• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cricket Australia Contracts

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yes, he's been a failure at international level. On all but two occassions since the WI tour, he's actually been woeful...which is why I maintain that he's lucky to receive a contract. He's not really earnt it.

Another problem is his age. He is not in his mid-20's; he's in his 30's, so he has less time to come around.
Haa, only due to the competitveness of Australia is D Hussey facing so much harsh criticism. A bit OTT TBH...

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Nah, he's had plenty of chances in the limited overs side and has almost always been a rank failure.
As i said, only because he's Australian he is getting this stick. England would love to have him ATM.

The stick he is getting reminds of what Slater, Blewett, Hayden pre WC 07 got. He just has cashed in fully, he hasn't had a settled role as well, but no means has his career ODI career been a failure thus far. He has shown glimpses, but yes given the competition & the return of the big dogs, he needs step it up to remain a regular back-up player.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As i said, only because he's Australian he is getting this stick. England would love to have him ATM.
Sorry, don't buy it. D Hussey has been a board favourite for ages, on par with the sweaty man-love for Watto (:wub:). It's only been when he's not capitalised on his chances that the tide has turned.

He's a top player. I really don't have any answers for why he isn't doing brilliantly other than the selectors perhaps picking him after his form started to drop off.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend

The stick he is getting reminds of what Slater, Blewett, Hayden pre WC 07 got. He just has cashed in fully, he hasn't had a settled role as well, but no means has his career ODI career been a failure thus far. He has shown glimpses, but yes given the competition & the return of the big dogs, he needs step it up to remain a regular back-up player.
Didn't realise Slater and Blewett were up for a spot in the WC07 team :ph34r:

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Sorry, don't buy it. D Hussey has been a board favourite for ages, on par with the sweaty man-love for Watto (:wub:). It's only been when he's not capitalised on his chances that the tide has turned.
Haa, i never really saw him as a selectors favourite TBH. If he was he may have been selected for the 2005 Ashes instead of Hodge.

Watson & Symonds, Johnson this decade have always had serious push & backing.

He's a top player. I really don't have any answers for why he isn't doing brilliantly other than the selectors perhaps picking him after his form started to drop off.
As i said, maybe its the fact that he hasn't had a settled batting role in the team. The last summer vs NZ & SA was the worst home ODI season since NZ/SA where down under in 01/02, with all the injury woes damaging the fluency & consistently of performances.

So he comes in & bats @ 4, 6 etc & glimpses of what he can do is consistently shown, while also not fully cashing in, but he has never looked woeful.

Plus Ferguson's suprising (but refreshing emergence) hasn't helped his cause. Thats why i say he is fastly becoming a victim of the strength in depth in the Aussie ranks & he no doubt needs to step up. But in another country he would never be under this much scrutiny.

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Didn't realise Slater and Blewett were up for a spot in the WC07 team :ph34r:
Ha, no B. I mean how Slater & Blewett in the 90s as we both know quality attacking players, due to not so prolifc starts, with pressure from other blokes like Lehmann, Martyn etc who took their chances ahead of them. They where sort of labelled as ODI failures, not ODI quality etc.

Sort of what D Hussey is facing right now..

Top_Cat

Haa, i never really saw him as a selectors favourite TBH. If he was he may have been selected for the 2005 Ashes instead of Hodge.

Watson & Symonds, Johnson this decade have always had serious push & backing.
No, this board. CW. haha

As i said, maybe its the fact that he hasn't had a settled batting role in the team. The last summer vs NZ & SA was the worst home ODI season since NZ/SA where down under in 01/02, with all the injury woes damaging the fluency & consistently of performances.

So he comes in & bats @ 4, 6 etc & glimpses of what he can do is consistently shown, while also not fully cashing in, but he has never looked woeful.

Plus Ferguson's suprising (but refreshing emergence) hasn't helped his cause. Thats why i say he is fastly becoming a victim of the strength in depth in the Aussie ranks & he no doubt needs to step up. But in another country he would never be under this much scrutiny.
Maybe but he's been given a more extended run than someone without Steve Waugh's endorsement would have done. Been waiting for him to come good for a little while now and, the occasional 50 aside, he's not looked up to it, going for the big swipe when it's not on probably his biggest problem. I guess, innings like the smashing 50 he banged in the WI gave people the wrong impression of him so being asked to replicate hitting like that regularly is asking too much. The bowling there was questionable too; Luke Ronchi scored a 30-ball 50 in that game, FFS.....

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Haa, only due to the competitveness of Australia is D Hussey facing so much harsh criticism. A bit OTT TBH...
No, he's facing criticism because he struggles to make above 30 in most of his innings and averaged 12 in South Africa. Add to that his feckless offbreaks (which I've never rated, anyway) and it's no wonder why he's being heavily criticised. Basically, he hasn't added much to the team since he's been there, aside from pretty good fielding.

With his kind of form, I doubt that even England would tolerate him for much longer than Australia did.

