• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Commonwealth Games Thread

Blaze

Banned
age_master said:
yeah thats why there is only 1 from NSW and 1 from ACT

Picking 7 players from all the aussie super 14 players would be tough - Giteau and Tiquiri pick themselves, i reakon George Smith and Phil Waugh might get a shot, David Lyons would be unstoppable (much like he is in the 15 man version).

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Seriously though I reckon Aussie could field a very decent team.

The likes of Sailor, Gerard, Mortlock and Drew Mitchell would all be contenders.

An All Star NZ team would be unstoppable though

Sivivatu, Rokocoko, Rico Gear, Roy Kinikinilau and Nonu would just carve up.

Voltman - Is Oreni Ai'i still playing overseas or has he retired?

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Rugby 7's is possibly 50,000 times better than 15 a side rugby, and i dont mind 15 a side rugby.

7's is so good, 7 minute halves with open fields is so exciting.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
benchmark00 said:
Rugby 7's is possibly 50,000 times better than 15 a side rugby, and i dont mind 15 a side rugby.

7's is so good, 7 minute halves with open fields is so exciting.

nah it slike 20/20, nice for a little while, but its too gimiky and isn't as good as the real thing - that said its perfect for something like the comm games

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
Oh right - I must admit the 7s holds a fair bit of interest for me because we can at least compete with only 7 a side compared to our 15 man game, but I thought that the 14s was the big thing over there?
Just because Alan Lewis thought the All Blacks should play almost half the match against England with 14, that doesn't mean we usually play like that. :p

barmyarmy

U19 Captain
luckyeddie said:
No they didn't.

England did - and the track cycling is one of the (few) events where Britain regularly do well at the Olympics too. Bad example.

I didn't have you down for being one of these people who think that if you can't win, there's no point in entering.
Sorry, I meant England for the cycling although I've been using Britain as an umbrella term for the performances of the 4 home nations combined.
Britain won 1 Gold, 1 Silver, 2 Bronze medals at Athens in Cycling. They've won 1 Gold, 2 Silver, 1 Bronze already after three events. As a better comparison the British swimming team won 2 bronze medals in Athens and have already won 2 golds and 2 bronzes after the first day of competition.
Britain had, by all accounts, a fairly exceptional Olympics in 2004 taking away 29 medals. The teams stated target for Melbourne is 120.
I don't think the problem is, if you can't win there's no point in entering. I think the problem is winning all the medals somehow makes us think we're good at sport when we're not winning in a truely international event.
How many of the Commonwealth nations do you think have Velodromes or Olympic-sized swimming pools?
I'm also annoyed because coverage has taken over 5-live in the mornings so I'm now waking up to commentary of swimming rather than the usual :D

PY

International Coach
Voltman said:
Just because Alan Lewis thought the All Blacks should play almost half the match against England with 14, that doesn't mean we usually play like that. :p
:baby: :p

PY

International Coach
:laugh:

Sorry mate, you won the game obviously but I just get annoyed that Kiwis were complaining about the ref when the infringements by your lot in that game were shockers yet you complained about them even though you won. I just thought it was a great game of rugby which ended in a fair result.

'Tis silly even talking about rugby with a Kiwi at the moment considering the gulf between our sides. :(

Blaze

Banned
PY said:
:laugh:

Sorry mate, you won the game obviously but I just get annoyed that Kiwis were complaining about the ref when the infringements by your lot in that game were shockers yet you complained about them even though you won. I just thought it was a great game of rugby which ended in a fair result.

'Tis silly even talking about rugby with a Kiwi at the moment considering the gulf between our sides. :(
Not wanting to open another can of worms but Chris Masoe's yellow card in that match was a joke, in fact the last half an hour of that game Alan Lewis was focussing on infringements from one team and one team only:ph34r:

In saying that England did play above expectations that day, it was a very exciting game.

Smudge

Hall of Fame Member
PY,

I can't really comment on them, as I haven't seen the match. I've heard two of the cards were fair but, as Blaze says, Masoe's was a shocker. by all accounts.

Blaze

Banned
Lol England beat Fiji and then choke in the final of the 7's.

That has to be our best win out of the 3 simply because we have been playing so poorly this year.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Blaze said:
Lol England beat Fiji and then choke in the final of the 7's.

That has to be our best win out of the 3 simply because we have been playing so poorly this year.
Think you've gotta give yourselves more credit there, not so much a choke by us as a top defensive effort by you. We fell off too many tackles.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Think you've gotta give yourselves more credit there, not so much a choke by us as a top defensive effort by you. We fell off too many tackles.
I just wanted to call England chokers...

We were awesome.

_Ed_

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, we won...and they can't take that away.

Sorry. I just felt we all needed that.

Blaze

Banned
BoyBrumby said:
Hey! Go England. Silver now at worst. Tait looking mightily impressive. :)

I must admit, Tait looked very impressive. But 7's is totally different from 15's. Guys like Oreni Ai'i carved the 7's circuit to pieces and he rarely transformed that form to 15's.