• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket stuff that doesn't deserve its own thread

mr_mister

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
A YouTube channel named cricket fever has been uploading some awesome retro extended highlights recently

Uploaded the very exciting 7 match '99 Aus v WI ODI series recently(the one with the constant crowd interference)

Good watch

h_hurricane

International Vice-Captain
World cricket was at feverish pitch around that time. The unforgettable 4 test series between WI and Aus, another awesome series between India and Pakistan a few months back. Not to forget the 1999 WC. Great times cherished with much fondness...

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
A YouTube channel named cricket fever has been uploading some awesome retro extended highlights recently

Uploaded the very exciting 7 match '99 Aus v WI ODI series recently(the one with the constant crowd interference)

Good watch
Was that the one where Warne waited until someone from the crowd stole the stumps on the last ball then started running? FMD that was one of the funnier moments on a cricket field I've seen.

mr_mister

Was that the one where Warne waited until someone from the crowd stole the stumps on the last ball then started running? FMD that was one of the funnier moments on a cricket field I've seen.
Yeah. And also when Waugh had to recall Sherwin Campbell when he collided with Julian and got run out coz the crowd were going nuts, iirc

stephen

Wouldn't get into the debate on whether he is a chucker or not. Just thought that record is interesting btw.
Haha yeah. It doesn't really matter either way now. It's a pretty interesting stat. I would have thought Murali would have gone close at some point.

h_hurricane

Lohmann actually never went through a 10 test match streak averaging sub 10. He had a 15 test match streak averaging sub 10 as you said (of course more impressive than Lock).

It may seem weird though :laugh:

Lohmann played 18 tests, so there are 9 periods of 10 test streaks in his career.

Here is his average over all those 9 periods.

Similarly, he had 4 streaks of 15 test periods.

And he averaged as below in these streaks

Last edited:

AndrewB

Johnny Briggs I think has the best 10-match average (excluding players with <10 wickets in such a run).

Obviously the 15-28 against South Africa helped his average considerably, but even in the 10 Ashes Tests before the SA tour his average is below Lock's (he didn't bowl in the first 2 of these Tests - in fact in his 6 Tests before this run he only bowled 8 overs in total).

pardus

School Boy/Girl Captain
After reading below article about Sri Lankan batsmen against Jeff Thomson in 1975 World Cup match, I could't help but admire the courage of batsmen of yesteryear. They had no choice really.

Some of the cruelly-hilarious parts of the article were:

• Duleep Mendis was batting stylishly on 32 when Chappell threw Thommo - who once in a Shield game trapped Rick Darling lbw and the batsman had to be carried off on a stretcher - the ball for another spell.

• Then Sri Lankan captain Anura recalling the match - "I have this vivid image of what happened on Thommo's third ball of the over," Tennekoon remembered. "He hit Sunil flush on the instep and as he hopped about in pain Thomson tried to run him out."
    But Thommo saw things differently: "I had the ball in my hand and as the batsman hopped about, my team-mates were urging me to throw down the stumps and run him out. I threw down the stumps at the batsman's end with Sunil miles out of his ground. I appealed and no other bastard among my team-mates joined in on the appeal. They all stood about with their arms folded. I was done cold."

• Wettimuny will never forget that day. "Never before or since did I know fear on a cricket field. When I got to hospital I discovered I had sustained a hairline fracture of the rib, my right foot was broken, I had a dreadful bruise on my inner thigh, my hip bone was badly bruised and I was completely numb in my left leg. I thought I was paralysed. The numbness stayed with me for 12 hours. Later on I remember Sri Lankan players telling me of the great pace of Imran Khan. Sure Imran was a speed merchant, but compared to Thommo, Imran came at you at a gentle medium pace."
http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/story/826971.html

Last edited: