• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Cook vs Warne

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I'd probably retire from cricket to make sure I wasn't in a Warne-Piers Morgan sandwich, with KP watching on.

BeeGee

International Captain
Could not believe Cook had a wahhh about criticism he received. Was unbecoming.
I'm sure that was just a reaction to the enormous pressure he is under, but that's no excuse.

I can't stand Warne, but he's dead right on this occasion. Cook needs to give up the captaincy so he can concentrate on his batting. Cook's batting is a huge asset to the England team, his captaincy isn't. Let Bell captain until a long term solution can be devised.

Biryani Pillow

U19 Vice-Captain
It is so much easier to captain a side from the commentary box.

And Warne is sounding more and more like an arse on this and other matters.

It's getting to a stage where I mute the commentary when he is on.

YorksLanka

International Debutant
Warne needs to shut it and return to Gregg's the bakers..all captains make mistakes and go through lean patches..very easy to criticise when you haven't done it yourself...

91Jmay

International Coach
Warne is obviously a massive **** but Cook has made no improvement to his captaincy since taking over. He basically goes out with the pre-determined game plan and when it doesn't work they have nothing However Anderson/Broad and Swann also take a lot of criticism for the field placings. They are so negative and defensive it makes Cook look ****e.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah look, it was incredibly stupid of Cook to publicly say what he said about Warnes negative comments.......it's a sure sign to me that he is cracking in a big way.

But Warne is such a ****. Now he knows it's bothering Cook he's not going to let it go.....like a dog with a bone he is just gonna keep gnawing away at him. Warnes latest column in the Telegraph is just a massive troll and not a very clever/classy one at that. It's not that long ago when the Aussies weren't doing so well that Warne was mouthing off about them every second day........and it is damaging IMO. I honestly think Warne has done more to damage Australian cricket than he has helped it since retirement, and now it looks like he is intent on doing the same to England.

My theory is that for too long too many people have been telling him what a great cricket brain he has and how he is the greatest captain Australia never had, it's bollocks........I mean what's it based on?? Certainly not track record......unless getting paid a **** load of money to captain some franchise in hit and giggle is a measure of how he would have captained an International test side. So now he thinks he's some kind of ****ing Messiah who every one should listen too if they want to be successful and fix their flaws.

Well **** off Warne, we know we've got our problems, big ones........but we'll fix them ourselves without you, just as we have for the last couple of hundred years.

sledger

Spanish_Vicente
Is it just me, or does Cook strike anyone else as being...er...not particularly intelligent.

I have always quite liked Cook, but captaincy aside, whenever I see him interviewed he often comes across as being... a bit dim.

Adders

Cricketer Of The Year
Yeah dunno. He's certainly not good in interviews but whether that is a lack of smarts or just not comfortable public speaking in those situations it's hard to tell. But he's never really come across well I agree.......but I think Bell is exactly the same which is why I have strong reservations about him getting given the gig. When you look back at past recent England captains (possibly with the exception of Freddy and KP) they have all come across really well in interviews and the media for the most part.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Is it just me, or does Cook strike anyone else as being...er...not particularly intelligent.

I have always quite liked Cook, but captaincy aside, whenever I see him interviewed he often comes across as being... a bit dim.
Hmm, just comes across more like a guy who's frightened of saying something wrong.

Gnske

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's right about Cook, he was right the first time he said it, the only problem is he can't stop repeating it.

This is getting more tedious than him telling the Sherminator story on comms every stint during the last Ashes.

BackFootPunch

International 12th Man

I don't think he's dumb - he seems more mechanical than dim.

I get the impression that he's a very rational and logical guy, someone who thinks things through to the utmost. Which is probably to the detriment of qualities like spontaneity and intuition.

His captaincy is a bit like his batting, imo. He'll never be accused of being a beautiful batsman, but when he's in form he's ruthlessly effective and just gets on with the job. Same with being skipper. When it's going well he won't be noticed, things will just fall into place and will be down to good plans and processes. When it's going bad it looks ****ing awful.

He's used to being in control of his batting game, where he can make adjustments on the fly (he's struggling with this at the moment though), but he's not worked out how to do that as a captain yet. I do think it'll come with time and he'll end up being a reasonable captain but you can't teach him to be proactive. Reacting to different situations in a (overly)rational manner is what he does best, you can't teach a guy like him to take the risks needed to be brilliant.

Red

The normal awards that everyone else has
My theory is that for too long too many people have been telling him what a great cricket brain he has and how he is the greatest captain Australia never had, it's bollocks........I mean what's it based on?? Certainly not track record......unless getting paid a **** load of money to captain some franchise in hit and giggle is a measure of how he would have captained an International test side. So now he thinks he's some kind of ****ing Messiah who every one should listen too if they want to be successful and fix their flaws.
So true. I loved Warne the player (of cricket). Always thought he was ok as a guy too, but lately he seems to be getting worse. Egotistical and completely full of himself and his own opinion.