• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

Starfighter

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I just don't understand how they do it. I've played in teams that regularly got bowled out for under 40 yet none has been that inept.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
'Preliminary quarter final' in March, 'Quarter final' now. I'm guessing this has something to do with the Ranji Trophy's 572 team structure.
Close. We have something like 37 teams and they wanted to limit teams to like 3 games each or something coz of the limited time window. So they had like 9 groups and so there were 9 qualifiers and presto.

Starfighter

In recent times we've had a few teams (England at Adelaide, both teams for India vs SA at Johannesburg in 2018) go into tests with five pace bowlers, coincidentally all right-arm in the example cases.

Well it turns out there an earlier case which manages to put together one of the most insipid attacks ever, NZ going up against WI in 1996 with
the might of Morrison, Kennedy, Vaughan, Larsen and Harris. NZers might also remember this as the match where Jimmy Adams (test bowling average going in 54) took 5/17.

Xix2565

International Debutant
In recent times we've had a few teams (England at Adelaide, both teams for India vs SA at Johannesburg in 2018) go into tests with five pace bowlers, coincidentally all right-arm in the example cases.

Well it turns out there an earlier case which manages to put together one of the most insipid attacks ever, NZ going up against WI in 1996 with
the might of Morrison, Kennedy, Vaughan, Larsen and Harris. NZers might also remember this as the match where Jimmy Adams (test bowling average going in 54) took 5/17.
I've always wondered, is it justifiable to go all pacers/spinners in a Test if it seems like conditions call for it?

Starfighter

I've always wondered, is it justifiable to go all pacers/spinners in a Test if it seems like conditions call for it?
I think four pacers is occasionally justifiable, but less often that it's used. I don't ever see the need for more than three spinners unless you don't have any good pace bowlers at hand, as they can take wickets on any surface. In terms of ability to bowl overs two spinners = three pace bowlers by my reckoning.

The five pacer attacks are just silly, notably in those cases they're dependent on the team's allrounder being a pace bowler, but if said allrounder is good enough to to the front-line role I don't see the reason to omit a spinner. Especially if the pace bowlers are going to be all RFM.

Xix2565

International Debutant
I think four pacers is occasionally justifiable, but less often that it's used. I don't ever see the need for more than three spinners unless you don't have any good pace bowlers at hand, as they can take wickets on any surface. In terms of ability to bowl overs two spinners = three pace bowlers by my reckoning.

The five pacer attacks are just silly, notably in those cases they're dependent on the team's allrounder being a pace bowler, but if said allrounder is good enough to to the front-line role I don't see the reason to omit a spinner. Especially if the pace bowlers are going to be all RFM.
Looking back at the Johannesburg 2018 case, India only had Ashwin as the spin option competing with Hardik and SA picked Phelukwayo ahead of Maharaj. Both Hardik and Phelukwayo ended up not doing much with bat and ball, though for his limited overs Hardik was the more economical one while Phelukwayo made 5 more runs.