• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator

OverratedSanity

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Randomly going through WG Grace's season by season FC stats right now and for around fifteen years straight, he's more than twice as good as anyone else. Bonkers. :laugh:

OverratedSanity

Slow day at work so I was watching the highlights of Kolkata 2001 again (you all do it every few months too), and I think my favourite thing about it is how in the 4th innings, several Australian batsmen get out to dead plumb lbws and walk off shaking their heads aghast at the decision as though they've been robbed. It's hilarious.

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
Slow day at work so I was watching the highlights of Kolkata 2001 again (you all do it every few months too), and I think my favourite thing about it is how in the 4th innings, several Australian batsmen get out to dead plumb lbws and walk off shaking their heads aghast at the decision as though they've been robbed. It's hilarious.
Esp McGrath..

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Morne Morkel: 'Aggression is about being able to bowl 90mph for a whole day' | Cricket | ESPN Cricinfo
Enjoyed this interview. Probably one of SA`s most underrated bowlers ever, particularly with the SA public.

Cricinfo have been producing some good interviews recently.
Was a good interview, but I found it rather strange that they devoted so much time and emphasis to "that" Newlands spell to Clarke. That spell seems to now define Morkel and I really think that undersells him, 0/94 is not a career highlight and if it is.......well something's wrong IMO.

Don't get me wrong, it was a brutal piece of bowling. I watched every ball and it was riveting stuff........but at the end of the day Clarke made 160no and Morkel went wicketless. It should warrant 6 paragraphs in an M Clarke interview, but it was a day Morkel came out second best by a distance so it seems strange the way it was talked up in that interview.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
A bit different for a leggie mate.

Haven't read the article, but tbh (and I'm probably in the minority) I really can't get too juiced up over chucking offies. As far as I'm concerned the game was better for having Ajmal playing, so yes......I agree there should be more leniency.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Ashwin does alright as well. The problem is that bending of the arm helps all bowlers, not just off-spinners. So when you start moving the line it just never stops...

Their is just not a really great quality spinner at the moment. We where spoilt with Murali and Warne (who brought back the art of decent leg spin). These things just go in cycles.

StephenZA

Hall of Fame Member
Was my understanding that leg spin was considered a dying art until Warne came along and revitalized it? Then who else was there?

Sorry I show my ignorance on spin... I`m from SA I barely know what a spinner looks like.

Last edited:

OverratedSanity

Was my understanding that leg spin was considered a dying art until Warne came along and revitalized it? Then who else was there?

Sorry I show my ignorance on spin... I`m from SA I barely know what a spinner looks like.
Yeah the 'Leg spin was a dying art before Warne' thing is a myth perpetuated by the English and aussie media. Qadir was going strong all the way through the 80s and Kumble (if you consider him a leg spinner) also broke through in the early 90s. Fact is, quality leg spinners have always been relatively rare. Warne did nothing to revive or revitalize it. He was just very good at it.

Last edited: