• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

Matt79

Global Moderator
Unfair comment re: 20 hour wait = retracted. ;) Only joshing horse.

But Simon won't be on until tomorrow morning[/reverse psychology]

Matt79

Global Moderator
^^ Lol, crazy ol' Raghav jumping the gun badly there. Who says sledging doesn't work.

Jakester's gone forever IMO, you might as well go now. (Take Boucher - start some **** ;) )

The Sean

Cricketer Of The Year
I'm not going to consider anyone who has played less than 30 Test Matches.

Realize players like Bond and G.Pollock won't be included but I'm not convinced that their averages wouldn't have dropped had they played more matches.
Interestingly (well for me, anyway), Pollock's average did drop when he played more matches. The 1970 England v RoW matches were organised, promoted and played as official Tests, with Test caps awarded and the statistics recognised. Pollock had a relatively poor series and his Test average dropped from 60.97 to 55.68. Of course, the matches were then retrospectively stripped of Test status a couple of years later and so Pollock's average was reinstated at 60.97.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Loving the flurry of wicketkeeper selections right there. Nice to see the selectors reacting to each others selections rather than merely going through the motions.

EDIT: Come on, Jakester, make your pick. It'd be a pity for you to drop out and to see Hadlee go to waste.

Last edited:

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
my next pick is my first opener, I'll be hoping to get someone later on as my second opener who isnt as up there as far as stats and appreciation goes, so for now I choose former England opener Herbert Sutcliffe.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Interestingly (well for me, anyway), Pollock's average did drop when he played more matches. The 1970 England v RoW matches were organised, promoted and played as official Tests, with Test caps awarded and the statistics recognised. Pollock had a relatively poor series and his Test average dropped from 60.97 to 55.68. Of course, the matches were then retrospectively stripped of Test status a couple of years later and so Pollock's average was reinstated at 60.97.
I never knew this, but it does beg the question whether or not Pollock's stature in the game would be as high if those matches were included.

Simon

After 6 Aussies in a row we have managed to go a full round through without one being picked. Pretty surprising.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Loving the flurry of wicketkeeper selections right there. Nice to see the selectors reacting to each others selections rather than merely going through the motions.

EDIT: Come on, Jakester, make your pick. It'd be a pity for you to drop out and to see Hadlee go to waste.
Yeah, I'm loving the keepers being chosen too.

I am slightly surprised that Gilchrist, Sangakarra and Flower were the first 3 chosen however.

Are keepers who kept well and averaged in the mid 20s going to be looked down upon?

Jakester1288

International Regular
Brian Lara and Michael Hussey.

Sorry for my inactivity guys, couldn't get on the computer for a few days.

Take me out if you like, though my activity shouldn't be a problem anymore.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Brian Lara and Michael Hussey.

Sorry for my inactivity guys, couldn't get on the computer for a few days.

Take me out if you like, though my activity shouldn't be a problem anymore.
Nah, I don't have a problem with you staying in.

Around Xmas time, I think I'm going to struggle to be on as much as usual.

1.01 chaminda_00 - Muttiah Muralitharan
1.02 G.I. Joe - Don Bradman
1.03 NUFAN - Gary Sobers
1.04 HeathDavisSpeed - Curtly Ambrose
1.05 Somerset - Shane Warne
1.06 Jakester1288 - Richard Hadlee
1.07 Jamee999 - Malcom Marshall
1.08 Raghav - Wasim Akram
1.09 Simon - Adam Gilchrist
1.10 Matt79 - Imran Khan
1.11 Michaelf7777777 - Keith Miller
1.12 morgieb - Viv Richards
1.13 pskov - Jack Hobbs

2.01 pskov - Glenn McGrath
2.02 morgieb - Dennis Lillee
2.03 Michaelf7777777 - Alan Davidson
2.04 Matt79 - Bill O'Reilly
2.05 Simon - Clarrie Grimmett
2.06 Raghav - Alan Border
2.07 Jamee999 - Joel Garner
2.08 Jakester1288 - Brian Lara
2.09 Somerset - George Headley
2.10 HeathDavisSpeed - Frank Tyson
2.11 NUFAN - Fred Trueman
2.12 G.I. Joe - Shane Bond
2.13 chaminda_00 - Kumar Sangakarra

3, 01 chaminda_00 - Jacques Kallis
3. 02 G.I. Joe - Clive Walcott
3. 03 NUFAN - Sachin Tendulkar
3. 04 HeathDavisSpeed - Graeme Pollock
3. 05 Somerset - Andy Flower
3. 06 Jakestar1288 - Mike Hussey
3. 07 Jamee999 - Ken Barrington
3. 08 Raghav - Mark Boucher
3. 09 Simon - Herbert Sutcliffe
3. 10 Matt79 - Wally Hammond
3. 11 Michaelf7777777 - Les Ames
3. 12 morgieb -
3. 13 pskov -

Last edited:

Simon

maybe we can agree to have a bit of downtime over xmas, like no 24 hour deadline period. If you are online and its your pick then you can go but people shouldnt be penalised if they arent on over the holidays.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
maybe we can agree to have a bit of downtime over xmas, like no 24 hour deadline period. If you are online and its your pick then you can go but people shouldnt be penalised if they arent on over the holidays.
Yeah I agree.

Xmas with family > Selecting my player. :)

I think from the 24th to 28th I'll be fairly inactive, I suppose I could go online though for 5 minutes and select someone if need be.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Wally Hammond. 3rd best batsman ever IMO. Would love to take another bowler here but he's too good to pass up. Decent mf bowler as well.

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Wally Hammond. 3rd best batsman ever IMO. Would love to take another bowler here but he's too good to pass up. Decent mf bowler as well.
I was tossing up between Hammond and Tendulkar actually.

I never realized before the other day that his bowling was decent, he took a 5-for opening the bowling on debut!

Went for Tendulkar, but it was very close for me, tough decision.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
Leslie Ames (1930's Ebgland keeper, not to sure if I got the 1st name right) for my next pick as I feel I need a top clas wicketkeeper-batsman as most of the good ones are gone and he was the best of the rest in my opinion.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeh sounds good to me. Though the speed of the selecting has picked up of late so by Christmas we may well be more than half way through the selection process anyway.

Simon

Maybe we can agree say something like from 23rd December to the 2nd of January or something then?