• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Congratulations Dan Vettori

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Retox said:
Lets hope he stays 100% fit so he can get 300+
300? I would think if he stays 100% fit he should go well past 400, even 500 wouldn't be of the question if you consider the following........

1) Despite he seems to have been around forever he is still only 26.

2) Apart his lean spell a year or so ago, it does now appear his bowling is only getting better and better

3) If he does stay 100 % fit given he's only 26 and the fact he's a spinner (they tend to play longer) theres no reason he can't play for another 10 years, or at least damn close to it.
On the theory that in 8 years he has played 62 tests so far, he should play at least that number again in 9-10 years. And therefore at least double his total of 400 wickets and all going well march towards the magical 500 mark.

I know there are a lot of ifs and buts with the above, but it certainly isn't out of the question. That is of course if he does stay 100% fit :dry:

What chance of him scroing 10 test hundreds before he hangs up his boots ?? :D

C_C

International Captain
how constructive, mate.

Tell me what has vettori done to be considered a 'good' spinner ?

_Ed_

C_C said:
how constructive, mate.

Tell me what has vettori done to be considered a 'good' spinner ?
I think his efforts against Australia have been superb, 51 wickets @ 33.45, especially this performance at the WACA when Warne only took two for the match so it wasn't a spinners' wicket by any means. Not comparing Warne and Vettori I must point out, that would be ridiculous, but it just shows that Vettori is capable of being very good.

He has had a very poor couple of seasons recently but in the last year or so he looks to be on the improve again. I hope so at least!

shaka

International Regular
Everyone treats Vettori's bowling with respect is a good sign of him being a good spin bowler. In my opinion he is the best left arm spinner in the world today.

C_C

International Captain
_Ed_ said:
I think his efforts against Australia have been superb, 51 wickets @ 33.45, especially this performance at the WACA when Warne only took two for the match so it wasn't a spinners' wicket by any means. Not comparing Warne and Vettori I must point out, that would be ridiculous, but it just shows that Vettori is capable of being very good.

He has had a very poor couple of seasons recently but in the last year or so he looks to be on the improve again. I hope so at least!

Well a lotta spinners have succeeded against Australia really, considering that one genuine chink in the aussie armour is playing quality spin..... Kumble, harbhajan, Murali, Saqlain, etc. have done excellently against Australia as well...
And when it comes to playing spin, the benchmark is India, not Australia, followed by SL over the last 10 years or so.
Against them, Vettori has done diddley squat. He is a decent spinner who might turn out to be good but as of now, he is merely decent and has a long long way before he can compare with other great/excellent slow left arm orthodox bowlers like Bedi, Iqbal Qasim, etc.

Zinzan

C_C said:
how constructive, mate.

Tell me what has vettori done to be considered a 'good' spinner ?[/QUOTE)

he's taken 200 test wickets (and is still only 26).

C_C

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
C_C said:
how constructive, mate.

Tell me what has vettori done to be considered a 'good' spinner ?[/QUOTE)

he's taken 200 test wickets (and is still only 26).

And ???
How has he done against the best of the best, how has he done overall, pray tell ?
I am sure a decent spinner could rack up 400 wickets if they play long enough at 35-40 average...but that aint mean squat really.

Zinzan

C_C said:
zinzan12 said:
And ???
How has he done against the best of the best, how has he done overall, pray tell ?
I am sure a decent spinner could rack up 400 wickets if they play long enough at 35-40 average...but that aint mean squat really.
You asked what he'd done to be considered a "GOOD SPINNER" didn't you?? Not a "GREAT SPINNER. I would have thought a test spinner claiming 200 wickets would suggest he's a "good spinner"??

No-one is suggesting he's one of the greats.

How dare we celebrate his 200th test wicket. We should have known better :p

C_C

International Captain
Well, beneath the greats are the good ones......if Murali-Warne-Kumble are 'greats', then bowlers like Harbhajan, Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed, etc. are 'good'.
Vettori is further down the list, hence i said he is decent.

