• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Statistics Quiz

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Correct.
:thumbup: :thumbup:
This match There is one no ball in Middlesex's first innings. Wonder who bowled it?
And I wonder if hes related to Brett Lee somehow? :p

Sorry thats not it.
Ah ok...Cricketarchive states that the match between Cambridge Universities and MCC was the first first class match in 1850 and there were leg byes recorded during the game. Will have another look though.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
1. Which is the first match in which a 'hit wicket' dismissal is known to have occurred ?
England vs Hampshire in 1773?

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
My answer to question three (Which is the first tied match on record ?) may or may not be correct depending on whether you go by the official result or what the result actually should have been.

Hampshire vs Kent in 1783?

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/0/67.html
"According to S&B: 'Kent actually won the match. It was discovered afterwards that Pratt, the scorer, whose method (which was the usual one at that time) was to cut a notch on a stick for every run, and to cut every tenth notch longer, in order to count the whole more expeditiously, had, by mistake, marked in one place the eleventh notch instead of the tenth. The stick was afterwards produced; but the other scorer could not or would not produce his.'"

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
1. Which is the first match in which a 'hit wicket' dismissal is known to have occurred ?
England vs Hampshire in 1773?
Very well done :thumbup: :thumbup:

J Minchin was hit wicket in Englands first innings by some unknown Hambledon bowler (It was really the Hambledon Club but they played often as Hampshire) in this match

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
My answer to question three (Which is the first tied match on record ?) may or may not be correct depending on whether you go by the official result or what the result actually should have been.

Hampshire vs Kent in 1783?

http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/0/67.html
"According to S&B: 'Kent actually won the match. It was discovered afterwards that Pratt, the scorer, whose method (which was the usual one at that time) was to cut a notch on a stick for every run, and to cut every tenth notch longer, in order to count the whole more expeditiously, had, by mistake, marked in one place the eleventh notch instead of the tenth. The stick was afterwards produced; but the other scorer could not or would not produce his.'"
Correct again
:clapping: :clapping:

Despite the controversy, posterity has treated this match as a tie so we will stick to it.
Even in WG autobiography it is mentioned as a tie.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
5. Which is the first five day match on record?
England vs Hampshire in 1777?
There is a debate about this. The match you mention is stated by cricketarchives Crciketarchives as a five day match played over 22nd to 26th July 1777. However Asley Mote's The Glory days of Cricket (one of the finest books you can find on Hambledon) mentions this as a three day match.

The same book mentions a match played a few years before this 1777 match as being the first ever five day match. It must be understood that a five day match in those times did not mean a match was scheduled to be played over five days. Bad whether just forced the number of days on a match to be extended.

PS : By the way, cricket archives does not mention this second match as a fiveday match while Ashley Mote writing about the game specifically states,

"This match was badly affected by rain and this is the first recorded occasion when a great match took five days to complete"

In this report he also lets out why these matches had to be finished " Greater sums depending than ever before"

Last edited:

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
2. Which was the first known match to be played with three stumps ?
I'll take a guess and say this match:
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Scorecards/0/23.html

Given that the previous match (Kent vs Hampshire) "'Lumpy' Stevens bowled three balls straight through John Small's wicket without disturbing the bail" (when there were only two stumps).
Lumpy's 'bad-luck' did lead to the law being changed but England doesn't move that fast :)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Haha...as I say, was just an optimistic guess. ;)

I will have to have a look using another source than cricketarchive to find the answer to question five as there doesn't seem to be a lot of additional notes for the earlier matches.

Still, 4/10 isn't too bad. ;)

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Haha...as I say, was just an optimistic guess. ;)

I will have to have a look using another source than cricketarchive to find the answer to question five as there doesn't seem to be a lot of additional notes for the earlier matches.

Still, 4/10 isn't too bad. ;)
Its brilliant !!

I dont know of any source (bar one) where you can find all the answers in one place and will be surprised if any such source exists.

