• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket draft 1945 -1977

Who will win the 2013 Ashes

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

watson

Banned
ROUND 5
- LongHopCassidy- Lance Gibbs
- kingkallis- Arthur Morris
- Blakus- Allan Border
- AndyZaltzHair- Kapil Dev
- watson- Derek Underwood
- fredfertang- Tony Greig
- bagapath- Bill Lawry
- jimmy101- Basil D'Olivera
- Himmanv- Dudley Nourse
- Monk/Coronis
- Howe_zat
- Pathos

Coronis to pick next

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
This is going reasonably well despite my poor position in the list and missing a few rounds.

03. Peter May
04. Dudley Nourse
05. Dennis Compton
07. Imran Khan*
11. Frank Tyson

bagapath

International Captain
Dudley didn't play enough post war I would say. Wanted to pick him but didn't. Thread starter to decide :)

watson

Banned
Also, a few rules. Firstly, selected players must have made their DEBUT during this era, however, to allow some of the pre-WWII titans into the fold I will accept pre-WWII players who played 75% of their overall matches during this era. This means that players such as Len Hutton, Lindsay Hassett, Cyril Washbrook, Dudley Nourse and Denis Compton will be allowed whereas players such as Don Bradman, Wally Hammond and George Headley cannot be selected.
From what I can gather Jimmy will allow players who played 75% of their matches/Tests prior to WWII, and therefore 25% of their matches after WWII.

Consequently, Nourse qualifies quite easily since he played more than half his Test matches after WWII;

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo

Last edited:

Howe_zat

Audio File
From what I can gather Jimmy will allow players who played 75% of their matches/Tests prior to WWII, and therefore 25% of their matches after WWII.

Consequently, Nourse qualifies quite easily since he played more than half his Test matches after WWII;

All-round records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPN Cricinfo
The OP says "75% or more of their matches in this era", by which he must mean 1945-77, that being the period we're supposed to be talking about. After all, it's designed to include Len Hutton as he says. If Nourse didn't play 75% or more of his matches post-war, he's technically ineligible.

I don't mind much but if we do want to hold up the rules as long as we can it'd probably be fairer if Himannv picks again. I'll wait for him.

watson

Banned
Also, a few rules. Firstly, selected players must have made their DEBUT during this era, however, to allow some of the pre-WWII titans into the fold I will accept pre-WWII players who played 75% of their overall matches during this era. This means that players such as Len Hutton, Lindsay Hassett, Cyril Washbrook, Dudley Nourse and Denis Compton will be allowed whereas players such as Don Bradman, Wally Hammond and George Headley cannot be selected.
Jimmy has allowed Dudley Nourse in his 'rules' on page 1 (he also posted after Himannv picked Nourse and didn't complain), presumerably because the 75% applies to pre-WWII. At least that's how I read it. The statement is rather ambiguous, although Howe will be probably be correct in hindsight.

Jimmy?

Last edited:

Himannv

International Coach
Feel a bit hard done by since I went by Jimmy's post there. I did check his record and it looked as though he played more games after 1945 than before it. Just didn't bother to calculate the percentage though.

I'll take Ted Dexter instead.

bagapath

International Captain
Feel a bit hard done by since I went by Jimmy's post there. I did check his record and it looked as though he played more games after 1945 than before it. Just didn't bother to calculate the percentage though.

I'll take Ted Dexter instead.
I did calculate the percentage when I wanted to pick him but decided against it coz he didn't meet the criteria. Knew your pick was dodgy but didn't insist to avoid an unnecessary argument. Glad the right decision has been taken.

Am ****ed you took dexter though.

kingkallis

International Coach
I did calculate the percentage when I wanted to pick him but decided against it coz he didn't meet the criteria. Knew your pick was dodgy but didn't insist to avoid an unnecessary argument. Glad the right decision has been taken.

Yeah man Ted was my No.3 x-(

jimmy101

Cricketer Of The Year

Hey guys, sorry about the ambiguity surrounding Dudley Nourse, I would have accepted him for selection but it seems that if we take all of His First class cricket into consideration he may very well have played less than 75% (my estimate is that he played about 65 - 70% of his cricket after the war). It is a close call, I intially thought he would have been a shoe-in for this era ('45 - '77) and didn't check his stats but so I apologise for this oversight. The whole 75% thing was used to try and draw a line between the era before the war and this era that would allow players who were at their most prominent during the forties and fifties to be selected, even though the may have debuted pre-war.

watson

Banned
Happy that we're rolling again!

Must admit that I like not having the modern players as we're getting more interesting selections. Basil D'Olivera, Vincent van der Bijl, and Bill Johnston are all unusual but great picks none-the-less;

ROUND 5
- LongHopCassidy- Lance Gibbs
- kingkallis- Arthur Morris
- Blakus- Allan Border
- AndyZaltzHair- Kapil Dev
- watson- Derek Underwood
- fredfertang- Tony Greig
- bagapath- Bill Lawry
- jimmy101- Basil D'Olivera
- Himmanv- Ted Dexter
- Monk/Coronis - Vintcent van der Bijl
- Howe_zat- Bill Johnston