DaRick

State Vice-Captain
Ha, no B. I mean how Slater & Blewett in the 90s as we both know quality attacking players, due to not so prolifc starts, with pressure from other blokes like Lehmann, Martyn etc who took their chances ahead of them. They where sort of labelled as ODI failures, not ODI quality etc.

Sort of what D Hussey is facing right now..
Hmm...it is true that Slater and Blewett underperformed spectacularly at the ODI level. Blewett was obviously worse than Dave Hussey, while Slater was on-par. Slater's failures were more bizarre than anything else - for many years, he was obviously a very good Test opener.

I know that you mentioned Matt Hayden before, but whilst he wasn't nearly as effective in ODI's as he was in Tests up to the WC 2007, he was never as bad as Dave Hussey was. His problem was not scoring as many centuries as he should have, rather than not really scoring much at all.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Hmm...it is true that Slater and Blewett underperformed spectacularly at the ODI level. Blewett was obviously worse than Dave Hussey, while Slater was on-par. Slater's failures were more bizarre than anything else - for many years, he was obviously a very good Test opener.

I know that you mentioned Matt Hayden before, but whilst he wasn't nearly as effective in ODI's as he was in Tests up to the WC 2007, he was never as bad as Dave Hussey was. His problem was not scoring as many centuries as he should have, rather than not really scoring much at all.
Slater's failures as a ODI opener truly was a mystery. Seemed to have the perfect game for a one-day cricket, true aggressive batsmen. As a test cricket he showed he had the shots to be a success as a one-day batsman, his off-drives on the up, the pull-shot he played over the in-field, ability to charge the pace bowlers.

Slater in the end only had his own temperament to blame. Was given a fairly consistent run for over four years in the one-day team. He simply struggled with the impact of a ring-field set-up. In test cricket it was always easy to play through the air, typically at the start of an innings. In ODI, these gaps where filled up, Slater always looked more and more nervous the longer he was held on strike. Never helped that Slater spent the majority of his ODI opening career batting with another slow striker in Mary Taylor.

His problems with the format where never limited to Australian ODI games. Slater holds an appalling ODD record for NSW, I believe he averaged in the low 20's. He was one of the stranger cricketing stories of the 90's for Australia.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Think Slats has pretty much admitted that it was his temperment that prevented him from being a success in ODIs - was if anything too keen to be aggressive and try and score quickly and never got enough games in a row to settle down and find his rhythm in the Aussie ODI set up.

Although you'd think that shouldn't have stopped him succeeding for the NSW ODD team.

Top_Cat

Don't think it's that much a mystery why Slats didn't do that well in ODI's, myself. Aside from temperment, his game was geared to hitting the ball along the carpet and through the field for 4. Technically, in the early days, he was textbook but he just wasn't programmed if you will, to changing his batting position to turn a textbook forward defence into a nurdle around the corner, for example. He'd keep trying to hit the ball through the field in the early overs waiting for the right ball to smash, get bogged down, the field would crowd him then he'd get out trying to hit out.

Guys like Rick Ponting show it's not just about waiting for the right ball in your scoring area, you have to still find a way to score when the ball's not in your pet shot. Sweating on the loose one didn't really work for Slats because in ODI's, the bowlers aren't trying to get you out so J Random Bowler can sit back of a length for 10 overs, not take a wicket and they've done their job. Before you know it, it's the half-way point and you're scoring at 3 rpo and you have to hit out which is made more difficult by the field being back. Notice Matt Hayden had similar troubles until he developed some decent nurdles and cow corner shots.

Interestingly, he had a run of solid scores for Aus in ODI's towards the end as a lower-order nurdler/hard-runner. The field was back outside the 30 by the time he came in so he could avoid the 'crowding' effect and scored pretty well without being a bit boundary hitter.

Last edited:

DingDong

State Captain
Exactly what does warner have to do break into the test team? The man's been setting the IPL on fire and the stupid Aus selectors can't pick him in the squad. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were him.

Smith

Banned
Exactly what does warner have to do break into the test team? The man's been setting the IPL on fire and the stupid Aus selectors can't pick him in the squad. I'd be pretty disappointed if I were him.
He cannot even get into NSW FC squad.

Jakester1288

International Regular
Injury-prone Tait gets drink-prone Symonds contract spot | Herald Sun

Huge news. Not for Symonds, was obvious his contract was gone; but for Tait great news to reclaim his contract.

Still remains close to Australian selection. A couple of decent performances would spring Tait straight back into the ODI and T20 lineups.
IMO, he should be in our Twenty20 team, and possibly out ODI team. Tait bowls 7 overs for 70, then comes back, bowls his next 3 and takes 4-10. Unpredictable, but on his day, is the fastest (with Akhtar out) and most lethal (although not perhaps in wicket taking) bowler in the world.

He cannot even get into NSW FC squad.
Last I hard, he is in the NSW squad. He was selected for the last game of their season, which in one innings he made a run a ball 40, but I'm not sure about the other innings, if of course he actually batted.