev
5​
Andy Roberts
5​
Dale Steyn
5​
Peter May
5​
Ken Barrington
5​
Ricky Ponting
5​
Michael Clarke
5​
Trent Boult
5​
George Lohmann
5​
Bill Johnston
5​
Jason Gillespie
5​
David Warner
5​
John Snow
5​
I do feel like I've noticed the preference for Cook - has a good record given circumstances of opening for England where half the matches aren't the most favourable conditions even if he isn't the most attractive batsman in terms of range of strokes. Wonder if we'll find out that we all love to pick Procter - not at the top of my list so far but not too far off it atm.

howitzer

State Vice-Captain
In 5 drafts I've already picked a few players twice:

Mankad (only available in 3 of them)
May (also only available in 3, Surrey ftw)
Root (available in 4)
Snow (available in 3)

Teuton

International Captain
I do feel like I've noticed the preference for Cook - has a good record given circumstances of opening for England where half the matches aren't the most favourable conditions even if he isn't the most attractive batsman in terms of range of strokes.
And I picked him once again in the current draft so +1 to that tally.

2010/11 Ashes must have made a big impression

JOJOXI

At one point (back in 2016) there were 3 drafts running at once, and I'd picked Aubrey Faulkner in all of them, but I'm not sure I've picked him much since then.
Not sure I've ever had that on my end, but interesting you're not sure you've picked him much since then - half-conscious decision or just coincidence?

AndrewB

I don't think it was deliberate beyond a vague thought of "I can't just keep picking the same players each time".
I feel like I've picked Hobbs a lot recently, but I can't be bothered to check how often... and it didn't stop me picking him first in the recent 3-country draft.