• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket team draft

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Was hoping that a few more selections would have been done by now...

C'mon Luffy!

Simon

Request Your Custom Title Now!
pretty sure hes at school, if he doesnt post in the next 15 minutes or so i wont be able to post mine after him till tomorrow morning Aus time.

SirBloody Idiot

Cricketer Of The Year
It is probably worthwhile sending a list of 20-30 guys to the person running this so if you aren't online, they can just work down from there. Saves the huge gaps in time ruining this game.

Also maybe worth making four windows for each pick before the next guy comes up. Obviously, if you miss your first four hours you can post that pick whenever - but the person after might steal it from you.

Simon

ill be fair here. As I'm after Luffy I'll make my picks now:
1 Adam Gilchrist
2 Graeme Pollock

If luffy takes Gilchrist fair enough, but there will be trouble.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
It is probably worthwhile sending a list of 20-30 guys to the person running this so if you aren't online, they can just work down from there. Saves the huge gaps in time ruining this game.

Also maybe worth making four windows for each pick before the next guy comes up. Obviously, if you miss your first four hours you can post that pick whenever - but the person after might steal it from you.
The problem is something like that is time zones. Harsh if your window falls in the time when your likely to be alseep/at school/uni/working. 24 hours is the only way to be fair. Just means it will take a while. Though email selections is the best option overall.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
A quick question: Will the attributes and abilities of players who played both before and after WWI be taken purely on post WWI performances or based on their entire careers both before and after the war?

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
A quick question: Will the attributes and abilities of players who played both before and after WWI be taken purely on post WWI performances or based on their entire careers both before and after the war?
The only players that are able to be selected are ones after WW2. So you can't pick players prior to that. Was stated in the first post.

Michaelf7777777

International Debutant
An interesting exercise and something fun to do. 12 (depending on interest) people take it in turns to select eleven cricketers from history to make an all star team. At the conclusion of the draft we will have a poll on the forum to declare the victor and also someone could organise a tournament to be simmed out to find a winner that way too.

Rules

1. The draft order will be randomly determined by an online dice roll generator, then proceed in serpentine fashion e.g. say there were three teams drafting, in odd rounds the order would be A, B, C then in the even rounds C, B, A (with team C picking twice in a row). This removes the advantage of some teams always picking earlier.

2. Any player who played in an officially recognised test post-WWI is eligible for selection (post golden age is a good cutoff point to avoid selecting bowlers with ridiculous averages and with little information on them etc.)

3. Teams will be composed of 11 players selected on the basis of a test match side to play in any conditions, against any opposition, anywhere in the world. You don't have to pick two openers, or a spinner or 4 bowlers or even a wicketkeeper if you don't want to! There is no 12th man, so the 11 you select are the ones you have to go to war with regardless.

4. There will be no time limit to make your pick at first but I may implement one at some stage if the majority of participants want to speed up the process. Either way, if you join this you should be able to check the thread and pick at least once a day and ideally much more often. If someone does take too long and there is a general consensus then a drafter can have their pick skipped and will just have to make it up whenever they do turn up.

5. There will also be a concurrent draft for the home ground which will be in reverse order of the player draft. This will be used for any sim that may take place. i.e. If we do a county championship style play everyone home and away league format then the ground you draft will be your home pitch.

6. Any other rules which may become necessary will be added here as they come up.

Post below to register interest! I think that 10-12 will be a good number but if more are up for it then it can probably go up to say 16 before it starts getting unwieldy. Forummers can also feel free to team up and share a team, especially useful if you want to take part but are not sure if you can fulfill the time commitment on your own.
Chaminda: Thank you for your answer but point 2 of the rules in the original post says post WWI and the reference to post golden age makes me think that it is unlikely to be a typo.

chaminda_00

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry mate misread what you wrote.

I could be wrong but I don't think there is many bowlers who played on both eras that have crazy bowling averages. Most pitches by the 1910s had settled down I think.

Matt79

Global Moderator
ffs luffy - he's holding up CW survivor and this - I'm so close to actually getting to do something! :laugh:

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
He still has just over 3 hours before it's been 24 hours since the last pick.

I think if you don't make your selection within 24 hours of the person before, the people after you can pick until that person logs in, when they log in they can pick the missed selection straight away and not have to wait. Does that make sense?

Anyone else think this is fair or not?

Simon

Yeh think that is fair enough. That means I get Gilchrist and we are up to the next pick after me.

Jakester1288

International Regular
I think it's unfair, because some days I cannot be on.

Ya know, going out, school with things to do at night, cricket training, parties etc. I reckon you should have unlimited time, but try to do it as quickly as possible.

Everyone to subscribe to this thread, if they haven't already.

Simon

I think it's unfair, because some days I cannot be on.

Ya know, going out, school with things to do at night, cricket training, parties etc. I reckon you should have unlimited time, but try to do it as quickly as possible.

Everyone to subscribe to this thread, if they haven't already.
Naa it's completely fair actually, you agreed to take part knowing what was required, it's actually unfair on everyone else if there are 2-3 days between picks, look at the way its going, you will probably only need to make 2 picks a week and if you cant be on to do that then maybe you shouldnt take part.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Alright, I'm amazed he's still available, and am stoked to take Imran Khan. Would have taken him ahead of everyone bar Bradman and Sobers tbh

Simon

1. chaminda_00 - Muttiah Muralitharan
2. G.I. Joe - Don Bradman
3. NUFAN - Gary Sobers
4. HeathDavisSpeed - Curtly Ambrose
5. Somerset - Shane Warne
6. Jakester1288 - Richard Hadlee
7. Jamee999 - Malcom Marshall
8. Raghav - Wasim Akram
9. luffy
10. Simon - Adam Gilchrist
11. Matt79 - Imran Khan
12. Michaelf7777777
13. morgieb
14. pskov

NUFAN

Y no Afghanistan flag
Alright, I'm amazed he's still available, and am stoked to take Imran Khan. Would have taken him ahead of everyone bar Bradman and Sobers tbh
I was actually tossing up between Sobers and Imran for my initial pick. :)