Tim

Cricketer Of The Year
1st of all, he's taken 200 wickets playing less than half his amount of cricket on the sub-continent. And then, you add to fact that he at times doesn't get a bowl in NZ because he's not required due to the pitches.

The fact that he's taken 200 wickets at just the age of 26 coming from New Zealand is a good achievement and he'll certainly take a lot more from here on in.

Natman20

International Debutant
C_C said:
Well, beneath the greats are the good ones......if Murali-Warne-Kumble are 'greats', then bowlers like Harbhajan, Saqlain, Mushtaq Ahmed, etc. are 'good'.
Hey I dont know how you rate good bowlers mate but vettori is one good player at the moment and is improving. Get over it already he is a good player

C_C

International Captain
Tim said:
1st of all, he's taken 200 wickets playing less than half his amount of cricket on the sub-continent. And then, you add to fact that he at times doesn't get a bowl in NZ because he's not required due to the pitches.

The fact that he's taken 200 wickets at just the age of 26 coming from New Zealand is a good achievement and he'll certainly take a lot more from here on in.

Err that is incorrect and overstating it really.
Vettori averages 41 overs per match. In NZ, he averages 37 overs per match. Thats mere 4 overs less- hardly 'he doesnt get a bowl in NZ ' scenario.
Excluding BD and ZIM, the only team he averages less than 29 with the ball against is Sri Lanka.
33+ ave againt OZ, 55+ vs IND, 36+ vs ENG, 100+ vs PAK, 73+ vs RSA and 29+ vs WI alongwith 22+ vs SL.
That is a rather mediocre record.
And yea, he's taken 200 wickets....but that is really an indictation of how long he's played, rather than a testament to his class.
He takes less than 4 wickets/match and for a strike bowler and that too a spinner, that is rather ordinary.
Its like Afridi- he might score 10,000 runs in ODIs but that will be due to his longetivity rather than his class...

Nate

You'll Never Walk Alone
I honestly reckon Vettori has been one of the best spinners in recent times. He bowled awesomely against Australia in Australia.

Zinzan

C_C said:
Clearly Vettori is now a better bowler than his career record suggests. Its a bit like Flintoff in that if you simply look at his statistics they look ordinary. But like Flintoff, anyone thats watched test cricket (as opposed to simply breaking down statistics) in the last year will acknowledge Vettori is one of the better players around at the moment.

Steulen

International Regular
Let's not forget he has a good chance of playing in the Super Series in October. He's definitely a very good player, and a good spinner.

C_C

International Captain
zinzan12 said:
Clearly Vettori is now a better bowler than his career record suggests. Its a bit like Flintoff in that if you simply look at his statistics they look ordinary. But like Flintoff, anyone thats watched test cricket (as opposed to simply breaking down statistics) in the last year will acknowledge Vettori is one of the better players around at the moment.
Well, every dog has his day and form is temporary but class is permanent.
I dont go by form much, really.
Sure, he could be on form NOW but that doesnt make him a good/great bowler...its like Vengsarkar when he had 3 monster seasons in a row ( or something close to that) in the mid 80s......that didnt make him a Viv, did it ?

Zinzan

C_C said:
Well, every dog has his day and form is temporary but class is permanent.
I dont go by form much, really.
Sure, he could be on form NOW but that doesnt make him a good/great bowler...its like Vengsarkar when he had 3 monster seasons in a row ( or something close to that) in the mid 80s......that didnt make him a Viv, did it ?
No it didn't....but strange example as Vengsarkar was a fantastic batsmen in his own right.

On Vettori - Many including myself do believe he does have class and believe he's starting to really mature from an average bowler into a very good bowler particularly when you realise he's just 26. Time will tell of course.

shaka

International Regular
If he did not get injured a couple of years ago he would be well on his way to 300 test wickets by now.

Zinzan

shaka said:
If he did not get injured a couple of years ago he would be well on his way to 300 test wickets by now.
Not quite ...don't think he has missed that many tests thru injury