• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Books

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't he stay up all night drinking port or something before his final game at Lords?

Matt79

Global Moderator
He liked port. But apparently he also liked port and ginger ale mixed together (IIRC) as a hair of the dog in the morning, and if he had that he was right as rain to play, regardless of how sore he was when he woke up.

Speersy

U19 Cricketer
I think through most of his career tbh. That's certainly covered in some detail in the Harris book. Essentially his argument was that he played better after being out on the turps til 3am, because he didn't have to rock up til 10:50-ish and if he turned in at 8-9pm, he was too keyed up about the game the next day and tossed and turned all night playing and replaying the upcoming game in his head, and ended up shattered the next day. He also pointed out that he did it through most of his career and it never seemed to harm his performance.
and he always wanted to play better so that people didn't use his late nights as an excuse.

I read his autobiography, weird at the end how he honestly wishes he was a golfer as nobody criticizes them when they perform poorly

pasag

RTDAS
Finally finished Bodyline Autopsy, such a quality account of the series, I can't imagine anything topping it for sheer detail and unbias. WG Grace by Simon Rae is next on my list and at just under 500 pages, will be looking to finish it by sometime in 09 :p

archie mac

International Coach
Finally finished Bodyline Autopsy, such a quality account of the series, I can't imagine anything topping it for sheer detail and unbias. WG Grace by Simon Rae is next on my list and at just under 500 pages, will be looking to finish it by sometime in 09 :p
The best bodyline book for mine, and I have read close to a dozen other books on the subject, plus I have read bios on at least half of the players involved in the series:)

pasag

RTDAS
The best bodyline book for mine, and I have read close to a dozen other books on the subject, plus I have read bios on at least half of the players involved in the series:)
Would love to get my hands on Larwood's and Jardine's books on the subject. Any idea of any places in Melbourne to have a look?

stumpski

International Captain
Would love to get my hands on Larwood's and Jardine's books on the subject. Any idea of any places in Melbourne to have a look?

I read Jardine's book In Quest of the Ashes many years ago, and my recollection is that it was quite dull, in fact I'm not sure if I even finished it. But now I've read Bodyline Autopsy I suppose I ought to dig it out again. I think he skirts over the whole bodyline business though.

archie mac

International Coach
I read Jardine's book In Quest of the Ashes many years ago, and my recollection is that it was quite dull, in fact I'm not sure if I even finished it. But now I've read Bodyline Autopsy I suppose I ought to dig it out again. I think he skirts over the whole bodyline business though.
Yes the Jardine one will put you to sleep:ph34r:

Matt79

Global Moderator
I'm fifty pages into Rae's WG Grace, and I'm struggling a little. That might be due to baby-related sleep rationing (3-4 hours a night), I am enjoying it - I just can't read more than 3 pages at a time without my concentration wandering.

I'm two-timing Rae with Mallet's Trumper, which I got ages ago but only now got around to reading. Finding that more lively and engaging and... accessible in my current state. That said, its got some great howlers in terms of writing in there. Things like three sentences in a row all describing exactly the same thing in almost identical terms.

archie mac

International Coach
I'm fifty pages into Rae's WG Grace, and I'm struggling a little. That might be due to baby-related sleep rationing (3-4 hours a night), I am enjoying it - I just can't read more than 3 pages at a time without my concentration wandering.

I'm two-timing Rae with Mallet's Trumper, which I got ages ago but only now got around to reading. Finding that more lively and engaging and... accessible in my current state. That said, its got some great howlers in terms of writing in there. Things like three sentences in a row all describing exactly the same thing in almost identical terms.
Mallett's best book by a fair distance, I read that circa 1985 and have read it three times over the years:)

archie mac

International Coach
Roger Page is in Melbourne (you can find him in the phone book), nothing but cricket books, he will find you a copy pretty quickly:)

Matt79

Global Moderator
None of these guys are anywhere remotely IN town unfortunately. Still, i suppose that's where a phone is good! ;)