• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Burgey is clearly right if your goal is excellence and success

If you're more leaning toward "make everyone feel happy and not have to face challenges and everyone's a winner" I guess that's another way of looking at it
Think of the happiness which comes from winning.

You know it makes sense.

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Lol the amount of genuine verbal abuse I've seen thrown around on the cricket field under the banner of "it's sport" and "sledging" is ridiculous

It's always the guys who want to escalate to physical if you give anything back too. Like they enjoy keeping it at just words until they're embarrassed then it's punchy punchy time

Burgey

I've never seen that happen tbh (heard about it plenty), but I wasn't really a sledger anyway.

mr_mister

I've never seen that happen tbh (heard about it plenty), but I wasn't really a sledger anyway.
Maybe it's just in the lower grades. Happens a lot when there's no official umpires. Every lbw shout results in someone feeling hard done by. Getting bowled or caught is the only way to have a non controversial dismissal. And even then nobody walks for a caught behind to the keeper, has to go the slip. It all leads to more tension on the field then there's always an accusation or threat issued by someone at some point

Line and Length

Cricketer Of The Year
I've never been a sledger but I once pointed to the pavilion after taking a wicket. The ball before my victim had hit a four and proclaimed loudly, "It's easy off medium pace crap."

mr_mister

I've never been a sledger but I once pointed to the pavilion after taking a wicket. The ball before my victim had hit a four and proclaimed loudly, "It's easy off medium pace crap."
It's justified in those circumstances. I'm all for verbal self defence. But see I've seen situations where the instigator suddenly saw red and would want to fight the bowler for what you did. Some absolute Neanderthals in club sport

TheJediBrah

Lol at deleting that post
I stand by it completely just didn't want to have 2 posts in a row and I liked the other one better
Lol the amount of genuine verbal abuse I've seen thrown around on the cricket field under the banner of "it's sport" and "sledging" is ridiculous

It's always the guys who want to escalate to physical if you give anything back too. Like they enjoy keeping it at just words until they're embarrassed then it's punchy punchy time
Remind me to stay away from your league

Burgey

Maybe it's just in the lower grades. Happens a lot when there's no official umpires. Every lbw shout results in someone feeling hard done by. Getting bowled or caught is the only way to have a non controversial dismissal. And even then nobody walks for a caught behind to the keeper, has to go the slip. It all leads to more tension on the field then there's always an accusation or threat issued by someone at some point
Yeah the home team umpiring thing is a shocker. The solution one association came up with was every team below the top three grades (there were about 15 grades in the district back then) had a bye, and you only got 10 points for the bye if you umpired a neutral game in another competition which no team from your own club was playing in. It worked a treat.

TheJediBrah

It's justified in those circumstances. I'm all for verbal self defence. But see I've seen situations where the instigator suddenly saw red and would want to fight the bowler for what you did. Some absolute Neanderthals in club sport
I'm quite discerning, I only abuse people smaller than me

mr_mister

Yeah the home team umpiring thing is a shocker. The solution one association came up with was every team below the top three grades (there were about 15 grades in the district back then) had a bye, and you only got 10 points for the bye if you umpired a neutral game in another competition which no team from your own club was playing in. It worked a treat.
I'd love that. Having players umpire a match they're playing in is so nuts to me. Such a blatant conflict of interest. And what do you mean by home team? We literally just use players within the XI to umpire while their team is batting.

Like the number 7 batsmen might umpire for the first 20 overs, then when he has to pad up himself a previously dismissed batsman would do it

TheJediBrah

I'd love that. Having players umpire a match they're playing in is so nuts to me. Such a blatant conflict of interest. And what do you mean by home team? We literally just use players within the XI to umpire while their team is batting.

Like the number 7 batsmen might umpire for the first 20 overs, then when he has to pad up himself a previously dismissed batsman would do it
Imagine the last game of the season and the bloke batting is just about to overtake you for the batting award so you trigger him would be scenes

Chubb

International Regular
My team literally had a game called off last year because one of the opposition players kicked over the stumps, stormed off our ground screaming, threatened to kill our captain and put the rest of us in the ground, then threw things around the away shed.