• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Statistics Quiz

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
sjs : 5.3
clapo : 0 (I liked some of your guesses; hope you do better in the next quiz which won't be easy by mere searching.)

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Here goes the right answers -
1. Jim Laker
2. Dale Steyn (I've given marks to Mark Boucher also, though that wasn't intended :) )
3. Chris Harris
4. Phil Simmons
5. Subroto Banerjee
6. 3; Boycott, Cowdrey, Hammond
7. Walsh, Goddard
8. G. Kirsten
9. A. Jadeja (Well, mistake on my part, I. Haq is also correct; this kind of mistake won't be there in quiz 2 I promise)
10. Jaywardene of course.

Marks will be posted soon. 2nd quiz will be better in the sense that getting answers by mere searching will be difficult I promise.
Got Steyn wrong, was caught out there.

However Kirsten took two wickets at 71 not 174.5. :S His strike rate was 174.5 which is why I couldn't answer that question.

Good effort for the ones that did it without looking up the answers, given he said "Searching and looking at others' answers are allowed" I thought I may as well take the time to look them up. :p

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
However Kirsten took two wickets at 71 not 174.5. :S His strike rate was 174.5 which is why I couldn't answer that question.
Hmmm...Bad mistake by me...so it was a quiz out of 9, not 10....Hope next time I don't make such mistakes and make it more interesting.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Here goes the right answers -
1. Jim Laker
2. Dale Steyn (I've given marks to Mark Boucher also, though that wasn't intended :) )
3. Chris Harris
4. Phil Simmons
5. Subroto Banerjee
6. 3; Boycott, Cowdrey, Hammond
7. Walsh, Goddard
8. G. Kirsten
9. A. Jadeja (Well, mistake on my part, I. Haq is also correct; this kind of mistake won't be there in quiz 2 I promise)
10. Jaywardene of course.

Marks will be posted soon. 2nd quiz will be better in the sense that getting answers by mere searching will be difficult I promise.
I got all of them correct, including the one that there was no answer for 8 !!

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I got all of them correct, including the one that there was no answer for 8 !!
almost all...not all though...for example you didn't understand q. no. 6...according to the points system, whoever posts correct answers first gets an advantage...probably there you came behind somerset.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Okay here goes. This is a Cricket History question. I dont expect people to get the answers without actively searching for them so please go ahead and google to your hearts content.

1. Which is the first match in which a 'hit wicket' dismissal is known to have occurred ?
  2. Which was the first known match to be played with three stumps ?
  3. Which is the first tied match on record ?
  4. Which is the first five day match on record?
  5. When was saw dust first used in a cricket match?
  6. Which is the first match in which the stumps of the current standard size were used?
  7. Which is the first match in which wides were first recorded into extras?
  8. Which is the first match in which no balls were scored as extras ?
  9. Which was the first match in which wides were counted ? (in the sense that they had to be bowled again)
  10. First match in which leg byes were recorded?

Hint : All these are before the first test match was played in 1877.

Last edited:

stumpski

International Captain
Or 1877, even. :p These are very, very hard ... I thought I might get two or three without looking them up, but no chance. I wouldn't even know where to start looking on the web. And Wisden's 'Dates in Cricket History' section is no use either. :@ Will persevere though.

stumpski

International Captain
OK, I think I've got nos. 7 and 8 ... if Keith Booth is correct in his book Knowing the Score, wides were first recorded in 1827 and no-balls two years later.

I thought the date of the famous match when three balls went straight through, after which the third stump was added, would be easy to find, but not so far.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Or 1877, even. :p These are very, very hard ... I thought I might get two or three without looking them up, but no chance. I wouldn't even know where to start looking on the web. And Wisden's 'Dates in Cricket History' section is no use either. :@ Will persevere though.
:oops:

stumpski

International Captain
No. 10 - leg-byes, 1848 (same source).

This five day match is puzzling to say the least, I'd never have guessed that matches of that length were played before the first Test.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
OK, I think I've got nos. 7 and 8 ... if Keith Booth is correct in his book Knowing the Score, wides were first recorded in 1827 and no-balls two years later.

I thought the date of the famous match when three balls went straight through, after which the third stump was added, would be easy to find, but not so far.
Okay wides were first recorded in 1927 is correct as far as year is concerned - but the question was 'which match?"

Two years later (or 1929) is not correct even for the year in which no balls were first scored. Its close though. Want to try for that again?

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
No. 10 - leg-byes, 1848 (same source).

This five day match is puzzling to say the least, I'd never have guessed that matches of that length were played before the first Test.
Leg byes were first recorded later than 1848. :)

I was also stunned when I read of this five day match. You will be further stunned when you know exactly when it was played !

Somerset

Cricketer Of The Year
Had a go at a few of the questions, any correct? :p

Kent v Sussex in 1827

A match in 1830 (but the law was introduced in 1829)

A match in 1850

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Had a go at a few of the questions, any correct? :p

Kent v Sussex in 1827

A match in 1830 (but the law was introduced in 1829)

A match in 1850
7. is the complete answer. Well done :thumbup:

8 and 10 are both correct as far as years are concerned. Want to try for the matches ?