• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Collingwood out, annoys the hell outa me, whhy value personal milestones so much???

mohammad16

U19 Captain
I dont get it, why does the number 100 mean so much to players, i simpyl dont understand

collgingwood and kp in a great partnership, trying to save or win the game for england, WHY ON EARTH would u have nervous 90s in that situation?? why, u no if u jus save this test match its one of the greatest feats ever in cricket, but i simply dont understand the 2 shots he attempted in the 90s, that one that jus fell short of a feilder at long on.

I play club cricket in canada, ive reached a few 50s and 100s, but i never got nervous in the 90s, i never really cared, unelss my team was on top and we were worried bout loosing the match, if ur team is killing it, then fine think bout ur 100 and celebrate it.

but i simply dont understand how an exp crickteter at international level would even think of attempting the 2 shots collingwood did

first to take on Long on??? why, collingwood was surely looking for the front page headlines rather then the benifit of the team.

this isnt really only a critisism at colligngwood, but really all players who get nervous in the 90s 190s when there is a much greater job at hand,

really one fo the most stupid shots ive seen, and i seem to see too many of these shots these days in international cricket which is inexcusable

Perm

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
People remember if you score a good century, not many people remember if you score a good 90.

Matt79

Global Moderator
Yep, whether its irrational to value 100 way more than 99, selectors, history, peers, the media and the public all tend to do so, so its hard to blame players for doing so as well.

telsor

U19 12th Man
He got out coming down the pitch and trying to hit Warne straight...Just like he'd done several times before in the innings. Maybe he was a little more keen under the circumstances, and perhaps he made a mistake because of that, but regardless, it's hardly the worst example of "nervous 90's" anyone has seen, and may not be at all.

Why, if someone gets out in the 90's is it put down to nerves, while if the same guy gets out in the 80's, it's just a bad shot?

UncleTheOne

U19 Captain
mohammad16 said:
I dont get it, why does the number 100 mean so much to players, i simpyl dont understand

collgingwood and kp in a great partnership, trying to save or win the game for england, WHY ON EARTH would u have nervous 90s in that situation?? why, u no if u jus save this test match its one of the greatest feats ever in cricket, but i simply dont understand the 2 shots he attempted in the 90s, that one that jus fell short of a feilder at long on.

I play club cricket in canada, ive reached a few 50s and 100s, but i never got nervous in the 90s, i never really cared, unelss my team was on top and we were worried bout loosing the match, if ur team is killing it, then fine think bout ur 100 and celebrate it.

but i simply dont understand how an exp crickteter at international level would even think of attempting the 2 shots collingwood did

first to take on Long on??? why, collingwood was surely looking for the front page headlines rather then the benifit of the team.

this isnt really only a critisism at colligngwood, but really all players who get nervous in the 90s 190s when there is a much greater job at hand,

really one fo the most stupid shots ive seen, and i seem to see too many of these shots these days in international cricket which is inexcusable
Aren't you the guy in the Pakistan v West Indies thread who wanted Shaid Afridi back in the side? The daddy of batting like a complete prat.

PhoenixFire

International Coach
Yeah what an idiot!!!! I mean, why would you get nervous playing against the best team in the world, in one of the biggest series of all time, and nearly reaching what would be your first hundred against Australia, what a loser!!!

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
mohammad16 said:

How does it feel to not be human?

Scaly piscine

Collingwood regularly comes down to the spinners (and in the 90s before as skd says), unfortunately he just made a complete arse of himself this time - it's still a percentage shot in the right circumstances, I don't think these were them tho.

Mr Mxyzptlk

Request Your Custom Title Now!
As ugly as that shot was, I don't consider it as rubbish as the original by Mark Ramprakash in 2001. That's probably because Ramprakash is an inferior Test batsman to Collingwood. It was a quality innings.

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
I actually think Boycott summed it up perfectly today.

When a batsman is positive in that way (ie Pietersen, Flintoff to name 2 others) and it works, then he's lauded, so why castigate him when it doesn't work?

FaaipDeOiad

Hall of Fame Member
marc71178 said:
I actually think Boycott summed it up perfectly today.

When a batsman is positive in that way (ie Pietersen, Flintoff to name 2 others) and it works, then he's lauded, so why castigate him when it doesn't work?
I agree on general principle, but there was no need to be so "positive" under the circumstances. It's one thing to put a bad ball away, and another thing to charge down the wicket at a leg-break and miss it by six inches when you're trying to save a test. It was stupid every time he did it, not just the one he got out. Same with Pietersen trying to hook everything in the last 5 overs of the day.

It wasn't as bad as Flintoff's shot by any stretch, or Ramprakash's or even the Geraint Jones shot against Warne at Old Trafford last year. It was pretty silly though.

Matteh

FaaipDeOiad said:
I agree on general principle, but there was no need to be so "positive" under the circumstances. It's one thing to put a bad ball away, and another thing to charge down the wicket at a leg-break and miss it by six inches when you're trying to save a test. It was stupid every time he did it, not just the one he got out. Same with Pietersen trying to hook everything in the last 5 overs of the day.

It wasn't as bad as Flintoff's shot by any stretch, or Ramprakash's or even the Geraint Jones shot against Warne at Old Trafford last year. It was pretty silly though.
Pretty much exactly how i feel about the matter.

mohammad16

U19 Captain
UncleTheOne said:
Aren't you the guy in the Pakistan v West Indies thread who wanted Shaid Afridi back in the side? The daddy of batting like a complete prat.
i wanted afridi back from the crowd stand point, not nessecaliry porduction
and also with afridi the team knows what gamble they are taking, so they are prepared if he fails, but u dont expect someone like collingwood to paly the two shots that he did

mohammad16

U19 Captain
PhoenixFire said:
Yeah what an idiot!!!! I mean, why would you get nervous playing against the best team in the world, in one of the biggest series of all time, and nearly reaching what would be your first hundred against Australia, what a loser!!!
yea and completely forget that maybe they would wnat to try and save the test match?

mohammad16

U19 Captain
Mr Mxyzptlk said:
How does it feel to not be human?
i dont care what u say, u cant justify those shots at all, i can think of alot of other players in this game who would have not attempted those shots, especially not the second one once the first attempt was a complete failure

Matteh

mohammad16 said:
i dont care what u say, u cant justify those shots at all, i can think of alot of other players in this game who would have not attempted those shots, especially not the second one once the first attempt was a complete failure
Strauss, Flintoff etc....