• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
3 of the Top 6 ranked bowlers in Tests are spinners.
Ashwin I can accept, Yasir Shah looks good but after only 12 tests, who knows? and Jadeja the 6th best Test bowler in the world!

Sorry, think it says more about the quality of the test ranking system than about the quality of spin bowlers.

Grumpy

U19 Vice-Captain
Ashwin I can accept, Yasir Shah looks good but after only 12 tests, who knows? and Jadeja the 6th best Test bowler in the world!

Sorry, think it says more about the quality of the test ranking system than about the quality of spin bowlers.
I agree with you. Jadeja as officially the 6th best Test bowler in the world is rather farcical. My point was to illustrate that your issues should not be with just spin, but the state of bowling in general.

turnstyle

State 12th Man
You've all forgotten Mushy too. At one stage he was talked about as being the better spinner of the two.

91Jmay

International Coach
Yeah, 25% sounds like a good enough margin to me. Umpires can hardly moan about being given an extra quarter of the ****ing ball to get the decision right can they.

The_roc

U19 Captain
Not to certain where to post this, so suppose this is as good a place as any.

Will be visiting Western Australia in mid October and was wondering if there is any cricket at the WACA at that time. I have checked the fixture lists but all I can see is an international ODI in November.

Victor Ian

International Coach
Yes, but from the looks of it, that is a projection of where the ball would have gone had it not deviated. I don't know the context of that clip, but I'd suspect it is not, 'This is what hawkeye predicted and this is what actually happened' or it would have been labelled as such. I have seen this projection on Channel Nine before, used to highlight how much someone is swinging the ball or the deviation off the pitch.

Interesting to note how DeVilliers would have middled that into some stand far away had it not deviated.

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Yes, but from the looks of it, that is a projection of where the ball would have gone had it not deviated. I don't know the context of that clip, but I'd suspect it is not, 'This is what hawkeye predicted and this is what actually happened' or it would have been labelled as such. I have seen this projection on Channel Nine before, used to highlight how much someone is swinging the ball or the deviation off the pitch.

Interesting to note how DeVilliers would have middled that into some stand far away had it not deviated.
This is a clip of Hawkeyes predicting both the deviated and non deviated paths (see the white and blue projections). It shows both missing the stumps, when in reality the baseman was clean bowled.

Victor Ian

International Coach
This is a clip of Hawkeyes predicting both the deviated and non deviated paths (see the white and blue projections). It shows both missing the stumps, when in reality the baseman was clean bowled.
Lol, I didn't even notice the balls both missed the stumps. I actually thought the white one was hitting, even when I watched it three times. That's probably why I was called off being the umpire in a local cricket match after about three overs.

nb: I have dispensed likes to Jedi and GI to repent for my poor judgement.

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Last edited:

Daemon

It's still preferable to the margin of error of umpires eyes, which these days appear to range from a couple of inches to half the length of the pitch.

OverratedSanity

It's still preferable to the margin of error of umpires eyes, which these days appear to range from a couple of inches to half the length of the pitch.
Arguable. At this point, I think people are going to get pissed with a lot of decisions even after the new changes.

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member
People tell me this thread is the cricket chat version of "What am I thinking right now"

I want to make a post that consolidates many hours of cogitation. But don't know where to put it so this thread will suffice.

How important is intelligence to a batsman?

I actually think you need only above average intelligence to be a batsman. Often it really helps if you don't over think things and work on the first thought that pops into your mind.
E.g. they have pushed the field back - so I will take singles. Is good thinking. Instead of "they have pushed the field back but if I can hit this guy out of the attack it will really put them under the pump so I will keep hitting out" which is probably not such a good thought. You only have that more ambitious thought when you stop and think for longer than you need to.

Likewise in all my years of playing cricket (over 30 years) whenever the batsman have a long chat in the middle of an over during a partnership you can be guaranteed that a wicket will fall the next over. Guaranteed. I have been in those discussions and they go something like this
"Hurricane we need to move it along now, I will hit out and you just keep pushing the singles."
or
"Let's try to find a way to tick it over a bit faster".

I have had literally only two or three useful conversations between the overs in 30 years and they boiled down to
"Don't be suprised next over if I drop and run. Be sure to back up because I will be calling you through."

The reason why that last conversation was a good one because it was a specific suggestion and a specific tactic and wasn't overly ambitious. Over ambition comes about through over thinking.

More important than being smart is the need to have lots of different shots in your locker bag and the ability to execute them well. If you have a fantastic cover drive and a fantastic forward defence you will score more runs that someone who just knows when to use their cover drive. The better decision maker for example may have a rule that they won't play a cover drive against the new ball and will wait for it to be 15-20 overs old before they will stop leaving everything. The better player who can execute a good cover drive may be willing to put away a half volley early doors. And the sooner in your inning you start scoring the better as then eventually the batsman will begin to believe it is his day. And then it is good night nurse as he will play with confidence.

All of my examples of "Good thinking" in my career have come from quick decisive simple thoughts that are quite obvious in response to what the fielding team has done.
My best batting happens when I stop thinking alltogether and just bat. I play every ball on its merits and seem score freely.

I had the opportunity to play with some West Indian team mates once. They had a marvellous saying they would call out to me after I hit a four or reached 50 or did something of note.
"Bat on. Bat on. Bat on." They would call. Just bat. Don't complicate things. Don't accelerate. Don't decelerate. Don't start taking risky singles. Just keep doing the hard yards out there.

Bat on.

All this said you can't be an idiot and score runs. Many tail end charlies give ridiculous stories for what they were trying to do when they got dismissed. Likewise most tailenders screw up when promoted up the order because they don't know the basic guidelines of how to construct a top order inning. They know you are supposed to be a bit more defensive when you are a top order guy so I commonly see the promoted tail ender score 13 runs off 100 deliveries and then get out. But that isn't anything to do with thinking or intelligence that is to do with experience.
In the few times in my career I have gone number 11 and walked out to bat with 10 balls left I couldn't lay bat on ball. Yet tailenders can because they have been in that position many times and they know how to walk out and play shots immediately without getting their eye in.

tl;dr version - I had some free time and this thought has been bouncing around for 5 years. This is the what are you thinking thread so I figure it belongs here even though I am not expecting many responses.

Last edited: