• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Clarke quits as T20 captain

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Totally oblivious, clueless aren't they.

Hilditch on the phone: "What is it, fatigue? You're a key part of our T20 batting lineup moving forward". :laugh:
Hilditch: "please don't leave clarkey. PLEASE. what's the problem? is it me? I can change. I CAN CHANGE"

pup11

International Coach
Of course he wouldn't. Cameron White the obvious replacement here.

To be honest, Clarke has made grand gestures like this in the past, like skipping the IPL to show how focussed he is on Tests. It doesn't really matter that much to me. What I want to know is how hard he's working to get back into form. Matt Hayden would spend hours after hours in the nets, showing an amazing dedication to his game and doing whatever it takes to be the best. I'd like to see that from Clarke as well.
Couldn't agree more with this, Ponting gave up the T20 captaincy after the last Ashes defeat and Clarke is doing it after this one.
Its just a gimmick in my book and also a bad move for his career, its for everyone to see how T20 cricket has helped so many players around the world to improve their all-round game.
Clarke should have given up the captaincy and should have then tried to make it back into the team on merit, but to turn his back on the format at the age of 29 rather than trying to improve goes to show how dedicated and mentally strong he really is.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
In other news, Alistair Cook thinks T20 is batting through 20 Tea breaks in a series...

Last edited:

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Really don't mind the decision at all, think it's for the best. Especially if it does allow Clarke to get more Domestic cricket under his belt. At least, according to the statement in the link, the players themselves are seeing the need to play more cricket at the state level, and not getting too primadonna about it.

pup11

International Coach
White is capt... Paine VC. Not surprising.
Paine as VC...!! I mean c'mon he is just an average player and I can't understand why he is being rated so highly. Matty Wade is a better keeper and a far better batsman than him.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Paine as VC...!! I mean c'mon he is just an average player and I can't understand why he is being rated so highly. Matty Wade is a better keeper and a far better batsman than him.
WADE. What a brilliant talent. Selectors pick Finch- and rightly so- but wade offers just so much more than Paine. Well maybe not SO much, but gosh he hit it sweet.

pup11

International Coach
Really don't mind the decision at all, think it's for the best. Especially if it does allow Clarke to get more Domestic cricket under his belt. At least, according to the statement in the link, the players themselves are seeing the need to play more cricket at the state level, and not getting too primadonna about it.
How exactly is not playing in a maximum of 7 T20I's a year, that are scattered through the cricketing calendar gonna help anyone play more domestic cricket!?
If Clarke really thinks he isn't any good to play T20 cricket, then he also should review his place in the ODI side because its not as if he is much better in that format either.

Spark

Global Moderator
Paine has a solid domestic T20 record tbf. I would say though that given the rumors around that this seems to be another case of sounding out a young player for a future leadership role which is... frustrating.

Spark

Global Moderator
In other news, Alistair Cook thinks T20 is batting through 20 Tea breaks in a series...
:laugh:

Every cloud has a silver lining :laugh:

Hopefully, this is the first of many long overdue changes

Edit: Hold on, the article says that Ponting is expected to return as test captain - you have to be ****ing kidding
Hasn't that been the assumption from CA all along? I don't see evidence of any sort of move in CA to make Clarke permanent captain ATS

Last edited:

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
Maybe this should get Brad Hodge into the team? A (regular) selection long overdue, surely?

pup11

International Coach
Well they've gone with his Victorian opening partner Finch, no Hodge again i'd figure.
Finch is a bit similar to Hodge tbh, they both are pretty similar in terms of build and style of play, hopefully he plays a lot more games for Australia than Hodge did.

Capt Blackadder

Cricket Spectator
Yes indeed. Good to see more Victorians getting a game. Here is hoping we show that we are not a spent nation just yet at least in the lesser forms of the game.

pup11

International Coach
Paine has a solid domestic T20 record tbf. I would say though that given the rumors around that this seems to be another case of sounding out a young player for a future leadership role which is... frustrating.
I don't care who they make the captain of the T20 side, but all this talk of Paine captaining the Australian test side one day makes me cringe.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Paine as vice captain suprises me, has he been involved in the T20 setup much? I like Paine a lot as a cricketer but this just smacks of the Australian hierarchy not learning from their mistakes.

Noble One

The selection of Tim Paine as vice-captain isn't of major concern for me. Brad Haddin will surely be the regular vice-captain behind White in future Twenty20 games.

From the other names selected only David Hussey would be a good choice. It is a very inexperienced side or contains players that I would not be comfortable with in a leadership role (Watson, Warner, Lee and Johnson).

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Wouldn't mind if Haddin was given the wide berth in T20; he's not proven himself to be all that great at it.

Noble One

Wouldn't mind if Haddin was given the wide berth in T20; he's not proven himself to be all that great at it.
Good point. For one of the cleanest strikers of a cricket ball, Haddin is quite poor in the format. He does get shuffled around the batting order repeatedly; he has never batted in the same position for more than 3 innings straight. Hard to understand your role I can imagine if moving so much.