• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations Dan Vettori

Yeah I thought it was a great shame when he got injured a while back, it messed him up for a couple of years. He has also suffers from some very uncondusive pitches in NZ.

I saw him in V England in 99 & he looked quality. For the next few years he was probably the only conventional finger spinner who could take a lot of wickets regularly.

I believe he also has a good record against Australia. He's definately an under rated talent IMO.

Does anyone think Giles is better?

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I really think that Vettori is one of the smartest cricketers going around. In all honesty, he doesn't have the natural talent of some others, nor does he have the ability to put massive rotations on the ball or the supple wrists for the wicket variation that we see nowadays from those in the sub-continent.

But he manages to apply pressure simply through cricketing smarts - his subtle variations make it very hard for a batsman to get into any sort of rhythm against him, and he has that intangible sense of when the batsman is coming down the pitch, and adjusts accordingly. He truly shows that you can be an old-fashioned finger spinner and still (moderately) succeed in Test cricket these days, without the doosras and dustbowls.

I think natural talent is one of Vettori's main attributes actually.

I mean he started playing test cricket at about 10 years old, that has to count for something.

Last edited:

lord_of_darkness

Cricket Web XI Moderator
I really think that Vettori is one of the smartest cricketers going around. In all honesty, he doesn't have the natural talent of some others, nor does he have the ability to put massive rotations on the ball or the supple wrists for the wicket variation that we see nowadays from those in the sub-continent.

But he manages to apply pressure simply through cricketing smarts - his subtle variations make it very hard for a batsman to get into any sort of rhythm against him, and he has that intangible sense of when the batsman is coming down the pitch, and adjusts accordingly. He truly shows that you can be an old-fashioned finger spinner and still (moderately) succeed in Test cricket these days, without the doosras and dustbowls.
Yeah.. good stuff to Dan he has been a champ spin bowler for us over the years.. he isint the best in the world.. but he has done his job mighty fine as you have mentioned using his thinking very well indeed.. and the shizzhouse pitches in NZ dont help him improve either.. ive noticed a lot of young left armers coming through in Auckland that ive seen especially are sorta trying to imitate him.. using the variations in flight etc.. as there isint any turn on offer.. which is good to see imo :)

aussie

Hall of Fame Member
Yep good work, he's IMO one of the most underrated cricketers in the world. But now that his batting has really improved, he can certainy challenge Sir Richard Hadlee NZ record for the most test wickets.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Great effort Daniel Vettori, i do reakon hes one of the smartest cricketers around, not a big turner of the ball like Warne or Murali, but more subtle, definatley always looks dangerous when playing vs Australia. and his batting keeps on getting better too i heard his batting average for the last 3 years or something is close to 40 (not sure how true that is but he can certainly bat well these days)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
age_master said:
Great effort Daniel Vettori, i do reakon hes one of the smartest cricketers around, not a big turner of the ball like Warne or Murali, but more subtle, definatley always looks dangerous when playing vs Australia. and his batting keeps on getting better too i heard his batting average for the last 3 years or something is close to 40 (not sure how true that is but he can certainly bat well these days)

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
He's a gifted player if you ask me. He got thrown in at the deep end when NZ had no spinner or any decent bowlers and he's managed to come through that relatively unscathed, or at least he's never shown it.

He cops a lot of criticism at times but I think we're about to see the best of him if you ask me.

I think he is turning into a genuine allrounder, his batting even against australia looked very good.
By the end of his career, he will probably overtake Hadlee's 431 wickets and become NZ's leading wickettaker.

Natman20

International Debutant
bondshanebond said:
I think he is turning into a genuine allrounder, his batting even against australia looked very good.
By the end of his career, he will probably overtake Hadlee's 431 wickets and become NZ's leading wickettaker.
I already rate him as a good all rounder

shaka

International Regular
He's done well, next person to overtake is the great Chris Cairns who took 216 test wickets if I recall. So Vettori is close to moving into 2nd place. Awesome batting average over the last 3 years.