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
I doubt there would be one - perhaps the forces of CW will combine to be the first. :p

A book called The Wisden Dictionary of Cricket (3rd ed) by Michael Rundell helped me get the first few questions and then I just had to search the relevant year on cricketarchive to find the scorecard to get the right game.

I'll have a go at the remaining few questions over the next few days though I don't want to answer all the questions and deny everyone else the chance to do so. :p

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thats long enough to give up on any more answers. So here they are.

- Correctly answered by Somerset - J Minchin was hit wicket in Englands first innings by some unknown Hambledon bowler (It was really the Hambledon Club but they played often as Hampshire) in this match
  2. Which was the first known match to be played with three stumps ?
    - Hambledon versus England June 18th 1777
  3. Which is the first tied match on record ?
    - Correctly answered by Somerset - Hampshire vs Kent in 1783? this match
  4. Which is the first five day match on record?
    - Surrey vs Hambledon 16th September 1773 - lasted five days due to bad weather.

Several matches lasted five days due to bad weather subsequently too the most bizzare of which started on August 29th 1788 between

SIX of Kent versus SIX of Hambledon !!!
    The scorecard of the match is even more bizzare. Its worthwhile to repeat it.

Hambledon :
    • 1st Innings - 25
    • 2nd innings - 17

Kent :
    • 1st innings - 4
    • 2nd innings - 32
    How a match in which a grand total of 78 runs were scored in four completed innings (albeit of six players per side) lasted for 5 days is beyond modern comprehension. Even if the weather interrupted play, it is difficult to imagine a more boring spectacle when the players were off the field. The stake is unknown, but it must have been immense to have created such a tedious match.
  5. When was saw dust first used in a cricket match? - Exact date and match is not known but the legendary Lord Beuclerk used saw dust for the first time in a match in 1806.
  6. Which is the first match in which the stumps of the current standard size were used?
    - In June 1817, England took on the B's of England (players with family names starting with 'B', in this match at Lord's. The 'B's, who included the great Beldham and Lord Beuclerk actually won by a massive 114 run margin ! The size of stumps used in this match has remained unchanged till today.
  7. Which is the first match in which wides were first recorded into extras?
    - Correctly answered by Somerset - Kent v Sussex in 1827
  8. Which is the first match in which no balls were scored as extras ?
    - Correctly answered by Somerset - MCC versus Middlesex . This match There is one no ball in Middlesex's first innings
  9. Which was the first match in which wides were counted ? (in the sense that they had to be bowled again)
    - Gentlemen of Kent vesus Gentlemen of England 17th June 1844 at Lord's
  10. First match in which leg byes were recorded?
    - England XI versus XXII of Edinburgh May 6th 1850

Last edited:

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Doubt I'd have got any more, four will do lol.

However, for question 6 the year is 1917 but I thought you said that all 10 events happened before the first test match?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Doubt I'd have got any more, four will do lol.

However, for question 6 the year is 1917 but I thought you said that all 10 events happened before the first test match?
Sorry. Typing error. It should read 1817. Corrected

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here is another I will post them one by one.

1. Who was the 1000th player to play in test matches.
a) Peter Burge
b) Ken Barrington
c) Bapu Nadkarni
d) GR Sunderam
e) None of the above​
2. Who was the 1000th player to play in a one day international.
a) Aldesh Vadher
b) Ravindu Shah
c) Dirk Viljoen
d) Hemant Kanitkar
e) None of the above​
3. What is the batting average of all the test batsmen put together - till date
a) Below 29,
b) 29.01 to 30
c) 30.01 to 31
d) 31.01 to 32
e) Above 32​
4. What is the bowling average of all the test bowlers put together - till date
a) Below 29,
b) 29.01 to 30
c) 30.01 to 31
d) 31.01 to 32
e) Above 32​

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
only one general knowledge reply to questions numbered 3 and 4...average of all batsmans put together will be less than average of all bowlers put together...this comes from simple mathematics though :)

Goughy

Hall of Fame Member
I just saw this and found it interesting.

Which bowler, with min 50+ career First Class wickets, has the highest (worst) bowling average in history?