• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Could an American team made up of minor league baseballers become T20 world beaters?

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
hey could a group of rugby players make good cricketers

i mean as they are powerful and run in short bursts of high momentum they would be ideal for making threes out of twos, and they have strong bodies for big hits.
The Springboks are actually good

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
This thread reminds me of the time Jono tried to argue that top cricketers would be the world's best lacrosse players

Shady Slim

International Coach
The Springboks are actually good
slightly relevant there was once an idea i had for a sort of sports world cup where each nation nominates a sporting team and they play other sporting teams at various sports

it is a terrible idea but imagine the english cricket team trying to play the all blacks at netball

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
The best thing about this thread is the absolute joke of an administration that runs cricket in the U.S

The sooner the ICC gives up on the idea of cricket being a mainstream sport in the U.S the better. Its utterly hopeless regardless of any numbers indicating a rise in participant numbers

Sorry probably too serious a post for this thread.

Last edited:

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
slightly relevant there was once an idea i had for a sort of sports world cup where each nation nominates a sporting team and they play other sporting teams at various sports

it is a terrible idea but imagine the english cricket team trying to play the all blacks at netball
We pick Ellyse Perry.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think a better question will be if the best baseball team in the world can beat CW XI in a game of cricket.

Hint: I can bowl decent legspinners without bowling more than a wide in 3 overs or so.

Dan

Hall of Fame Member
I think a better question will be if the best baseball team in the world can beat CW XI in a game of cricket.

Hint: I can bowl decent legspinners without bowling more than a wide in 3 overs or so.
CW XI is pretty strong. Neesham, Sinclair, Crowe, McCleneneneneneghan, Davis (Te Ahu, not Heef), Davis (Heef, not Te Ahu), McGlashlan, Gale etc.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
<srsreply>

No. People radically under-estimate the differences in batting technique between baseball and cricket. Sure, some minor leaguers could maybe scare a grade team but at the top level, can't see it.

</srsreply>

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
<srsreply>

No. People radically under-estimate the differences in batting technique between baseball and cricket. Sure, some minor leaguers could maybe scare a grade team but at the top level, can't see it.

</srsreply>
Exactly. It's underestimated by people outside cricket just how innate batting technique really is in cricket. A lot of subtleties that people who haven't grown up with the game find it hard to grasp. Baseball batting is a far more straight forward skill, as far as technique is concerned.

cnerd123

likes this
I reckon a team of the best cricketers in the world could fare a lot better at baseball than a team of the worlds best baseballers would fare at cricket.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
I bat at 6 and bowl first change *. Good with the older ball and a good death bowler in one dayers *.

Also a pretty decent keeper if needed *.

* all my own opinions and applicable to local 3rd grade cricket.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I reckon a team of the best cricketers in the world could fare a lot better at baseball than a team of the worlds best baseballers would fare at cricket.
Yes, IMO.

Spinners are useless in baseball - advantage baseball.

Batsmen can play horizontal bat shots to beamers, while playing with the straight bat is an entirely new skill to be learnt by baseball batters - advantage cricket.

No slips in baseball. Batsmen would not need to worry about nicking one - advantage cricket.

Batters would need to curb their natural instinct to have airy fairy wafts at the ball and run without a second thought. Batsmen can treat baseball as the slog overs of an ODI - advantage cricket.

Baseball batters would need to learn what the ball does off the pitch. Even international batsmen can be all at sea against the moving ball. Batters have no chance - advantage cricket.

Bowlers can chuck. Pitchers would probably have to watch Malinga to learn to bowl properly - advantage cricket.

Last edited:

Victor Ian

International Coach
That Sports Science video was hardly compelling (not that I think the poster believed it). It is not about how many balls you hit but how many runs you make. Watching that baseball player, too many shots would be skied and caught. You'd stack your field forward of center for them as they would have no idea how to play square or behind the wicket. I'd imagine the best baseball players might score 10 if they were lucky. I'd wonder how many clean bowled's you'd get as they instinctively don't play the straight ball going below their knees.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Kidding yourselves if you reckon a bunch of cricketers could do well at baseball.

Cricketers have such inflated opinions when it comes to this yet noone's ever made the cross-over despite plenty of blokes playing both sports at junior levels. Batting in baseball does not equal slogging, pitching does not equal throwing.

Last edited:

GGG

State Captain
Exactly, everyone in the team could pitch for a start, how long would it take for a baseball to not look like a ****** trying to bowl let alone generate some pace with accuracy? No chance for any spinners, well landing it on the spot at least.